Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's with Cap1?

tag
ksiss
Valued Member

What's with Cap1?

So a little back story.  My Cap 1 platinum card was my very first CC that I received in 08 when I was first starting out, building my credit.  I was very thankful at the time, because it wasn't a secured card nor did it have an AF, which I was very grateful for considering that I had zero credit history at the time.  I utilized the card, paying it off monthly, and within the year was able to CLI from $500-$1500.  I relatively quickly moved on to better cards, namely my USAA World MC that I currently have a $21,000 CL on.  I believe I last used my Cap1 Platinum card in 09.

Fast forward to last week, when I received an offer in the mail from Cap1 to upgrade my very first card to a Quicksilver card.  "Oh nice!  Cap1 seems interested in getting me back on board!"  Or so I thought as I logged into my account to accept the offer.  What can be more perfect than to be able to upgrade the oldest card on my CRs without any hard pulls or applications and for a practically defunct card to be useful to me again so that I can continue to gain that oh so valuable time toward account age?  Well there was just one matter that needed to be taken care of, before this switch was going to be at all useful to me.  That paltry $1,500 CL!  I mean, what good is the card to me, when one tank of gas can make a pretty significant impact on my credit utilization?  So I quickly and easily accepted the offer for the product change and then promptly applied for a CLI.  Surely Cap1 can see with my current income, and obvious interest in their offer, that it would be sensible to give me a dignified credit limit so that I have incentive to use the card.  Well, when I submitted the application for the CLI I was disappointed to see that it wasn't an instant decision and needed to be reviewed.  2 business days later, I receive the reply.  Denied...nothing...nada.  Reason?  No recent utilization of the Platinum card.

So what's the deal with Cap1?  Why are they going to offer me this "upgrade" in hopes that it will spur me to utilize their card again, but pretty much make it worthless to me with an almost insulting CL?  Makes absolutely no sense.

TU: 783 EQ: 793 EX: 773
Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: What's with Cap1?

@ksiss wrote:

So a little back story.  My Cap 1 platinum card was my very first CC that I received in 08 when I was first starting out, building my credit.  I was very thankful at the time, because it wasn't a secured card nor did it have an AF, which I was very grateful for considering that I had zero credit history at the time.  I utilized the card, paying it off monthly, and within the year was able to CLI from $500-$1500.  I relatively quickly moved on to better cards, namely my USAA World MC that I currently have a $21,000 CL on.  I believe I last used my Cap1 Platinum card in 09.

Fast forward to last week, when I received an offer in the mail from Cap1 to upgrade my very first card to a Quicksilver card.  "Oh nice!  Cap1 seems interested in getting me back on board!"  Or so I thought as I logged into my account to accept the offer.  What can be more perfect than to be able to upgrade the oldest card on my CRs without any hard pulls or applications and for a practically defunct card to be useful to me again so that I can continue to gain that oh so valuable time toward account age?  Well there was just one matter that needed to be taken care of, before this switch was going to be at all useful to me.  That paltry $1,500 CL!  I mean, what good is the card to me, when one tank of gas can make a pretty significant impact on my credit utilization?  So I quickly and easily accepted the offer for the product change and then promptly applied for a CLI.  Surely Cap1 can see with my current income, and obvious interest in their offer, that it would be sensible to give me a dignified credit limit so that I have incentive to use the card.  Well, when I submitted the application for the CLI I was disappointed to see that it wasn't an instant decision and needed to be reviewed.  2 business days later, I receive the reply.  Denied...nothing...nada.  Reason?  No recent utilization of the Platinum card.

So what's the deal with Cap1?  Why are they going to offer me this "upgrade" in hopes that it will spur me to utilize their card again, but pretty much make it worthless to me with an almost insulting CL?  Makes absolutely no sense.

It doesn't matter that your credit has improved or that your income is higher to them. Your product remains a subprime product in their internal systems and that is all it will ever be, unfortunately. What can you do about it? Give them the boot.

