cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Verve card One of the worst offers ever!

tag
morgacj2004
Valued Contributor

Verve card One of the worst offers ever!

So I was pre-approved for the Verve Visa. $500 ICL 30.74% APR $125 AF, monthly maintenance fee of $10 per month, Addl Card Fee $30, 3% FTF. You get the picture. This one is not only NO but Hell NO! Sorry to see these companies preying on unsuspecting consumers.

AX Hilton Aspire 20k, AX Bonvoy Brilliant 15k, AX BCP 2k, AX Blue Bus Cash 15k, AX Delta Air Platinum 49k, (AU) AX Delta Gold 15k, AX Amazon Prime Bus 25k, BC Uber 29k, AKUSA FCU -10k , CITI AAdvantage Exec World Elite MC 16.5k, Discover (2) 16k, Kohls-4k, VS Comenity $3k, BofA AK Air Siggy 9.8k, WF Propel AX 5k, JCP $10k PFCU Plat Rewards Siggy 39.5k, PFCU Power Cash Rewards AX 10.5k, NFCU Flagship 50k, CLOC 15k, CITI Costco 9.5k, GAP VISA Synchrony $9k,Target MC 9k, Ulta MC Comenity 9k, Pay Pal 1k, CO Venture One 23k, US Bank Radisson Rewards Signature 10k, US Bank Fred Meyers World MC, 11k, US Bank Plat VISA 15.7k, VS Comenity 2k, 240k total available credit. Utiliz-2%, Current FICO EQ-724, EX 763,TU 802 ,Chapt 7 BK D/C 11-2012. Starting scores 520-550
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Verve card One of the worst offers ever!

@morgacj2004 wrote:
So I was pre-approved for the Verve Visa. $500 ICL 30.74% APR $125 AF, monthly maintenance fee of $10 per month, Addl Card Fee $30, 3% FTF. You get the picture. This one is not only NO but Hell NO! Sorry to see these companies preying on unsuspecting consumers.

I'd jump on the offer now before the Feds raise the Prime Rate again and you get a bad APR with the offer.

Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thats a garbage subprime card from Continental Finance. I got their "Surge" card via a similar offer about 2 years ago when I started my rebuild. I sadly accepted because there wasnt much else and I needed credit to build. Terrible card but reported every month to all 3 bureaus. 

The real question I have is why youre getting pre-approved offers like this with your scores and current cards. 

Message 3 of 13
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Thats a garbage subprime card from Continental Finance. I got their "Surge" card via a similar offer about 2 years ago when I started my rebuild. I sadly accepted because there wasnt much else and I needed credit to build. Terrible card but reported every month to all 3 bureaus. 

The real question I have is why youre getting pre-approved offers like this with your scores and current cards. 

These sub prime card issuers bottom feeders seem to think they can broaded their base for some reason. I got a pre-approval mailer last week for Credit One - "up to" $1500 CL, $75 AF, and I didn't look any further before tossing it in the trash. I refused to subject myself to these usury terms when I was just rebuilding from a 2010 BK7, why they think we would now is beyond me. I'd almost rather visit Larry the Loan Shark and risk some broken fingers for a late payment.

Message 4 of 13
morgacj2004
Valued Contributor

No idea why I get these offers. Believe it is because I still have a BK showing. I am not yet getting offers from A lenders in the mail. 

AX Hilton Aspire 20k, AX Bonvoy Brilliant 15k, AX BCP 2k, AX Blue Bus Cash 15k, AX Delta Air Platinum 49k, (AU) AX Delta Gold 15k, AX Amazon Prime Bus 25k, BC Uber 29k, AKUSA FCU -10k , CITI AAdvantage Exec World Elite MC 16.5k, Discover (2) 16k, Kohls-4k, VS Comenity $3k, BofA AK Air Siggy 9.8k, WF Propel AX 5k, JCP $10k PFCU Plat Rewards Siggy 39.5k, PFCU Power Cash Rewards AX 10.5k, NFCU Flagship 50k, CLOC 15k, CITI Costco 9.5k, GAP VISA Synchrony $9k,Target MC 9k, Ulta MC Comenity 9k, Pay Pal 1k, CO Venture One 23k, US Bank Radisson Rewards Signature 10k, US Bank Fred Meyers World MC, 11k, US Bank Plat VISA 15.7k, VS Comenity 2k, 240k total available credit. Utiliz-2%, Current FICO EQ-724, EX 763,TU 802 ,Chapt 7 BK D/C 11-2012. Starting scores 520-550
Message 5 of 13
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

@morgacj2004 wrote:

No idea why I get these offers. Believe it is because I still have a BK showing. I am not yet getting offers from A lenders in the mail. 

Yes, a BK showing may trigger these crap offers, but since a BK shows for 10 years they would waste alot of postage & printing cost if they didn't exclude folks who also show they have reestablished credit with reputable lenders with good APRs CLs, and ne fees.

A lenders don't mail offers to folks with a BK showing, we have to chase after them. The only A lender offer I've ever received was from Discover, but that was 4-5 months after they had rejected my app and they appoarently saw something on my CR report that changed their mind. It was a little over a month that a BoA CC showed up on my CR, and I think that was it. Anyway they approved me and we've both been happy since.

Message 6 of 13
morgacj2004
Valued Contributor

I get offers from these idiots several times a week. Postage costs don't seem to be an issue for them.  

Message 7 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@DaveInAZ wrote:

@morgacj2004 wrote:

Yes, a BK showing may trigger these crap offers, but since a BK shows for 10 years they would waste alot of postage & printing cost if they didn't exclude folks who also show they have reestablished credit with reputable lenders with good APRs CLs, and ne fees.

A lenders don't mail offers to folks with a BK showing, we have to chase after them. The only A lender offer I've ever received was from Discover, but that was 4-5 months after they had rejected my app and they appoarently saw something on my CR report that changed their mind. It was a little over a month that a BoA CC showed up on my CR, and I think that was it. Anyway they approved me and we've both been happy since.

Same here. Discover is the only prime lender I've had serious offers from since beginning rebuilding, and at that I had to take a relatively high APR (23.49%) - and you'd best bet I consider myself lucky to have been approved by them at any APR, not to mention a decent $2,500 SL! Oddly, I don't remember getting very many offers from these Verve people, even though having gone through Chap 7 BK I should theoretically be a prime (ahem!) target for them.

Message 8 of 13
bizarrocreditworld
Valued Contributor

I got this one back in January and forgot about it until I saw it in my "shred" pile of documents last night. In the future, when I see something like this, it's going in the express lane to the shredder.

Verve should be called Nerve, as in "we have the nerve to charge over 30% interest plus an AF and monthly maintenance fee that makes First Premier look almost respectable."

No credit news is good credit news!
Message 9 of 13
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Man, i would trade my Navy $500 for this any APRil just so i can say im the only one with a $125 AirForce credit limitSmiley Wink
Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.