Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which card next?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Which card next?

Hey everyone, I've been reading this forum for about a week now and have learned an incredible amount of info!  I am in the process of rebuilding and its going great!  So I have had a Fingerhut card for a couple of years now but I never use it and August of 2016 I was approved for a Capitol One Platinum with a 300 limit.  5 months later I recieved a 200 CLI and last week I was able to upgrade to a QS card.  Yesterday I recieved another 500 CLI.  Currently my score is 560 and is going up.  I have 2 medical collections left and I will have nothing negative left on my reports.  My AAoA is 6 years.  So my question is which card should I be looking at next?  Or should I garden for a while?  Should I be using the fingerhut card?  Its limit is 250.  After reading and recieving my QS I am currently using it for most of my purchases and paying it in full around the 300 mark to stay under 30% UTI.  Any advise is welcome! 

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Which card next?

Welcome to the forum and congrats on your progress! I would just leave the fingerhut card unused for now because of the onerous terms and apr. I would look at possibly getting a credit one card and just using it a minimal amount each month and PIF. otherwise, depending on your financial situation, you sound like a perfect candidate for a secured card. Discover, Citi, BoA and SDFCU are the top 4 in my book. This will have the added benefit of getting your foot in the door (or back in the door) with a more prime lender. After adding 1 more card I would garden for about 6 months and you will most likely be able to get some decent cards
Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Credit One has been sending me offers in the mail for the last year but after hearing about some peoples experiences with them I never went that route.  What would be better, applying for the Credit One or going the secured route?  Im new at the CC game and trying to learn as I go.

Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Skip credit one. Get yourself a Discover or BOA secured and let the accounts grow. Garden and work on those baddies. Also look into this to help your scoring...

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Understanding-FICO-Scoring/Adding-an-installment-loan-the-Share-Secu...

Message 4 of 11
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

You got the real Cap One, so no need for Credit 2Smiley Wink. secured cards like suggested are great ways to put your foot in the doors. If you have any eligbilty with NavyFed, thats a place to be. GOOD JOB on building do fsr and welcome to the forumSmiley Happy
Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

WOW!!!  I went to Discovers website and was offered a Discover IT Chrome.  I applied and was approved for $2200!  Looks like I have my 3 cards to garden!

Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

WOW!!!  I went to Discovers website and was offered a Discover IT Chrome.  I applied and was approved for $2200!  Looks like I have my 3 cards to garden!

Congrats on your Discover card!   I'm glad I didnt have time to caution you to be skeptical of their "prequalification" page.  Smiley Wink

Message 7 of 11
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Discover loves rebuilders and thin filesSmiley Wink, well maybe rebuilders in the begining lol
Message 8 of 11
GetMeSlick
Established Contributor

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:
Discover loves rebuilders and thin filesSmiley Wink, well maybe rebuilders in the begining lol

Very true. They are the first premium bank card offered to me after my CU card. Discover just loves you when you use them regularly. Keeps giving you numerous SP CLI's.

4/2024 FICO TU-840|EX - 838|EQ -840
Total Credit - $535K+
Starting Score: 640
Current Score: 840
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Gardening since Mar/2024
Message 9 of 11
GetMeSlick
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Congrats. Awesome limit to start with.

4/2024 FICO TU-840|EX - 838|EQ -840
Total Credit - $535K+
Starting Score: 640
Current Score: 840
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Gardening since Mar/2024
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.