cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When to apply?

When to apply?

I always just paid for everything In full not thinking I needed credit, not liking the Idea of borrowing money. Well, turns out It's a pretty big deal Smiley Tongue

So I decided to start with a Capital One Secured Card ($200 CL). I pay on time every month, and keep utilization under 10%.  My question Is, when should I apply for new lines of credit? 6 months, 1 year, 2 years, etc?

-Thanks 

2 REPLIES
Highlighted
Established Contributor

Re: When to apply?

Have you checked the pre-qualification site for Cap one? You can go there and see if your responsible usage has gotten you pre-approved for an unsecured card. 

Also what is your FICO on here? if the score is good enough you could try for another branded card as well assuming you've had that secured one for a few months. I read somewhere on here that it takes 6 months for a true FICO to generate. Good luck to you on your journey. lots of knowledge here on these boards. 

Starting Scores 03/17/2017 EQ 491 TU 495 EX 465 Currently 12/13/2017 EQ 586 TU 583 EX 569

$300 Open Sky/ $2K NFCU CashRewards/$5.1K NFCU GoRewards/ $1500 Discover Secured

Goal for April 600 across the board.
Message 2 of 3
Valued Contributor

Re: When to apply?

Id say Discover too

Chasex3/PenFedx3/NFCUx2/BofA/BMO/AMEX x5(4 revolvers +Platinum)/CapOnex2/DCU/Blispay/Cabelas/BBVA/Fifth Third/Banco de Brazil/BB&T/HSBC/Atira/Commerce Bank/State Farm Visa........I have them all. Except Barclays. They suck. And Sync. They suck worse! And Citi,, because I Have 9,000 Inq.
In the 520-530 range in 12/2015.... Currently EQ747/TU758/EX744
NFCU & PenFed are my best friends!!

In 3/2016 I had a $1800 fully secured CapOne QS. And that was it.. Current CL $247,000 (plus my auto and RV loans)
Message 3 of 3