In the future if you feel like applying for a better product, feel free to do so but don't expect any miracles. The Venture however is currently giving out respectable limits and CAN be PC'd to VentureOne or QS.

Message 2 of 18
NRB525
Super Contributor

@ksiss wrote:

OP, you are thinking about utilization incorrectly in this case.

Utilization, to squeek a few more FICO points out of your existing score, can be managed, yes, for new apps.

Utilization, when you are trying to get a CLI from a bank like CapOne, needs to be heavy. Will it ding your FICO a few points? Yes. Will it get you a higher CLI if you run charges through a limit like $1,500? Most likely, especially with CapOne. Does CapOne care that your FICO is dinged from that utilization? Not in the least, as long as you are paying according to terms, preferably PIF.

Nixon is probably correct, this card may have reached it's limit, but you have this card to use to show CapOne what your spend and payment ability is. I would suggest using it rather heavily (like 60% heavily) and PIF after statement each month. Before long, when you app for a new Quicksilver or Venture, you will see a larger CL on those cards as a new app. And, yes, likely a double or triple pull to get the new card. That's the price of admission to a higher limit CapOne card.

Good luck!

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 3 of 18
ksiss
Valued Member

Yeah, it's funny, because I had already given them the boot for several years, but I guess I was mistaken on the "value" of this offer.  I'm frankly surprised that they never closed the account on me since I haven't used it in 6+ years.  Oh well.

Message 4 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

A $30K Venture credit line is just a few clicks away.

Message 5 of 18
ksiss
Valued Member

@NRB525 wrote:

@ksiss wrote:

Utilization, to squeek a few more FICO points out of your existing score, can be managed, yes, for new apps.

Utilization, when you are trying to get a CLI from a bank like CapOne, needs to be heavy. Will it ding your FICO a few points? Yes. Will it get you a higher CLI if you run charges through a limit like $1,500? Most likely, especially with CapOne. Does CapOne care that your FICO is dinged from that utilization? Not in ththanks e least, as long as you are paying according to terms, preferably PIF.

Nixon is probably correct, this card may have reached it's limit, but you have this card to use to show CapOne what your spend and payment ability is. I would suggest using it rather heavily (like 60% heavily) and PIF after statement each month. Before long, when you app for a new Quicksilver or Venture, you will see a larger CL on those cards as a new app. And, yes, likely a double or triple pull to get the new card. That's the price of admission to a higher limit CapOne card.

Good luck!

Thanks for the words of advice.  I think that's a high price to pay for a Cap1 card though haha.  Looks like I'll stick with mostly my USAA card.  Thanks again.
Message 6 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@NRB525 wrote:

@ksiss wrote:

Utilization, when you are trying to get a CLI from a bank like CapOne, needs to be heavy. Will it ding your FICO a few points? Yes. Will it get you a higher CLI if you run charges through a limit like $1,500? Most likely, especially with CapOne. Does CapOne care that your FICO is dinged from that utilization? Not in the least, as long as you are paying according to terms, preferably PIF.

Good luck!

Maybe.

I hardly used my QS cards in the months preceding my Venture approval for $10,000.

Message 7 of 18
NRB525
Super Contributor

With high 700's scores? You may want to think about that. The $30k Venture is indeed a possibility for your future if you use this card heavily for a short time, and check the Prequalification for the Venture and only go when it is at the 13.9% rate.

A triple pull fades quickly. A $30k CapOne Venture card is likely to be around for a long time.

May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
Message 8 of 18
NRB525
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@NRB525 wrote:

@ksiss wrote:

Good luck!

Maybe.

I hardly used my QS cards in the months preceding my Venture approval for $10,000.

This is the key part of that sentence Smiley Happy

OP sent this card to the deep freeze for SIX YEARS. That qualifies as "Hardly Used".

Message 9 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

that sucks...ohh cap 1 is not impressing me so far 

Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.