Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which NFCU Card To Apply For?

tag
Dalmus
Valued Contributor

Which NFCU Card To Apply For?

So I joined NFCU finally.  I got the welcome email today, and will call later to fund my accounts.

Like most of you, I'd like to apply for a card from them, but I'm not sure which one to go for.  Most of the people here talking about their approvals don't mention which card...  I'd like to apply for the card that actually matches my credit score to minimize chances of a denial or a low limit.  I'm also interested in what the general income levels are of these people that have scores in the lower half of the 600's.

My preference would be the Flagship Rewards with the 0% intro rate, I would use a larger SL for balance transfers and would happily close the cards that I'm transferring balances from (TD Bank and Legacy Visa).  BUT, as the most attractive card in the lineup, I'm sure its also got the srictest approval requirements.

My generic stats are as follows:

Scores:  EQ - 690, TU - 693, EX - 679

Inq:  TU - 13, EQ - 12, EX - 11

Util:  23% overall over 5 cards.

Income:  Me, $50Kish.  Combined me and spouse, $110Kish (we have access to each others funds, but prefer to leave credit separate for now as I'm rebuilding and she's pristine).

I paid off three cards to $0 this month, so I won't apply until they report.  I anticipate that I'll hit the 700's on at least one score after they do...   But which of the NFCU cards am I the best match for?

Thanks!

NFCU MR: $25K | Venture: $21K | Amex ED: $18K | NFCU CR: $18K | Amex BCE: $15K | IT #1: $17.5K | PNC Core: $15K | PPMC:  $12K | Wells Fargo: $11K | Savor: 12K | Cap1 QS: $8.5K | Barclays Rewards: $7.75K | IT #2: $7.3K | MLife: $9.5K | Sportsman's Guide: $8.7K | PenFed PR: $5.5K | Elan Plat: $2.3K | TRV: $3.6K | BotW: $3K

Current FICO 8 Scores: EQ: 828| TU: 805 | EX: 814

40 REPLIES 40
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Which NFCU Card To Apply For?

Hi Dalmus, I would try for the Flagship singularly first. The only "stricter" requirement is that has to have a minumum $5,000 credit limit, they are generous with their credit lines and you have some other cards that are near that. If they don't approve you I would go for the joint account, or you individually go for cash rewards, and your wife for the Flagship. Just be aware the Flagship offer expires 11:59 PM EST Tonight!!! Good luck, let us know how it goes. 

Message 2 of 41
Dalmus
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi Dalmus, I would try for the Flagship singularly first. The only "stricter" requirement is that has to have a minumum $5,000 credit limit, they are generous with their credit lines and you have some other cards that are near that. If they don't approve you I would go for the joint account, or you individually go for cash rewards, and your wife for the Flagship. Just be aware the Flagship offer expires 11:59 PM EST Tonight!!! Good luck, let us know how it goes. 

Oh my...  I didn't catch that on the website when I was looking it over.

I'll give them a call after work this evening and fun my account, then I'll see if I can feel them out about approval odds (if they'll give me a general guideline).  I'd just hate to waste a HP.  If they deny, maybe in recon my offer to close the transferring cards might sway them, eh?

Thanks for the response!

NFCU MR: $25K | Venture: $21K | Amex ED: $18K | NFCU CR: $18K | Amex BCE: $15K | IT #1: $17.5K | PNC Core: $15K | PPMC:  $12K | Wells Fargo: $11K | Savor: 12K | Cap1 QS: $8.5K | Barclays Rewards: $7.75K | IT #2: $7.3K | MLife: $9.5K | Sportsman's Guide: $8.7K | PenFed PR: $5.5K | Elan Plat: $2.3K | TRV: $3.6K | BotW: $3K

Message 3 of 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

Not to be a downer but from my experience working there they are strictly told to say nothing, or give any opinion on approval. You can ask them to check your UAD (internal account system) offers to see if there is a targeted offer available to you. Occasionally they offer un advertised card offers this way. Typically for the Go Rewards card. 

Message 4 of 41
Dalmus
Valued Contributor

I suppose that makes sense...  LImits the amount of angry people claiming "The CSR told me I'd be approved!"

Either way, I'll fund my account tonight.  Maybe I'll just do the online app after I get my login information.

Thanks!

Message 5 of 41
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Hi Dalmus, just wanted to say good luck and your stats are NOT generic lol!. They look good to me and i could only wish to make 50kSmiley Wink . Best of luck if you decide to spply tonightSmiley Happy
Message 6 of 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've had the nRewards card forever, it was my first card when I was rebuilding from my divorce in the early 2000s and they gave it to me secured.  After time it became unsecured and recieved a bunch of CLIs.

Now its up to 20k limit and I just got an APR reduction down to 10.24%.  I keep it due to the higher limit and the age of the account, I don't use it much.  The rewards are pretty useless, although every few years I remember I have them and order some gift cards.

I've thought about adding another card from them, but I don't really need it.

Message 7 of 41
UncleB
Credit Mentor

I personally don't think you'll have any problems, and I look forward to seeing your approval thread.  Smiley Very Happy

To add a data point, I was approved last November for the Platinum MasterCard (I wanted the lowest APR).  I still had a couple of 'baddies' reporting, and my score was around 710-ish.  With an income similar to yours I was approved for $15.3k at 10.99%.  Smiley Wink

Message 8 of 41
BIGSTARXXX1
Valued Member

I had similar scores - much less inquiries, and make 165K - denied on nRewards

only baddie is I just have a discharged Ch 13 on my credit report (Ch 13 filed 6/2010. discharged 9/2015)

7 positive tradelines

Util = 1%

you may have better luck

Message 9 of 41
happypill
Valued Contributor

The Flagship card has a $49 AF.  Do you spend enough to justify the AF?  If not, get one of the other cards.

Message 10 of 41
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.