Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What to apply for next?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

What to apply for next?

Looking for some input on what card to apply for next based on the below data points.

Fico as of 5/16
EX 598
TU 595
EQ 628

Current cards
Capital One unsecured Platinum MC $300 (opened April 2017)
Walmart store card $200 (opened 5/20/2017)

I'm looking to add one more CC to have 3 open CCs reporting. I'd prefer to get something that's not a store card. Based on my scores, what cards might I have a chance at? Secured cards and SCT are last resort if my scores aren't high enough to get something unsecured from Discover, Amex, etc. Thanks!
Message 1 of 29
28 REPLIES 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: What to apply for next?

What does the Discover prequal page offer you in APR?

Message 2 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

11.74 - 23.74. I wonder if their SP is still pulling my old scores? My scores have increased quite a bit since March.
Message 3 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

For example, i apped Discover secured card in March. They pulled EQ and I was denied. My EQ at the time was 530. Now it's a 628.
Message 4 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

Definitely not a preapproval with that wide range.

Your scores are still very low for nonsecured cards.  I have similar scores myself and just did secured cards to get my aging started.

Message 5 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hopefully secured or SCT aren't my only options, but I'd really like to get that third open CC reporting.
Message 6 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

I personally have no issue with secured cards during rebuilding.  Why does it concern you?

Message 7 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

It's preference rather than concern. Being approved for two unsecured cards in the last couple of months changed my preferences since I thought I had no chance at unsecured cards previously. Im not saying im not open to a secured card.

Message 8 of 29
ohnomyfigo
Contributor

With scores that low I'd sit on the sidelines for a few months. You'll be surprised how much your scores will rise in just a few months. The only cards you'll be able to get now that unsecure are the Discover and BOFA (99/500) secured cards. 

Message 9 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the input! If I'm below the threshold for another unsecured card, i may just use the two I have (keep utilization below 9%) and pif for a few months and then evaluate scores.
Message 10 of 29
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.