Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What counts as income?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

What counts as income?

I have been getting low credit limits on new cards and having a hard time with CLI's, and I think that may partially be because of a low income. ($30k) I am a student and I work a little more than part time as a well paid server, but all of my school costs are covered through financial aid (grants and scholarships, minimal loans). So my question is, it the amount of scholarship and grant eligible to be counted as income on applications for credit?

It totals about $27k/year, and pays for tuition, housing, and a meal plan. 

Message 1 of 26
25 REPLIES 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: What counts as income?

What do you consider low limits purely out of curiosity? We all have different versions of low...

Then I may be able to provide some personal experience with my limits related to income... As always YMMV...
Message 2 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

Scores and Utilization can help us help you.

Message 3 of 26
sarge12
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I have been getting low credit limits on new cards and having a hard time with CLI's, and I think that may partially be because of a low income. ($30k) I am a student and I work a little more than part time as a well paid server, but all of my school costs are covered through financial aid (grants and scholarships, minimal loans). So my question is, it the amount of scholarship and grant eligible to be counted as income on applications for credit?

If it helps, I put down 30K as my income and my average credit card limit is 10K and I have 15 cards. I doubt it is the income that is causing your problem...Are you at or near your credit limit on any card? In my experience it is often those that are at too high utilization, or balances reporting on too many cards that have low credit limits.

TU fico08=812 07/16/23
EX fico08=809 07/16/23
EQ fico09=812 07/16/23
EX fico09=821 07/16/23
EQ fico bankcard08=832 07/16/23
TU Fico Bankcard 08=840 07/16/23
EQ NG1 fico=802 04/17/21
EQ Resilience index score=58 03/09/21
Unknown score from EX=784 used by Cap1 07/10/20
Message 4 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

To answer OP's question - yes, scholarships and grants can be included. According to the amenment to the CARD act, borrowers over 21 can list any income which they have "reasonable expecation of access" and those 18-21 can report only independent income which still includes both scholarships and grants.

With that being said, I agree with what others have mentioned your low SL and CLI issues are more than likely not the result of low income stated on your application but the result over your overall profile.

Message 5 of 26
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

@sarge12 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

If it helps, I put down 30K as my income and my average credit card limit is 10K and I have 15 cards. I doubt it is the income that is causing your problem...Are you at or near your credit limit on any card? In my experience it is often those that are at too high utilization, or balances reporting on too many cards that have low credit limits.

You are doing awesome to have  a 10k average and 15 cards. My stated income is 100k and my average currently is only 7k  accross 32 cards, and my AAoA is 4 years 7 months and my oldest account is 18 years. Give it some time, your limits will grow as you get new cards and your income grows. With only a 30k income, your lenders are probably concerned about how you will pay them back  in a timely manner if you even use 30% of your total limits (guesstimated at  150k) which would be about 50k is more than 1.5x of your yearly income not including interest. 

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 6 of 26
thummel
Established Contributor

Your doing pretty well for having those limits at that income. My question is why do you want or need bigger limits? Why would you want a card with a 20K limit if your hardly going to use it? I understand the utilization part but I think that's just a little bit much, I think what you have right now is perfect for your income and spending.
Message 7 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

To answer everyone's questions, 

My SL on marriott is $5k, the lowest that card goes (not yet reporting).

USAA started at $500, now at $1500 with 50% reporting. 

CapOne started at $500, now at $2000, 0% reporting. 

I was just approved for AmEx BCE with SL $1k, which I would assume is the lowest SL. 

USAA and CapOne were both opened in 2/2016, showing 12 months of on time payments. 

I don't want or need a ton more of avaliable credit, I was mostly just disappointed that my CLI requests on USAA (denied for util, makes sense) and CapOne were denied, and that BCE was so low. Ideally, my total credit limit across all lines would be 50% of my income, either $15k or $30k depending on whether scholarships and grants are being counted. 

Message 8 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

To answer OP's question - yes, scholarships and grants can be included. According to the amenment to the CARD act, borrowers over 21 can list any income which they have "reasonable expecation of access" and those 18-21 can report only independent income which still includes both scholarships and grants.

With that being said, I agree with what others have mentioned your low SL and CLI issues are more than likely not the result of low income stated on your application but the result over your overall profile.

I wouldn't think that this is true.  I don't think the OP has access to that money.  When I received scholarships and grants, they went to the school, not me.  That money is allotted to school expenses.  Creditors want to know what you have access to in order to pay the bill.  OP does not have that money to pay on a credit card bill. 

I do think that income can limit how much a person gets as far as credit.  I don't know why someone who makes $30000 working part time needs a lot of credit.  As income increases, I would think that credit will.

Message 9 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

Bring all card balances to $0 except leave 1-9% utilization on one.  Let your reports update with that intact, then continue your app journey.

A good way to big lines is to get cards that grow well and quickly like Amex and Discover.  Grow the limits, then use those limits as leverage for apps at new institutions.

Message 10 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.