cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which Am-Ex?

tag
Taylor814ce

Which Am-Ex?

Currently have Chase Sapphire and Freedom. I guess I need min of 3 cards to increase my credit score. I pay full each month. Current score is 760 average from all agency.

Again, it seems many likes Am Ex ...I honestly don't know why. 

So which Am Ex? 

While at it, can someone help me understand what so special about Am Ex? Half of the store don't even accept this card.

Thanks

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
JagerBombs89
Established Contributor

Re: Which Am-Ex?

I personally have the Blue Cash Everyday card.  It gives 3% on groceries (up to $6k/yr), 2% on gas and department stores, and 1% everywhere else.  I just use this as my grocery store card when either Discover or Chase isn't offering a quarterly 5% on groceries.

As far as why?  Because AmEx allows you to backdate your credit history for each subsequent card you open to your Member Since year.  There are numerous threads on backdating with Amex so just do a quick forum search for a more lengthy explanation.

Message 2 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@JagerBombs89 wrote:

I personally have the Blue Cash Everyday card.  It gives 3% on groceries (up to $6k/yr), 2% on gas and department stores, and 1% everywhere else.  I just use this as my grocery store card when either Discover or Chase isn't offering a quarterly 5% on groceries.

As far as why?  Because AmEx allows you to backdate your credit history for each subsequent card you open to your Member Since year.  There are numerous threads on backdating with Amex so just do a quick forum search for a more lengthy explanation.

+1 Also, AMEX is the only company that offers a 3x CLI after 61 days of account opening

Message 3 of 14
Chris679
Established Contributor

@Taylor814ce wrote:

Currently have Chase Sapphire and Freedom. I guess I need min of 3 cards to increase my credit score. I pay full each month. Current score is 760 average from all agency.

So which Am Ex? 

While at it, can someone help me understand what so special about Am Ex? Half of the store don't even accept this card.

Thanks

FYI,

If your score is 760 its unlikely a third credit card will raise your score higher.  The inquiry and new account will ding it short term and your AAoA will drop.  Having said that though I think American Express is a great company and I would certainly say go for it.  They are very liberal with CLI, have great customer service policys and are just an overall great company.  Blue Cash Everyday has no fee and a great reward structure that may mix well with what you have. 

Message 4 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

You only get one bonus per card (personal). Pick a card that has the highest signup bonus.

Amex prg is 50k MR $1000.00 spend.
http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Card-Applications/AMEX-50K-Bonus-1K-Spending-AF-Waived-Link/t...

If your approved, then apply for amex everyday preferred. 15k + amazon prime one year, $1000 spend.

Amex is always 2 for 1. 2 cards for one inquiry.
Message 5 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex is a good way to backdate .. i would go with the EDP

Message 6 of 14
newhis
Valued Contributor

Look at the Amex site, there are cards with no AF, with AF with more rewards, for travel, for everyday use, ...

Backdating, you lock 2015 year, if you open another Amex card say in 5 years, it will report as open in 2015 and not 2020, giving you a new card but report as 5 years old.

SP CLIs, you can get a 9X limit in only 8 months, at 61 days 3X and 180 days later another 3X, so even if they give you $1000 SL you can get it up to $9000 in a few months.

Extra bonus, like $15 back when you buy $15 at Amazon and other extra bonus that change constantly.

Most of the time, if you apply for a new Amex, if you are denied is only a SP and HP if you get approved (only for current clients).

Message 7 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

It seems like you want an Amex for simple purchases. If that's the case, just decide whether you want straight cashback or Membership Rewards. For the latter, the EveryDay cards should do the trick and for the former, the Blue Cash cards should suffice. Best of luck dude.

Message 8 of 14
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@Taylor814ce wrote:

So which Am Ex? 

If you don't know why then why do you want an AmEx?  Don't put the cart before the horse.  Outline your specific needs/wants and then find cards that suit those needs wants.  What are you specifically looking for from another card?  Are you trying to mazimize rewards?  If so, what are you major spend categories and how much are you pushing through them?  What's lacking with your existing lineup of cards?

Don't just pick a creditor or card and then try to justify it.

As stated above, AmEx tends to be popular for its 3x CLI and backdating.  If you haven't read the 3x CLI guide then take a look at it.

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Card-Applications/The-Definitive-Amex-3X-CLI-Guide/td-p/18110...

Message 9 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have the Amex ED card and love it! 

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.