Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which AMEX should I app for?

tag
abhowmick18
Valued Member

Re: Which AMEX should I app for?

Try applying for the AMEX Blue? No annual fee, solid rewards. Starts you off at a good amount and after 61 days you can go for a 3x CLI

Message 11 of 15
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@abhowmick18 wrote:

Try applying for the AMEX Blue? No annual fee, solid rewards. Starts you off at a good amount and after 61 days you can go for a 3x CLI

If you are going for no af revolver , why not ED. You get 2x groceries and 20% bonus for meeting 20 swipes i would think thats better than Blue ?

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 12 of 15
chalupaman
Super Contributor

@taxi818 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Maybe it's just me, but I would be too scared to carry a balance on AMEX for prolonged period of time. Especially when establishing a relationship. Maybe she could try a card specifically for this purpose like Chase Slate?

Scared of what? 

The Amex bear probably.

Tradelines: Macy’s - $18k, Penfed Power Cash Rewards - $10k, Ethan Allen (TD Bank) - $5.7k, Kay Jewelers - $5.5k, Appliances Connection - $5.3k, Jared - $5.25k, Best Buy (Citi) - $5k, Dell Preferred Account - $3.5k, Samsung - $3.2k, Firestone CFNA - $3.2k, Capital One Platinum - $3k, Mercury MC - $2.25k, Williams Sonoma - $2.1k, Wayfair (Fortiva) - $2k, Amazon Store Card - $1.8k, Apple Card - $1.7k, NFCU cashRewards - $1.5k, CareCredit - $1.5k, B&H Photo - $1.5k, Adorama - $1.25k, Ebay MC - $1k, Sam’s Club MC - $1k, American Eagle - $1k, Ollo MC - $600, Mission Lane Visa - $500, NY & Company - $500, Walgreens - $500, Home Depot - $500, Target RED Card - $500, CapOne Secured MC 0 AF - $500, Penfed Overdraft LOC - $500

Current FICOS: Mid 640s-50s on all reports, Ch 7 BK D/C Aug 2019
Starting scores: EX - 534, EQ - 574, TU - 516 | Total TLs: $91k approx | Total Utilization: 17%, getting this back down
Message 13 of 15
NRB525
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Well, not me, my mom

My mom and I are birds of a feather. While she has awesome credit- 735 FICO, only 3 tradelines (2 cap 1 with 11k, 9k,  and a disc with a 6k limit, never carries a balance) I am rebuilding. 

So since I am rebuilding and I am reading all the forums, I have learned so so so much-and I want to help my mom build a more robust credit file. While she does have a low interest mort, she does not have an installment loan.

Basically, we want to try to do the AMEX 3Xcli, because we vacation together and want to get all the points possible to stay at Disney/whereever.

So she and I sat down and did the prequal for Amex, and she got the Amex Preferred Credit Credit card with 0% for 15 months on BT, and then the Amex PR Gold Card (with the 175 fee and due at the end of the month.

We were shooting for the SPG card, but the Amex PCCC is 25k points for 1k of purchases, the other is 50k, for 3k of purchases.

I say she should shoot for Amex PCCC, but she wants info from you lovely people.

Her furnance just died, so she will be putting 5k into it- I told her she should try to charge it to Cap1, then BT to her new amex and pay it off rather than dip into her modest savings.

Happy Christmas!!!

The furnace repair can go on one of the CapOne cards. When that is done, however, be prepared to pay that bill monthly for the forseeable future. Do not go into making that card charge with any presumption of any BT amount not already in hand. The only known out you would have right now for a BT is if Discover provides you with a 0% or low interest BT offer. And they very well might, I am on a Discover 0% BT, and they keep sending me notices for that. Discover would probably love to get that $5k on a 0% APR 12 month or 18 month offer.

Your mom should apply for the EveryDay card. The ED Preferred and PRG have substantial AF that it sounds like she is not familiar with. True, the ED has a little bit lower points earning, but you aren't forced to try to use the card to justify the AF. That "AF to get more points" changes cardholder behavior.

Depending on the CL that is granted (and given scores and existing CL the AMEX ED CL could be adequate) then you can look at utilizing the 0% BT offer for the CapOne transfer. But she doesn't have the AMEX in hand yet, so again, know going in to using the CapOne that might be on that card for a while.

What are the interest rates on the two CapOne and the Discover Card? Has she gotten any 0% or 4.99% BT offers from Discover recently?

The Discover offers I get, on the same mailing, are 0% BT for 18 months, 3% BT Fee, or 4.99% BT for 24 months, No BT Fee. Both are great deals.

Good luck!

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 14 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

She was approved for the Every Day Preffered card, with a 13,9k credit limit. Its a weird limit, but hey- thats awesome.  Though with that kind of limit, I dont know if she will want to try the 61 day 3xcli trick. 

While 0% on BT are in effect for the card, she got a little nervous when others chimed in that AMEX may not like her keeping a balance on the card. She put it on her cap1 Venture, (its a 7.99 APR- Im not sure about the other cap1 or discover)

Right now, she is thinking about app'ing for a Hawaiian Airlines card, and taking 1/2 of the BT to that card, getting the miles for the round trips.  She has been frugal all her life, and extremely disciplined. While I would personally call Disc and try for a BT at 0%, she wants a trip. Cant say I blame her.

Yay myfico! Thank you everyone!!!!

For others who are curious, she app'd got the 7-10 biz days, and then got an email needing her to verify a few things. Today they emailed her about her limit, and asked her to set up the account.

Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.