Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What to Apply for with new building credit

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

What to Apply for with new building credit

Hello, So i'm trying to build my credit. I have 2 CC which one is from BOA and the other is the Best Buy Visa Gold which is through Citi bank. My bank of america I have had for 8 months maybe more with a credit limit of $500, this was my first Credit Card. I applied for the Best Buy one a couple of days ago and was approved for $1000. At this point what are good Credit cards to apply for to help build my credit. My current scores on Credit Karma are both around 670ish and on my Bank of America says 704. I was pre-approved for AMEX and also other offers on credit karma. Any tips and ways to build my credit will be very helpful as i'm barely starting to build credit. 

13 REPLIES 13
Scupra
Super Contributor

Re: What to Apply for with new building credit

What do you spend on? Let's help you get a card you will use and benefit from Smiley Happy

Filed BK7: 7/2012 (start score EQ 560 / TU 529) Discharge 10/2012
801 EQ FICO 06/2022
797 TU FICO 04/2022
793 EX FICO 04/2022
$30k NFCU Platinum | $30.7k NFCU cashRewards Sig | $15k NavChek | $7.1k Cap1 Quicksilver | $10k Amazon Store | $19k Cap1 VentureOne | $16k Barclay Aviator | $5k Chase Freedom | $5k Chase Sapphire Preferred | $9k Costco Visa | $20k AMEX BCE | AMEX Gold | NFCU Platinum #2 $19.3k | Apple $8.5k
Message 2 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Scupra wrote:

What do you spend on? Let's help you get a card you will use and benefit from Smiley Happy

Thank you! I spend on gas,food,groceries and I travel a good amount. I tend to spoil myself with electronics here and there when I know I can afford it, that's why I applied for the best buy card even tho I had the money to buy the camera I was going to purchase.

Message 3 of 14
Sandman771
Valued Contributor

When you say that you travel, do you fly often? If so what airline? I'd get a co-branded card with that airline. Or if you would rather get one that is co-branded with your favorite hotel. Both methods build loyalty points/miles much faster 

Starting Score: EQ497/TU496/EX 499
Currently: EQ 620 TU 654 EX 627
in the garden since 6/16/2021
Message 4 of 14
Scupra
Super Contributor

Have you researched any of the AMEX products? I think your first choice would be to decide between cash back or rewards points.

801 EQ FICO 06/2022
797 TU FICO 04/2022
793 EX FICO 04/2022
$30k NFCU Platinum | $30.7k NFCU cashRewards Sig | $15k NavChek | $7.1k Cap1 Quicksilver | $10k Amazon Store | $19k Cap1 VentureOne | $16k Barclay Aviator | $5k Chase Freedom | $5k Chase Sapphire Preferred | $9k Costco Visa | $20k AMEX BCE | AMEX Gold | NFCU Platinum #2 $19.3k | Apple $8.5k
Message 5 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Sandman771 wrote:

When you say that you travel, do you fly often? If so what airline? I'd get a co-branded card with that airline. Or if you would rather get one that is co-branded with your favorite hotel. Both methods build loyalty points/miles much faster 

I usually fly delta all the time and sometimes drive with friends or family, I also tend to stay in Hilton or something similar. 

Message 6 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Scupra wrote:

Have you researched any of the AMEX products? I think your first choice would be to decide between cash back or rewards points.

Yes I have, went on their website and was Pre-approved for the Gold Card,Green Card and also the Blue Cash or Amex everyday not to sure but one of those. I want to apply but I'm scared I will get denied 

Message 7 of 14
Scupra
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Scupra wrote:

Yes I have, went on their website and was Pre-approved for the Gold Card,Green Card and also the Blue Cash or Amex everyday not to sure but one of those. I want to apply but I'm scared I will get denied 

Pick a card that fits your needs the best and apply. The worst that will happen is they will say no and you have one inquiry to show. You are pre-approved and that is a major plus. Good luck!

801 EQ FICO 06/2022
797 TU FICO 04/2022
793 EX FICO 04/2022
Message 8 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Scupra wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Scupra wrote:

Pick a card that fits your needs the best and apply. The worst that will happen is they will say no and you have one inquiry to show. You are pre-approved and that is a major plus. Good luck!

That is very true! Which would you reccomend or would be the easiest to get? 

Message 9 of 14
Sandman771
Valued Contributor

Delta has an AMEX that is fairly easy to get I've heard and Hilton has a co-branded AMEX as well that gets you one free night per year or soemthing like that and 5x stays... not sure about the details. 

Starting Score: EQ497/TU496/EX 499
Currently: EQ 620 TU 654 EX 627
in the garden since 6/16/2021
Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.