Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When to app for next Amex card

tag
slund5499
Established Contributor

When to app for next Amex card

Got in the door finally, after 25 years, with Delta skymiles. Account opened on Feb 6th. After reading all the information about new CLI with Amex and not having to wait the 61 days....I tried for CLI today and was shot down (with the 7-10 day message). I think I have to wait now 90 days before CLI request. Current limit is still $1000.

Question is....since I got shot down for the ED and BCE earlier this month (same time I got approved for Delta)....how long to wait before I re-apply for BCE and/or ED?

In the garden since 02/1/23. Newest Account AU Discover It 10K
02/23 Scores; EQ 608 TU 642 EX 575 CCU: 20%, Inq. 2, 1, 2 Collections $39K
Lending Club: newest account 2/3/23. Old Fico 1/17 EQ 530 TU 542 EX 512

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: When to app for next Amex card

@slund5499 wrote:

Got in the door finally, after 25 years, with Delta skymiles. Account opened on Feb 6th. After reading all the information about new CLI with Amex and not having to wait the 61 days....I tried for CLI today and was shot down (with the 7-10 day message). I think I have to wait now 90 days before CLI request. Current limit is still $1000.

Question is....since I got shot down for the ED and BCE earlier this month (same time I got approved for Delta)....how long to wait before I re-apply for BCE and/or ED?

Congrats on the approval.  But what are the reasons for the 2 other denials?

Message 2 of 8
slund5499
Established Contributor

Have not received the decline letters (been 3 weeks since decline). I assume too many app, account too new, or FICO scoring.

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@slund5499 wrote:

Have not received the decline letters (been 3 weeks since decline). I assume too many app, account too new, or FICO scoring.

Ok.. The reason why I asked is the denial reasons gives you an opportunity to plan a stretegy for the next app.  If those are the reasons above, then if I were in your shoes, I'd give it a few months for my accounts to age, scores go up etc.  If you apply again soon, depending on when Amex soft pull you it may end in the same result. Patience and time is your friend when it comes to Amex.

Message 4 of 8
slund5499
Established Contributor

I really thought I would be able to get an increase like many others and not have to wait the 61 days. Guess it must have something to do with history of accounts. I don't know and I am disappointed because now I have to wait at least 90 days to get back on my CLI building scj=hedule instead of the original 61 days.....

Some you win and some you lose.

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@slund5499 wrote:

I really thought I would be able to get an increase like many others and not have to wait the 61 days. Guess it must have something to do with history of accounts. I don't know and I am disappointed because now I have to wait at least 90 days to get back on my CLI building scj=hedule instead of the original 61 days.....

Some you win and some you lose.

@Slunder5499,

As you already know, all the fingers are not equal and it is not fair others got an earlier increases.  But Amex have their reasons.  Do not let this get you down as 90 days is not that long.  Hand in there...

Message 6 of 8
slund5499
Established Contributor

No worries. Creditors treat everyone differently and it is all due to algorythms (pre-approval and instant approval). I simply want 2 more Amex revolvers for the high CL opportunities.....to bring down utilization.

As my current card limits manage to increase....I will dump my smaller Cl (First premier, Cap one secured) and then start working on closing out commenity back cards.

Depending on how the future treats me...I may opt away from Barclay, WF, US Bank and Merrick. Once I get my foot in the door with Bank America, Chase and Citibank....I will be set. I currently have enough open credit and don't want to take on more than $300 a month in payments until my installment loan is paid off.

Until then I will continue to run all my utilities and groceries through Barclay, Cap one and Amex.

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@slund5499 wrote:

No worries. Creditors treat everyone differently and it is all due to algorythms (pre-approval and instant approval). I simply want 2 more Amex revolvers for the high CL opportunities.....to bring down utilization.

As my current card limits manage to increase....I will dump my smaller Cl (First premier, Cap one secured) and then start working on closing out commenity back cards.

Depending on how the future treats me...I may opt away from Barclay, WF, US Bank and Merrick. Once I get my foot in the door with Bank America, Chase and Citibank....I will be set. I currently have enough open credit and don't want to take on more than $300 a month in payments until my installment loan is paid off.

Until then I will continue to run all my utilities and groceries through Barclay, Cap one and Amex.

Good decision and a good plan.  It will work as it always does.  

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.