Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is BOA so stingy?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Why is BOA so stingy?

I have credit lines ranging for 2.2k to 12.4k through other banks with a total of 45.8k credit. I don't understand why they refuse to increase the credit line of 700 or approve me for new cards even though they are my first card and I have had it for just under 2 years. I know they are less willing to extend credit to students, but didn't expect them to be so stingy.

Message 1 of 28
27 REPLIES 27
jsucool76
Super Contributor

Re: Why is BOA so stingy?

@Anonymous wrote:

I have credit lines ranging for 2.2k to 12.4k through other banks with a total of 45.8k credit. I don't understand why they refuse to increase the credit line of 700 or approve me for new cards even though they are my first card and I have had it for just under 2 years. I know they are less willing to extend credit to students, but didn't expect them to be so stingy.

What is your income like? My student card started at $700, and I've asked for a CLI once and it went up to 2.6k. 

Message 2 of 28
uswala
Senior Contributor

They have been good to me as well. I started with $1100 and on first CLI I asked $5000 and got it. Was converted to Visa Signature as well.

Message 3 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

@jsucool76 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

What is your income like? My student card started at $700, and I've asked for a CLI once and it went up to 2.6k. 

Message 4 of 28
Jlu
Established Contributor

Wierd.

BoA loves me Smiley Very Happy

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Card-Approvals/UPDATED-PAGE-4-A-LOVE-STORY-starring-Bank-of-A...

AMEX BCP $35k | Citi Double Cash $30k | PenFed PlatRewards $25k | Barclaycard $40k | Chase Freedom $25k | BofA Cash Rewards $40K | US Bank Cash+ $4500 | Discover IT $25k | NASA Platinum-Advantage $40k | CapOne Quicksilver $15k | Amazon Card $10k | Ten years on myFICO from 510 to 780 scores
Message 5 of 28
HiLine
Blogger

A more appropriate question would be:

Why does BofA not want to give you more credit?

Which prompts me to ask you a related question:

How much do you use your BofA card if at all?

BofA has been extremely generous to me and many others. Back when my highest limit was 2k, they gave me a CLI to 12k on one card.

Message 6 of 28
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

BoA has also been great to me. Does OP have any negatives or high balances on credit report? Have you actually applied for a CLI or new card from BoA?
Message 7 of 28
revvystoke
Frequent Contributor

No complaints with BOA here, they are very lenient and generous with credit.

AkAir $50k | Marriott $65k | Local CU $8k
TU: 770 / EQ: 748 / EX: 769
Message 8 of 28
Membersince2013
Valued Contributor

That's funny. They've given me close to 20k of credit.
Arrival+ | Barclaycard Rewards Mastercard | Citi Double Cash | CapOne QS (2) | Citi Diamond P | Freedom | Fidelity Amex | Amex Plat | Old Blue Cash | PRG | SPG | BCP | HHonors Surpass | Cap1 Venture | Discover | CSP | Cap1 Venture1 | BOA CR&TR (2) | Ritz Carlton | Southwest Rapid Rewards | Hyatt (2) | US Airways Mastercard (2) | Wells Fargo Rewards Visa | Marriott Premier (2) |

Fico Scores as of 2/21/15 - EX: total crap, TU: total crap, EQ: total crap
Message 9 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

@HiLine wrote:

A more appropriate question would be:

Why does BofA not want to give you more credit?

Which prompts me to ask you a related question:

How much do you use your BofA card if at all?

BofA has been extremely generous to me and many others. Back when my highest limit was 2k, they gave me a CLI to 12k on one card.

I used it as my only credit card prior to getting my other credit cards ~3 months ago. Since the CL is so low I can't make significant purchases w/o going over 10% utilization but currently I charge $40/month on my BBR card. I have no negatives and PIF for everything. I have applied and gotten 6 other cards in the past 3 months from many conservative lenders such as US Bank (Cash+) and Cap1 (QS) but even when I ask for a CLI before I applied for these new cards they rejected me. I'm guessing it may be my low AAoA but it doesn't seem to affect any others. It is my oldest non-AU account at just under 2 years and my credit scores around ~750.

Message 10 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.