cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What has been your highest Spending Power Limit on your AMEX Charge Card?

tag
avp99
Frequent Contributor

What has been your highest Spending Power Limit on your AMEX Charge Card?

Good Morning Friends,

I just got my AMEX PRG card about a week ago.  I am wondering what others out there are getting in terms of their spending power.  I have checked a few times and it seems I am at 20k.  What has been  your highest SP on  your AMEX charge card??

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
DaJagman
Regular Contributor

Re: What has been your highest Spending Power Limit on your AMEX Charge Card?

Was raised to $35K when I got the 10K MR points for signing up for Amex Pay Over time about 6 years ago.  I never have used it.

FICOs: EX: 840, EQ: 850, TU: 841
Bank of America Cash Rewards 50k
Diners Club Premier 40k
Chase Sapphire Reserve 50k
American Express Platinum NPSL
Discover it 47K
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Tried $25k once and it was OK'd. I'd advise to not mess around too much with that tool, because Amex might get jumpy and give you a financial review.
Message 3 of 8
avp99
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous

wrote:
Tried $25k once and it was OK'd. I'd advise to not mess around too much with that tool, because Amex might get jumpy and give you a financial review.

Good advise, was just trying to get a sense of what was the spending power Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 8
DeeBee78
Valued Contributor

@avp99wrote:

Good Morning Friends,

I just got my AMEX PRG card about a week ago.  I am wondering what others out there are getting in terms of their spending power.  I have checked a few times and it seems I am at 20k.  What has been  your highest SP on  your AMEX charge card??

Most i've tried is $5K, and I've consistently been "approved" for that amount, but I'm hesitant to say they would actually approve it. At one point, I had a $2k balance due with a scheduled payment,  $1,600 of new charges, and Amex wouldn't approve an $800 airfare charge. Gave the spend to Blispay instead. I don't play these games. 

I have a Pay Over Time line on the account, but that doesn't mean they'll approve a $30K charge. 

Message 5 of 8
Berk
Established Contributor

@avp99wrote:

@Anonymous

wrote:

Good advise, was just trying to get a sense of what was the spending power Smiley Happy

Since it is a charge card, the spending power is whatever you can pay off completely by the  due date. Fail to do that and your spending power will be zero.

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymouswrote:

Yeah, this.

Message 7 of 8
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

If you have signed up for PoT you can select "Pay Charges Over Time" and on the left side under "Extended Payment Option" you'll see your PoT balance limit and to the right the related APR.   AMEX can technically still choose to decline a charge even if it wouldn't cause you to exceed your PoT limit.

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.