Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why are you applying?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Why are you applying?

So I just wanted to get some feedback from you guys. Its a simple question and please try to be honest with yourself, Why are you applying for credit cards?

.... for sign up bonuses

.... for credit util

.... for big purchases

.... for status

.... for general usage

.... increase your credit score

like i just want to know how are views for needing a credit card are different. I guess in the end i want to see if most of us are applying for credit cards base on a genuine need or if it is just a strong want.

Personally i sign up for the bonuses but also subconsciously for the status hahahaha Smiley Very HappySmiley LOLSmiley LOLSmiley LOL

Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Why are you applying?

Primarily general usage, with the secondary objectives of improving my credit via the proverbial responsible use and also to have funds available for major items such as auto maintenance, new/replacement electronics, etc.

Message 2 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

.... for sign up bonuses

.... for credit util

.... for status

.... for general usage

.... increase your credit score

Just keepin' it real!!....Smiley Wink...but I am being responsible....18% utilization overall...highest individual card uti is 32%....

Message 3 of 19
JGGM
Frequent Contributor

This made me laugh....because I will be completely honest.....the only reason I have my two AmEx cards is perceived "status". I had Amex many years ago, then my credit went south. When I first attempted to rebuild I got a First Premier card....and used to charge dinners on it. Finally got back in with Amex...and while this may seem shallow, it feels so much better paying for dinner with an AmEx versus First Premier Bank. Side story: First Premier served its purpose for me, and while I was grateful for the opportunity, I was even more happy to close the account and kick them to the curb. 

Current Score 7-1-21: TU: 812 EX: 805 EQ: 839
Goal Score:ACHIEVED - 800 Across the Board
In My Wallet: Cap1 QS - PenFed Power Cash Rewards - PenFed Promise - AmEx Delta Platinum - DISCO - NFCU Cash Rewards - Chase Sapphire Preferred

Message 4 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@JGGM wrote:

This made me laugh....because I will be completely honest.....the only reason I have my two AmEx cards is perceived "status". I had Amex many years ago, then my credit went south. When I first attempted to rebuild I got a First Premier card....and used to charge dinners on it. Finally got back in with Amex...and while this may seem shallow, it feels so much better paying for dinner with an AmEx versus First Premier Bank. Side story: First Premier served its purpose for me, and while I was grateful for the opportunity, I was even more happy to close the account and kick them to the curb. 

Thanks for the support...lol...Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 19
MrsCHX
Valued Contributor

I think people who feel that they don't "need" credit are setting themselves up a bit because you need credit to build credit and you need credit for the big things like a home, car, and sometimes student loans (obviously I mean private loans...). 

Like many, it's a mix for me. I don't have the income/spend to be a bonus chaser. For things that CAN be put on a card monthly; I probably spend around $1000-1200. For me that's food, personal care items, pet expenses, eating out and other entertainment, cable and cell phone. All of my other bills carry fees for paying with CCs that wipe out any benefits of cash back. 

So it's rebuilding primarily; using cards for normal spend to both get a little cash back and show good payment history. And also to float purchases as needed.

NFCU: $25,000; PenFed Power Cash Rewards: $3,500; PenFed Gold: $2,500; Capital One: $2,300; Nordstrom Visa: $2,000; Credit One: $1,250
Amazon: 800; Kohls: $1,500
Message 6 of 19
Blackswizz750
Established Contributor

I apply for general use as I dont make enough to chase bonuses. Its nice to have them for UTIL and to be there for big purchases. Not worried about status because even folks who dont make a lot can get most cards if they have the profile. I am a rebuilder so I apped a lot my first year. If I get a few bonuses or rewards, I save them. 

Message 7 of 19
luxeprw9
Frequent Contributor

Initially I apped because I am rebuilding after a CH13 BK.  Now that I have a couple of prime cards, I honestly don't need any more credit cards.  And I won't be apping for any in the next year or two.  I don't spend alot so no real benefits for me.  I will pursue CLI once my BK falls off my reports but that's about it for me.  I'm good!

FICO Score 8 as of 07/23/18
EQ - 770
EX - 757
TU - 741
Goal: 800
Message 8 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Technically, I'm not applying for anything for several months ... 

However, for the apps I've submitted ... in order of importance

1. Increase credit score

2. Credit utilization

3. General usage

4. Big purchases

5. Sign up bonuses/travel miles ... 

We don't have the huge spend/income to chase rewards either, but with responsible/appropriate use, we should be able to bank miles on the Amex Gold Delta for use with future travel. 

And I'll edit to add, that yes, status to me is somewhat important. I've gone from credit poor to improving steadily and it feels **bleep** good to have an AMEX (or two) in my wallet now. 

Message 9 of 19
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Now that I'm 60+, I enjoy the way I feel being able to have the credit available for the things I want. When I got my NFCU Siggy for $15K after only having one CC with a $4K CL, I felt mighty good and oh so proud that I had reached this stage. That's what made me apply for the other cards -- the approval of such a CL and the sign-up bonus was a major plus.

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.