cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's the tier of easiest cards to get with AmEx?

tag
cmm89
Frequent Contributor

What's the tier of easiest cards to get with AmEx?

I figure BCE is the easiest, Platinum is the hardest (of readily available cards). Where do the Delta Gold SkyMiles and Platinum SkyMiles fall on that list?

Thanks!

What I use (& strongly recommend): Chase Sapphire Reserve | BofA/ML (Premium Rewards VS, Cash Rewards VS, Merrill+ VS) | AmEx (Amazon Prime Business)

What I have: NFCU | PenFed | General Electric CU | Wright Patt CU | Discover | BBVA | Apple Card (GS)

Total CL with Bank of America = $100,000 (Platinum Honors Merrill Client). I am a CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER™ practitioner, so feel free to message me if you have any planning/credit questions.

EQ 759, EX 765, TU 771 (06/10/2022)

I started with scores in the 400s in 2016. This forum is a Godsend--focus on the journey, be patient, and you'll definitely get there no matter the circumstances!

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
9CLINE
Valued Contributor

Re: What's the tier of easiest cards to get with AmEx?

I don't think the BCE is the easiest or any revolver, last heard revolvers required higher scores and better files than entry level charge cards,,but don't quote me on it...said one of the delta charge cards was easier or had lower underwriting standards. I believe there are a few post about this on site...Good Luck 2 ya !!!!!!!!

Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@cmm89 wrote:

I figure BCE is the easiest, Platinum is the hardest (of readily available cards). Where do the Delta Gold SkyMiles and Platinum SkyMiles fall on that list?

Thanks!

I believe all revolvers have the same requirements and all the charge have the same, but different, than the revolvers. It seems from posts that the charge cards are easier to obtain than the revolvers. Others may have more info on this and will chime in.

Message 3 of 8
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

MrPTato is right from the evidence we've seen.  Serve would obviously have the lowest requirements.  Green/Gold/Platinum charge cards seem to have the exact same underwriting requirement, which is at a lower bar than Amex's revolving products.  The ED/EDP/Blue and BCE/BCP families appear on the surface to have the same requirements.  The one thing that would be a question mark for me (and maybe someone else can chime in) would be cobranded revolving cards.  Not sure if they are on the same level as the aforementioned families of revolvers, lower, higher, or tiered depending on the card.

Message 4 of 8
cmm89
Frequent Contributor

@K-in-Boston wrote:

MrPTato is right from the evidence we've seen.  Serve would obviously have the lowest requirements.  Green/Gold/Platinum charge cards seem to have the exact same underwriting requirement, which is at a lower bar than Amex's revolving products.  The ED/EDP/Blue and BCE/BCP families appear on the surface to have the same requirements.  The one thing that would be a question mark for me (and maybe someone else can chime in) would be cobranded revolving cards.  Not sure if they are on the same level as the aforementioned families of revolvers, lower, higher, or tiered depending on the card.

Thanks all. I was curious as to if there was more stringent underwriting for the co-branded cards. I got the BCE in May when I finally had decent enough scores to get approved for an AmEx, but was introduced with a $500 SL and no welcome offers. Yesterday, I app'd for the Gold Delta SkyMiles and got Instant Approval for $1K. I wanted to move the CL from the BCE over to the Delta Gold SkyMiles, but apparently I have to wait a year from when the BCE was opened, despite what a rep said over chat. That will be going in the SD.

They gave me the 20K Miles bonus and waived the annual fee for the first year, but no introductory APR or anything. I am Platinum Honors Plus w/ ML/BoA, and with the Cash Rewards card, I have absolutely no use for the BCE. I do want to continue to run spend through AmEx to build a relationship, hence why I got this card.

Thanks all for the insights!

What I use (& strongly recommend): Chase Sapphire Reserve | BofA/ML (Premium Rewards VS, Cash Rewards VS, Merrill+ VS) | AmEx (Amazon Prime Business)

What I have: NFCU | PenFed | General Electric CU | Wright Patt CU | Discover | BBVA | Apple Card (GS)

Total CL with Bank of America = $100,000 (Platinum Honors Merrill Client). I am a CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER™ practitioner, so feel free to message me if you have any planning/credit questions.

I started with scores in the 400s in 2016. This forum is a Godsend--focus on the journey, be patient, and you'll definitely get there no matter the circumstances!

Message 5 of 8
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

@cmm89 wrote:

I am Platinum Honors Plus w/ ML/BoA, and with the Cash Rewards card, I have absolutely no use for the BCE.

That is a truly enviable combination.  With a Travel Rewards card added in, I could probably be happy making those the primary cards in my wallet.  Best to hold onto the BCE for now and make the most of 3X CLIs on the Delta, but I wouldn't hold my breath on Amex actually letting you move that $500 over when you close it - the last $500 has been very hit and miss on combination/closures.

Message 6 of 8
cmm89
Frequent Contributor

I have the Travel Rewards card as well, as a VS. The BoA cards are my daily drivers, except for Discover's 5% cashback at restaurants right now. Amex's Delta Gold will be right there as well.

As for the CLI's on the BCE -- I tried at 61 days, no bueno. I think it's on Credit Steps. Kinda funny, $1,500 between two cards w/ AmEx, but BoA is willing to extend me $10K on the Trav Rewards and $5K on my Cash Rewards.

Message 7 of 8
mr_awesome
Established Member

I was approved for Delta Gold but not for a non co-branded card, so I think the criteria is slightly higher for the AMEX-only cards.

My guess is the criteria for charge cards and co-branded cards is similar, then the no-AF versions of the various AMEX revolvers, then the AF-versions of the revolvers.

My hunch about the no-AF then AF cards is due to the pre-approvals I've seen my partner have--his credit isn't stellar, and only the Green and no-AF revolvers are pre-approved for him.  He's still never been approved for one, but as wel all know, it's never just about the score.

Payding down debt to prep for a mortgage.

Cards in my wallet: Amex Gold, Chase Sapphire Preferred, Lowes Advantage

Sock drawer: Lots of old store cards and not great no-rewards cards for history and utilization padding, some lame no AF cards I drunk-apped

Next Cards: AMEX Everyday and Chase Freedom?
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.