Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What could I qualify for?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: What could I qualify for?

wrote:

Furniture before emergency fund is a luxury, yes.  Use moving boxes with a tablecloth to save money for a year.

Cell phones are dirt cheap at Best Buy or Target.  I once snagged some Android phone for $19.  Worked great for two years and now I run Alfred on it in my front window to watch for deliveries.

Goodwill or SalVal are good choices for furniture if you're really pressed for something.

Agree with cell phone comment. Don't get why people with limited funds need a $1000 cell phone. You can get a budget phone that will run all the latest apps for under $50.

Craigslist a good spot for free/cheap furniture. Not mattresses or couches, those tend to stink like hell. Chairs, dressers, tables, desks can be had on the cheap.

Message 11 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

wrote:

I hope this is the right board. I need some advice in getting credit. Desperately need some furniture. I have a Rooms To go account but its only at $1000. I tried to get a CLI to $3000 last week on their automated telephone line but I got the “we will send our decision by mail” malarkey.

Would I have more luck with perhaps Home Depot, or somewhere else?

My credit report as of today: (only have 10 months of credit history since I am new to the US from the UK)

TU – 617

EQ – 620

I have 6 accounts open all in good standing no missed payments

Credit card utilization 54%

No collections

10 hard inquiries (ouch)

I also really would like a new mobile phone (really keen on the iphone x or 8) is it possible to get this with zero deposit?

Am I being too ambitious lol? Just wondering what others have had luck in getting approved for. Would rather figure out my chances first than to go ahead and get denied and take on another hard hit on my credit. 

Thanks

You may be too ambitious right now, to be honest. You need to let your score get higher before you can get any decent approvals. I'd say if you're super desperate for something RIGHT NOW, try these options while you wait for your score to get higher....

Freecycle. If you google it you'll find a site where you can search for your location, join that group and you can post ads looking for free stuff or reply to ads people have posted about giving stuff away. You won't find a phone this way, but you can find furniture.

If you can afford it, try Rent A Center or Aaron's or other similar places. In the end you end up paying a lot more than if you bought the furniture outright but at least with them you can make payments with no credit check. I know that Big Lots also has some sort of a thing where you can buy furniture and make payments on it, not sure how it works though or if it's offered at all locations.

Craigslist, of course. There is free and cheap stuff posted there a lot.

Thrift stores. It's not the most pretty furniture but it will work.

Walmart MIGHT approve you for a credit card.....and they have cheapish couches and stuff. But I wouldn't guarantee an approval, idk if it's even worth trying but I know they sometimes approve lower scores.

Amazon or ebay for a phone. Or try a cheap prepaid one if you're desperate for something to use until you can get a better one.

Message 12 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks all for checking me! In the back of my mind I knew I was being too ambitious, and need to calm the hell down, but sometimes you just need to hear it from somebody else. 

Message 13 of 14
beutiful5678
Frequent Contributor

Swappa is also a good choice for a used phone. They check the EIN to make sure it's not stolen or locked in by a finance plan (this makes it a better option than eBay). I got a 64GB iPhone SE for ~$300 a year ago and they're even cheaper now.

I think this is bordering on the personal finance aspect of credit cards but responsible credit card usage means not buying something with a credit card that you can't pay cash for now. Using credit cards in a pinch is okay, but it really isn't a good option and should only be limited to necessities.

EX 8: Aug 2021 - 692 | EQ 8: Aug 2021 - 714 | TU 8: Aug 2021 - 673
Message 14 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.