Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wells Fargo...Hard or Easy?

tag
Repairman
Established Contributor

Wells Fargo...Hard or Easy?

Anyone with experience know how hard it is to get a Wells Fargo credit card in comparrison to other lenders? I was just recently approved by Discover and was approved by AMEX last summer. I am looking for a good 0% APR balance transfer card to manage a $10,000 balance from another higher interest card. ANd I don't currently bank with Wells Fargo.

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
creditguy
Valued Contributor

Re: Wells Fargo...Hard or Easy?

Very conservative and relationship based bank. If your scores are good and overall profile is clean you should have luck. However no guarantee you'll get close to the limit your looking for, plus not banking with Wells Fargo means you have to apply in branch, I'd personally look at other options if possible.
Message 2 of 11
ScoreOrBeScored
Valued Contributor

Don't waste your time..... If that's all your looking for, you'd Be better off with a CU card for that.

WF is a waste of energy. I just wasted energy reading and responding to your thread. Lol

they aren't worth it and I would look else where.

Message 3 of 11
ibmrad7
Established Contributor

WF CC = CR@P

Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Repairman wrote:

Anyone with experience know how hard it is to get a Wells Fargo credit card in comparrison to other lenders? I was just recently approved by Discover and was approved by AMEX last summer. I am looking for a good 0% APR balance transfer card to manage a $10,000 balance from another higher interest card. ANd I don't currently bank with Wells Fargo.

I had luck with them on a new cc about 3 months ago, I've been banking with them forever and have a good profile, quite a few inquiries, I applied for the Visa Rewards and was approved for $1,000, called the UW and asked for $15,000, took about 20 minutes and they approved me for the full amount. There was also a bt offer upon approval.

So it really depends on your relationship with them and how strong your profile is.

Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I wouldn't wish a WF card on anyone.  You've been warned.

Message 6 of 11
ibmrad7
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I wouldn't wish a WF card on anyone.  You've been warned.

This!!!!

WF is my oldest account.. probably 9 years. 2250 SL and it's still sitting on that same limit. Granted I don't have banking relationship with them anymore but besides that my report is clean of any derogatories and most of my accounts have CLs of over 15K. 

Message 7 of 11
UncleB
Credit Mentor

I have relatives who have a card with Wells Fargo, and it's neither stellar or horrible for them, it's just 'meh'.

There are a couple of reason a card with Wells might be something to consider.  If you have a checking account with them, you can use your credit card as an overdraft protection funding account (it's expensive if you ever use it, though). 

Also, some Wells cards have a cell phone protection benefit if you use the card to pay your bill.  Granted, it's not enough for many people to run out and apply, but it could be useful for some.

https://www.wellsfargo.com/credit-cards/features/cell-phone-protection/

Finally, it's already been mentioned but Wells really likes 'relationships', and unless there's been a recent change you need to already have another account with them to be able to apply online, otherwise you have to visit a branch.  This alone is a show-stopper for many people.

Message 8 of 11
baller4life
Super Contributor

They are extremely conservative and if approved, their limits tend to not grow very much. I banked with Wells Fargo for 10 years and they still denied me credit while everybody else was giving me tens of thousands of dollars in credit. I cut all ties with WF last year! Good riddance! Smiley Mad
Message 9 of 11
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@baller4life wrote:
They are extremely conservative and if approved, their limits tend to not grow very much. I banked with Wells Fargo for 10 years and they still denied me credit while everybody else was giving me tens of thousands of dollars in credit. I cut all ties with WF last year! Good riddance! Smiley Mad

+1

My very first experience with 'dipping my toe back in the water' when I started rebuilding was to apply for a card with Wells Fargo.  My application was summarily declined due to the baddies (no big surprise there).  A few months later I got an 'offer' (pre-approval) with USAA and I was approved with them; I clearly ended up in the better place.

It's ironic that now when I log in to my Wells checking, I routinely get an offer to apply for their Visa card with a rate of 22.24% (!), but I simply click past it... I only use their checking as a secondary account, and I now have much stronger cards.

If I still used them for my primary checking, I might (?) consider their card simply for OD protection, but even that would be something that I would really have to think over.

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.