Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unexpected AmEx Approval

tag
iCoop
Regular Contributor

Re: Unexpected AmEx Approval

I just logged in to the AmEx site using the new login info, different from my delinquent AmEx card, and my cardmember date is 2012... How do I go about getting it changed to my older date without trigerring them to close the new account since the older cardmember date is linked to a card that is not fully paid off?

I logged into the old account and it states the account is cancelled and limited therefore It doesn't have the option to add my new card to the account. Once I pay off the account next week I wonder if they will be able to see my cancelled account and just update the new account with the previous cardmember date.

Starting Score: EQ 675 | TU 688 | EX 702
Current Score: EQ 795 | TU 788 | EX 770
Goal Score: 750 (Across All 3)

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 21 of 28
chan85
Established Contributor

I would try sending an email through the website. I have seen a lot of people get stuff done through that, and I think I recall hearing about backdating.

I know you are worried about setting them offf, but fact of the matter is, they already know about your previous debt, so if it bothered them, they wouldn't have approved you. I did the same thing in college with running up a card, but I PIF back then. Fast forward to a little over 2 years ago, and I got approved for a Zync card. Mine came backdated to 2007 which was when my Amex Green was originally opened,  but I have never been hesitant to ask them for anything, use my card how I want, and I've pressed the scary check spending ability button a few times before.

I don't think we should live in fear of a credit card company. If they tried to FR me, I would refuse and let them close it. I think they see you are a good customer, especially with you paying back the full amount of the settled debt. Ask for what you want, worst they can say is no.

Current Debt Management:
$15k Trinity Financial Management (scheduled pay off late 2021)
$10k NFCU
$350/mth Bridgecrest Auto Loan
Goals: Pay off credit card debt & buy a new home before end of 2020

Long Term Debt:
Fed Loans - $150k
Navient - $100k

Taking a "if God don't do it, it won't get done..." approach to paying these off.
Message 22 of 28
iCoop
Regular Contributor

Great reply and thank you.

I already called earliertoday even before receiving the card to activate. The rep went ahead and submitted the request for my account to be backdated as she was able to find my old account. She also placed the order for the new card with the previous member since date. But like you've stated, if they decide later to hound me about the account then I'll simply end my relationship and work on my other accounts.

Message 23 of 28
chan85
Established Contributor

No prob! Glad it worked out for you!

Current Debt Management:
$15k Trinity Financial Management (scheduled pay off late 2021)
$10k NFCU
$350/mth Bridgecrest Auto Loan
Goals: Pay off credit card debt & buy a new home before end of 2020

Long Term Debt:
Fed Loans - $150k
Navient - $100k

Taking a "if God don't do it, it won't get done..." approach to paying these off.
Message 24 of 28
onebigdot

Hi. Just wondering if your card was backdated after your request. If so, how long did it take before it was reflected on your online account?

TIA!

Message 25 of 28
improvingmycredit
Valued Contributor

@iCoop wrote:

I wonder whether it will have a new membership date or the original date I joined.

Congrats on your Approval! Welcome to the Amex family!

I'm curious for posterity's sake... did you get approved for the corp AU account through your employer?  Many have asked this question and I'm curious about your results.  Thanks and again.... Super Congrats!

Starting Score: 642
Current Score: EQ 773, EX 780, TU 777 (All FICO)
Goal Score: 800+

Cards: NFCU Flagship 50K, DC 30K, BCP 28.6K, Arrival+ 25K, Citi DP 22.8K, CSR 20.5K, TotalRewards 25K, QuickSilver 20K

Message 26 of 28
iCoop
Regular Contributor

@onebigdot yes my card was backdated after my request and it took about 24 hours for it to reflect online.

@improvingmycredit thank you and I haven't applied for the corp card just yet. I'll post back when I do.

Message 27 of 28
onebigdot

Thank you. A similar thing happened to me. New cards and online account state member since 2012 even though I had an old CO account in 2006. Will call and request for backdating. Thanks again and congrats!

Message 28 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.