Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which is easier to get, Freedom or BCP?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Which is easier to get, Freedom or BCP?

I will be going for either the Chase Freedom or Amex BCP for my third card. Only got my first CC about six months ago and currently have two cards with $500 starting limits that I will be requesting CLIs on next month.

FAKOs are in the high 600s. I PIF each month and have very low utilization, for instance my last Cap1 statement cut at 5%. I have no baddies or lates. I got my second card three months ago and I have 3 hard pulls against both EQ and TU. Not sure about EX but it's at least 1 since Cap1 triple pulls.

I'd like to get a third card as soon as possible, but I know patience is key and I don't want to app prematurely and get shot down. With my clean but thin file, what do I have a better shot at getting and how much longer should I wait? Both cards are appealing to me and I will be trying to have both eventually anyway, but which one is easier to get first?
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Which is easier to get, Freedom or BCP?

Have you ran through the prequals yet? BCP might be easier, but if you want a Chase card, you might want to app before you are over 5/24. 

Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I checked pre-quals for both within the past few days and got nothing, but then again I didn't have any Capital One pre-quals at the same time and then I did the chat with them the next day and they told me I was good to PC from Platinum to QS. So I don't know that I trust pre-quals.

Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would do some research on cards that grow fast.  It would suck to get yet another $500 SL with a bank that doesn't give CLIs often.  It took me two years of having cards to begin getting the $5,000 SL.  The only card I have that is not at $5k is a Chase Freedom at $2,200....same as it was when I got it in February 2015.

Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

That's one of the reasons why a Blue Cash is appealing to me, is the possibility of 3X CLI. Very good point though and I didn't know the Freedom was a slow grower.

Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

That's one of the reasons why a Blue Cash is appealing to me, is the possibility of 3X CLI. Very good point though and I didn't know the Freedom was a slow grower.

Is the Freedom a slow grower?  I hope not cuz I love that card.

Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Those AMEX cards grow fast definitely.

If you work with that card over the next year, when you apply for a Chase card, they're more than likely to match the higher card limit. Just don't get to a point where you will be over 5/24 if you go with AMEX first and then apply for Chase down the line.

Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Do a search for credit pulls database in a search engine and when you go to the site put in the two cards that you're interested in.  This way you'll be able to see the scores that people are getting approved with, denied with, and other information such as their starting limits etc.

Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Is the Freedom a slow grower?  I hope not cuz I love that card.

Chase requires hard pulls for all CLI requests. They do offer SP CLIs and auto-CLIs, but pretty rarely. It's a relatively slow grower, but they give higher maximum starting limits than a lot of other banks too.

Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'll second Chase slow and rare SP CLI's. I was never able to make my Chase Amazon card grow and I used it heavily and PIF all the time!
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.