Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What could I qualify for?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

What could I qualify for?

I hope this is the right board. I need some advice in getting credit. Desperately need some furniture. I have a Rooms To go account but its only at $1000. I tried to get a CLI to $3000 last week on their automated telephone line but I got the “we will send our decision by mail” malarkey.

Would I have more luck with perhaps Home Depot, or somewhere else?

My credit report as of today: (only have 10 months of credit history since I am new to the US from the UK)

TU – 617

EQ – 620

I have 6 accounts open all in good standing no missed payments

Credit card utilization 54%

No collections

10 hard inquiries (ouch)

I also really would like a new mobile phone (really keen on the iphone x or 8) is it possible to get this with zero deposit?

Am I being too ambitious lol? Just wondering what others have had luck in getting approved for. Would rather figure out my chances first than to go ahead and get denied and take on another hard hit on my credit. 

Thanks

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: What could I qualify for?

If those scores are from Credit Karma throw them away because they're useless scores.  Get your FICO scores instead.

Desperate for furniture and a cell phone both sound like luxuries to me.  What is your emergency savings balance right now?  What are your balances on credit cards right now versus limits?

Message 2 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes from Credit Karma. Really? Can I get my FICO scores for free ?

Just moved into a new place and don't have any furniture so we kind of do need a few bits. And my current phone has stopped working properly, I can't see part of the screen and I need it for directions etc.

Balance on RTG is $700. Discover balance is $70.

Message 3 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

wrote:

Yes, Discover offers free TransUnion FICO for cardholders monthly, it usually comes out around the time of your statement. They also have a separate site creditscorecard (different login than your Discover account) that offers monthly Experian FICO for free, and you don't have to have a credit card with Discover.

Citi offers free Equifax FICO (bankcard version, not traditional) monthly for most of their cardholders but this one is slow. Amex offers free Experian FICO too.

Message 4 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you so much that's really helpful. I will check it out with Discover.

wrote:

wrote:

Yes, Discover offers free TransUnion FICO for cardholders monthly, it usually comes out around the time of your statement. They also have a separate site creditscorecard (different login than your Discover account) that offers monthly Experian FICO for free, and you don't have to have a credit card with Discover.

Citi offers free Equifax FICO (bankcard version, not traditional) monthly for most of their cardholders but this one is slow. Amex offers free Experian FICO too.

Message 5 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

wrote:

If those scores are from Credit Karma throw them away because they're useless scores.  Get your FICO scores instead.

Desperate for furniture and a cell phone both sound like luxuries to me.  What is your emergency savings balance right now?  What are your balances on credit cards right now versus limits?

Furniture sound like luxuries? Really? 

Message 6 of 14
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Hi Op, you can get your fico scores at credit check total for $1 on a 7 day trial , just cancel before the end of 7 days. Once you have those we can guide you to better options. Rooms to Go, i believe is Synchrony Financial and are usually hp for credit limit increases. Synchrony increases are much easier once your TU score starts getting over 670.

Lol, ABCD, for some of us, furniture is a must, ie beds to sleep on etc and for most people having a working cell phone isnt a luxury but a mustSmiley Wink
Message 7 of 14
Remedios
Credit Mentor

OP, maybe you should try Walmart store card. There is no 0% period tho, so if you can't pay it in full, it might end up being a horrible deal.
Have you tried Discover pre-approval page?
Message 8 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Furniture before emergency fund is a luxury, yes.  Use moving boxes with a tablecloth to save money for a year.

Cell phones are dirt cheap at Best Buy or Target.  I once snagged some Android phone for $19.  Worked great for two years and now I run Alfred on it in my front window to watch for deliveries.

Goodwill or SalVal are good choices for furniture if you're really pressed for something.

Message 9 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

ABCD- Let's keep all of our Orr's in the water.
Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.