Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When Applying for an AMEX

tag
App_Addict
Valued Contributor

Re: When Applying for an AMEX

@kdm31091 wrote:

I'm not really understand the question too well. First of all, they're not going to not approve for you for x, and then counter with y. It doesn't work that way. Even recon is simply recon for whatever you applied for. The most that some issuers (not really Amex) may do as far as "switching the product" would be to offer you a secured version if you can't get approved otherwise (i.e. BOA, Discover do this), but it's still the same product otherwise.

Apply for what you actually want, not what's popular or what you may get approved for. I could likely get approved for an Amex Green, for example, but I have no use for it and am not interested in a charge card, so why would I do it? There's no point. Credit cards aren't a game,  and each account you go for does remain on your report for ten years, so IMO, it's better to choose wisely based on what you actually want.

To answer the first part of your question, I have seen more than a couple of posts on here of people saying that they applied for one and immediately received an email offer for another, (I didn't make it up just reporting what some have said) I see many here saying that does not happen, I get it.  

My point for asking which way should I go when apping for one, is I would like (when I app) to get in with AMEX and start to build a relationship with, that is more important for me than any specific rewards that they may offer at this point, thus the reason I asked if one is easier than another and again I understand that this is not really the case that they for the most part have the same UW requirements.  

I'm probably not going to app until my score reaches 700 for I'm not obsessed with getting just wanting to continue to gain knowledge.  

CURRENT SCORES: TU: 698 21 Apps / EX: 644 28 Apps / AAoA: 4.4 Yrs. / Util. 5% / Goal: 750 by 12/22

Message 11 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

No green!

App for PRG if you are going for a charge card.
Message 12 of 13
App_Addict
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
No green!

App for PRG if you are going for a charge card.

Thanks Nixon, will do, when the time comes! 

CURRENT SCORES: TU: 698 21 Apps / EX: 644 28 Apps / AAoA: 4.4 Yrs. / Util. 5% / Goal: 750 by 12/22

Message 13 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.