Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Walmart Credit Card approved

tag
FloridaState12
Established Contributor

Walmart Credit Card approved

Went ahead and applied for a Walmart card...figured, what the hey? I shop at Walmart all the time, I can add some $$ to my overall credit limit, my credit is already going to take a dive (of sorts) when these other 2 new accounts hit (Citi and AMEX), and I get a free FICO every month. 

Sadly, I was only approved for $400 CL. This seems like somewhat of a slap in the face given I just got a Citi card for $4,000, and I'm assuming they pulled TU which my score is 713-ish...seems like a low CL. Does anyone know if GEMB is good with giving CLI's? Now I don't know if it was worth the hit or it Smiley Sad

All this after I swore to myself I would not apply for anything else until at least 2012. Smiley Tongue

Photobucket
Message 1 of 24
23 REPLIES 23
Guava
Established Contributor

Re: Walmart Credit Card approved

Congrats! GEMB seems to be pretty easy with CLI recently. There were a bunch of threads about members getting all kind of increase; and supposedly, just like clockwork, you can initiate soft pull CLI every 4 statements.

Starting Score (08/11/11): TU08: 643
Current Score: TU08: 741
Goal Score: Stay in the 700s; keep reports clean

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 24
ltorres25
Regular Contributor

The fact that you got an instant approval makes me nervous. I to applied for a cc with walmart but was told to wait a few days for a response. I mine as well chalk this one up in the loss column Smiley Sad

Congrats on your approval, although only 400 but it is still something that can help your score.

| TU FICO: 747 | EQ FICO: 746 | EX FICO: 741 | Last HP: 5/20/15 |
Message 3 of 24
FloridaState12
Established Contributor

Thanks guys. I know I should feel happy, but I can't help but feel disappointed at my limit. I think I just let that Citi card with an usually high limit get to my head...now I scoff at these lower limits, when I really have no business having huge CL's given my age of accounts (all <1 year).

Yes, I was instantly approved, but just because you weren't doesn't mean you didn't get it! There are tons of people who don't get approved instantly but still get approved in the end...just be patient. Do you have income, itorres? I was stupid and applied for a crapload of things when I was 18 with NO income...denied on all. You have to have a job with income or you're going to have a helluva time getting approved.

Photobucket
Message 4 of 24
notmyj
Regular Contributor

I got my walmart card back in december. My scores were around 625. I got an instant $1100. This summer, I hit the love button on my BBRZ Mastercard and they doubled my limit to $600. Upon seeing this, I hit the love button from walmart and they gave me another $100, making my current limit $1200 with a 0 balance. Infact, I just payed everything off in full this month.  But, last month I got an American Eagle card also from GEMB, and I only got a $125 limit so take that for what its worth.

BK7 Filed 6/4/18
341 7/13/18
SCORES
7/19/18 Pre Discharge TU 8 572 EX 8 566
Message 5 of 24
FloridaState12
Established Contributor

Should I call and immediately request a CLI? Or does that seem desperate...or greedy, I suppose? Smiley Very Happy

Photobucket
Message 6 of 24
KIPPIE12
Established Contributor

You already took the hard for it anyway, try them and see what they say.  Tell them you are dissatisfied with the initial credit line, and tell them what you expect.  Could cost you another hard, or maybe only a soft.  Or, they may tell you to show some activity and payment pattern for the infamous 4 month timeframe, and then hit the cli button. Four months will be here and gone before you know it.

Good luck either way, and keep us informed as to what happens.

Current Score: EQ: 828, EX: 833, TU: 820 Citi TY Premier WEMC 46.5, (Since 1983)Discover 15.6k|BOA WMC 30.5k|Barclays Juniper Rewards 15k|Barclays Amex 20k| Cap One QS WMC 15K|Chase Freedom VS 19.3k|Citi Dividend WEMC 25k|FNBO 15.5k|CSP 22.1K|Chase Marriott 31.3k|Citi TYP 20K|Citi DP 16.5k|Macys 5k|Sams MasterCard 15k|Barclay Arrival Plus WEMC 18.7k|Chase IHG WMC 26k|Citi Double Cash 10k|Chase MileagePlus Explorer 14k|Amex Everyday 16.2|BBVA Amex 22.5k|Total Rewards VS 12.5k|SGV 10K|Venture 12k|BOA Virgin Atlantic WEMC 11.2K|MB Amex 9.5k
Message 7 of 24
CreditCrusader
Valued Contributor

@FloridaState12 wrote:

Should I call and immediately request a CLI? Or does that seem desperate...or greedy, I suppose? Smiley Very Happy

With where your credit scores are right now, I'd just use and pay that thing off each month because you'll be first in line for a fat jump. When you hit the luv button in 4 months, they'll probably jack your limit up above $1,000.

In my wallet: Apple $5,000, local CU $15,000, Bread AMEX $5,000. In my sock drawer: A few other cards Smiley Happy

Current scores (EQ, EX, TU): 787, 788, 796
Message 8 of 24
sheaoaurus
Established Member

GEMB was pretty nice to me. I applied for a Banana Republic Visa earlier this week and they gave me $2200 with an instant approval.  I was like Smiley Surprised at the register.  Maybe they will raise yours after a while!

MyFico Equifax 10?20 - 732

What's in my Wallet: Amex Zync | Amex BCP | Chase Freedom | Bank of America Power Rewards 123 | Banana Republic Visa | Capital One |
Message 9 of 24
sweetschuni
New Contributor

@ltorres25 wrote:

The fact that you got an instant approval makes me nervous. I to applied for a cc with walmart but was told to wait a few days for a response. I mine as well chalk this one up in the loss column Smiley Sad

Congrats on your approval, although only 400 but it is still something that can help your score.

Did you find out if you were approved?

Licensed REALTOR in the state of Georgia - "Far and away the best prize that life has to offer is the chance to work hard at work worth doing" Theodore Roosevelt

Message 10 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.