Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unwanted/Unauthorized inquiry

tag
Kennie02
Frequent Contributor

Unwanted/Unauthorized inquiry

So I was on chat w/ BofA looking to get a CLI. I just did a BT and wanted a little extra wiggle room. I specifically asked the agent if it would be a HP. She said it would be a SP. I would not have done it otherwise because I already have too many HP. It turns out the as I am on chat w/ her I get an alert from Credit Sesame that I have an new inquiry on my TU!! I asked her about it and she claims that they needed to pull my CR but it would fall off unlike a HP. Is this true? Anyone have experience w/ this?? I have never heard of it before. To make matters worse, I got the 5-7 day message from her... I am fuming! If it does turn out to be a HP is there anyway to get it removed? After the chat I was given a survey and I listed on there what I was told. Also, that I would escalate this issue any way I can if necessary. I kept a copy of the chat too.... 

NFCU cash $25k | BofA Custom Cash $25k | Amex BCP $18k| Costco Anywhere $14.5k | Apple Card $5.25k | Cap One QS $4.5k | Sephora Visa $4k | Discover It $3.5k | Citi DC $3.5k | Citi AA Mile Up $3.1k | Chase Amazon $3k | Amex ED $3k | Chase IHG $3k | Chase Freedom Unlimited $2.5k | Chase Freedom $2.5k | Citi Rewards $2k | Last HP 8/16/22
Starting score 09/2013: 530 Current FICO 8:
Credit Age:
New Accounts:
Inq (6/12/24M):
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Unwanted/Unauthorized inquiry

Good job making a copy of the chat. For what it's worth, the only time i saw a false inquiry was on credit sesame. Its been wonky like that for me ever since they changed from experian to transunion. Reported a lowes inquiry from a sp that never showed up anywhere else. Hopefully thats the same in your case.

However, they also basically told you it was a hp..

While usually we should all expect a hp when seeking a cli, you might have a case because of the copied chat.

Good luck and hopefully someone else here can help you!
Message 2 of 11
Kennie02
Frequent Contributor

I know! I know! Always expect a HP when asking for credit. It's my own fault but I just can't believe it. I feel like she mislead me, gave me wrong info. It just doesn't feel right or like great customer service. It's why I decided to go the chat route instead of clicking the luv button. I would hope that their CSR's were knowledgeable and honest people. I really hope you're right and it's a false inquiry.... I will just have to wait and see...

NFCU cash $25k | BofA Custom Cash $25k | Amex BCP $18k| Costco Anywhere $14.5k | Apple Card $5.25k | Cap One QS $4.5k | Sephora Visa $4k | Discover It $3.5k | Citi DC $3.5k | Citi AA Mile Up $3.1k | Chase Amazon $3k | Amex ED $3k | Chase IHG $3k | Chase Freedom Unlimited $2.5k | Chase Freedom $2.5k | Citi Rewards $2k | Last HP 8/16/22
Credit Age:
New Accounts:
Inq (6/12/24M):
Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Do you subscribe to myfico or cct? Or have a way to check reports?

You'll be fine. Worst case, its one hp. No worries
Message 4 of 11
Kennie02
Frequent Contributor

I subscribe to MyFico but it only for Equifax. I have credit karma and they monitor TU so I will see when it updates again. I don't know what cct is... Yeah 1 HP but it will make for 11 total! Smiley Sad DH and I want to buy a house next summer so I am trying to keep those down.... Oh well... I guess I will just have to deal... Thanks for your input! Smiley Happy

Credit Age:
New Accounts:
Inq (6/12/24M):
Message 5 of 11
taxi818
Super Contributor

Sorry op ma little research would have revealed. All cli request unless auto are Hp's with boa. Hopefully you get it removed. And hopefully you got the cli. 

Message 6 of 11
woodsie1
Regular Contributor

@Kennie02 wrote:

I subscribe to MyFico but it only for Equifax. I have credit karma and they monitor TU so I will see when it updates again. I don't know what cct is... Yeah 1 HP but it will make for 11 total! Smiley Sad DH and I want to buy a house next summer so I am trying to keep those down.... Oh well... I guess I will just have to deal... Thanks for your input! Smiley Happy

CCT is credit check total. It gives you daily updates of your experian report & score and updates TU and EQ three times a month. I only pay $15 a month

Starting scores TU: 537 EQ: 571 Current Scores 8/2015 TU:641 EQ: 641EX: 643
4000 3600 30006200 VS: 2450 NY&CO: 2320

Message 7 of 11
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Sadly, the rep was mistaken. BOA's consumer requested CLIs are always a HP. You may be able to get it removed, since they told you otherwise, but going forward you need to anticipate a HP for CLI.

This is why I'm not a big BOA fan. If you notice, they have nothing but issues, misleading reps, bad customer service...

Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Under the Dodd-Frank Act it is very illegal for ANY bank or financial company to mislead you or lie EVEN if they do so on accident. You have proof. I would call the Executive Office or CEO contact and ask nicely for them to remove it and let them know you have proof. 

Most cases this will work. If it does not then escalate the issue to the CFPB abd BBB. If this does not work then escalate to AG for your state. Of course last ditch effort is a Small Claims Lawsuit under the Dodd-Frank Act. Also I would google your state laws because here in Texas we have a Texas Financial Code that has TONS of very good consumer protections that exceed the FCRA. 

Hopefully you have no issues getting it removed. 

Message 9 of 11
kdm31091
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Under the Dodd-Frank Act it is very illegal for ANY bank or financial company to mislead you or lie EVEN if they do so on accident. You have proof. I would call the Executive Office or CEO contact and ask nicely for them to remove it and let them know you have proof. 

Most cases this will work. If it does not then escalate the issue to the CFPB abd BBB. If this does not work then escalate to AG for your state. Of course last ditch effort is a Small Claims Lawsuit under the Dodd-Frank Act. Also I would google your state laws because here in Texas we have a Texas Financial Code that has TONS of very good consumer protections that exceed the FCRA. 

Hopefully you have no issues getting it removed. 

Going to small claims court over a credit inquiry is probably a waste. By the time the matter has been settled, the inquiry will long since have stopped impacting the OP's credit. I understand as a matter of principle wanting to get things rectified, and I would certainly contact BOA and provide my proof. However, I'm not sure I'd go so far as a court case for something so minor like this.

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.