Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which Amex card should I apply for?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Which Amex card should I apply for?

Greetings, I'm rebuliding my credit I was recently approved for an secured mastercard from Citi Bank($200 limit) and a Nordstrom Card for($500)!

My scores are Equifax 538, Transunion 597 , Experian 602.

With an income of $42000 which card should I apply for?
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Which Amex card should I apply for?

You shouldn't be looking at Amex with those scores. Let the new accounts grow a bit on your credit first so those scores come up. What else is on your credit report keeping those scores so low? Charge offs? Judgements? Lates? Etc.
Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

+1

Message 3 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

There is more to things than just your score, but having said that yours does look too low for Amex.

To give you a target number, 650 EX is about the lowest you will see approvals for here, although I have seen a few approvals with slightly lower scores. 660 and up will give you a much better chance of getting an Amex approval

Message 4 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

There is more to things than just your score, but having said that yours does look too low for Amex.

To give you a target number, 650 EX is about the lowest you will see approvals for here, although I have seen a few approvals with slightly lower scores. 660 and up will give you a much better chance of getting an Amex approval

+1...I would even say 670....

Message 5 of 13
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

I have been seeing lower still, 630+ but definitly try to optimize your postion by getting it as high as you canSmiley Happy

Your income is good so thatll help down the road. Definitely let us know whats holding back your scores you just might get more pointed advice.
Message 6 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex has lowered their minimum scores without a doubt over the last year, probably in response to losing Costco but they are offering very low limits to those under 660 or so.  Your scores are simply too low to get qualified with AMEX.  I wouldn't apply for anything with anyone right now, my biggest regret during my rebuild was applying for cards that were a stretch and wasting HP's which held me back a bit.  I would wait till you have Experian scores in the mid to upper 600's for AMEX.  I would work on a rebuild and address the factors that are holding your scores down so when you do apply you get some nice limits and don't get denials.  

Income won't outweigh weak scores, I know this from personal experience 200k of income low debt but crappy scores when I began my rebuild and struggled early on to get a 1k limit.  Using the advice of the good folks here in the rebuilding section and within 6 months or so things totally turned around.

Message 7 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would definitely wait and age your current cards. Plus with the low scores my guess is you would be denied. 

If you do decide to app let us know what happens!

Message 8 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Try to get cap one qs1 and eventually upgrade it to a regular qs.
Message 9 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

One word.

Don't.

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.