cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What requirements does USAA have to qualify for one of their cards?

tag
SCYD
Regular Contributor

What requirements does USAA have to qualify for one of their cards?

I 'm a full member of USAA.

I like to apply for one of their cards, however, I do not currently have a banking or any other relation with them.  I just became a member about a year ago because of my father-in-law.

My Equifax is around 702, Experian is 692 and Tranunion is 676 and I ahve bankruptcy  from 2010.

What are my chances of getting approved?

BK 7 DC'd 10/2010
Scores (03/17/16): EQ: 704 / TU: 725 / EX: 694 / Cap1 QS1: 6.5K / CU: 7.5K /
JC Penney: 10K/ Chevron: 4K / Target: 500 / Macy's 17.2K/ NFCU Sig. Visa Cash Reward:22K / NFCU Flagship 22K/NavChk:15K / NavChk:7.5K(joint)/WF Plat:15K / WF Propel Amex:5K/DIscover 10K/USAA Visa 14K/USAA Amex 14K/Nordstrom 10K/TJ MAxx 10K/BP Visa 6.5K
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
empiror22
Regular Contributor

Re: What requirements does USAA have to qualify for one of their cards?

they use equifax, for the most part for the pull (i have only had them pull equifax) my numbers were a little lower 670-680 for all 3.  but no BK, but i also said i had no income they gave me 2 cards with limits of 5k+ each so i would say that you have a good chance.  A little more about my credit file, had a few Collections from the middle 2000's, but only 3 cards at the time of applying, also have been a member for 10 years with checking/saving etc.... but my wife got a card and approved for car loan with no prior accounts.  hope this helps.

Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Can you apply with USAA for a credit card and auto loan with one hard pull on credit report. Do they allow to recon ? I have 619 equifax score  and 2 inquiries. (auto/paypal).

Message 3 of 10
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@SCYD wrote:

I like to apply for one of their cards, however, I do not currently have a banking or any other relation with them.  I just became a member about a year ago because of my father-in-law.

My Equifax is around 702, Experian is 692 and Tranunion is 676 and I ahve bankruptcy  from 2010.

Unfortunately, not that good.  USAA is not BK friendly.

Message 4 of 10
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

Can you apply with USAA for a credit card and auto loan with one hard pull on credit report. Do they allow to recon ? I have 619 equifax score  and 2 inquiries. (auto/paypal).

Separate pull for each product - YEMV.  USAA does not recon, unfortunately.

Message 5 of 10
CenturyChild
Frequent Contributor

I'd say you have a really good chance.

One good thing about them is if you apply for a card you want, and for whatever reason do not qualify, they will counter offer a different card w/terms tha tyou do qualify for.

So if by chance you dont get approved for the one you apply for, the HP won't be neccasarily wasted.

They should offer you something if they do not approve you for what you apply for.

Log into your account and check the My Offers tabs. Sometimes theres Pre-Approvals there. 

Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

haven't had any pre-approvals via Usaa in three years? i doubt getting one since i m non-military

Message 7 of 10
dapps06
Frequent Contributor

@SCYD wrote:

I have a question, I don't mean any offense by it I'm truly just curious. How do you have scores like that with such a recent bankruptcy? You have higher scores than I do and I've had to wait seven long years for my small handful of negative items to drop off, how in five years did you bounce back so quickly? This is for anyone who knows about bankruptcy, I don't know anything about it but I see people with recent bankruptcies post their scores all the time and I'm always amazed at how high they are.

Message 8 of 10
SCYD
Regular Contributor

@dapps06 wrote:

@SCYD wrote:

I have a question, I don't mean any offense by it I'm truly just curious. How do you have scores like that with such a recent bankruptcy? You have higher scores than I do and I've had to wait seven long years for my small handful of negative items to drop off, how in five years did you bounce back so quickly? This is for anyone who knows about bankruptcy, I don't know anything about it but I see people with recent bankruptcies post their scores all the time and I'm always amazed at how high they are.

I actually think my scores are on the low side, but I only started working on my credit 1 year ago. 

While I did file bankruptcy, I re-afiirmed my mortgage and then fought for 6 months with the mortgage company to start reporting, which gave me a 22 point jump and mistakenly they deleted all the lates and the foreclosure they filed on my mortgage when I spend 2 years trying to modify my mortgage..  I also re-affirmed on my 2 car loans at the time of bankrupcty because it was with the credit union.  If you're familiar with bankruptcy and credit unoins, you know you can't include one but not the other, so I couldn't include my visa card and not the cars, so everything was re-affirmed.  However, I went back to them a couple of years later and they deleted all my lates, which were quite a bit and when I got ready to buy a new car, they financed my new car with an amazing rate and they gave me a new visa card with a starting limit of $2,500.00 and they just bumped it to $7,500.00 (1 year later).

I made sure all my credit cards were paid on time in full and only let one report at 10%.  I requested CLI every 3-4 months and followed MYFICO community religiously.

I started on 04/14/14 with an Eq score of 603 with 2 Cap 1 cards with very low limits and a JC Penney card with a $500.00 limit and on 04/04/15 my EQ score is 702 with lots of new credit cards, while it's not fantastic, it has opened a lot of doors and I continue to work on it.

Hope this helps.  Best of luck to you.

BK 7 DC'd 10/2010
JC Penney: 10K/ Chevron: 4K / Target: 500 / Macy's 17.2K/ NFCU Sig. Visa Cash Reward:22K / NFCU Flagship 22K/NavChk:15K / NavChk:7.5K(joint)/WF Plat:15K / WF Propel Amex:5K/DIscover 10K/USAA Visa 14K/USAA Amex 14K/Nordstrom 10K/TJ MAxx 10K/BP Visa 6.5K
Message 9 of 10
SCYD
Regular Contributor

@CenturyChild wrote:

I'd say you have a really good chance.

One good thing about them is if you apply for a card you want, and for whatever reason do not qualify, they will counter offer a different card w/terms tha tyou do qualify for.

So if by chance you dont get approved for the one you apply for, the HP won't be neccasarily wasted.

They should offer you something if they do not approve you for what you apply for.

Log into your account and check the My Offers tabs. Sometimes theres Pre-Approvals there. 

I did try once before and they countered with a secured card, which I don't need.  However, my score were lower then.

BK 7 DC'd 10/2010
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.