Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is Barclays so pretentious

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Why is Barclays so pretentious

My Uber Visa card is my lowest limit card by far. I was approved for $1,000 when I applied even with a $24k limit with Amex. I requested higher and got a *magical* $2k. Beautiful, right? Today, I noticed for the first time that the "request credit line increase" button on the website wasn't greyed out like it had been since that *very* generous increase. I requested $5k (which is less than what I've started with on some other cards) and got the 7-10 day message. I called the recon number and was asked my permission to do a HP,  since I was only denied based on account information (account information that reflects 13% uti and perfect payment history, mind you). Because I'm carrying a balance and *gasp* have other inquiries on my report, they believe that $2,000 is a sufficient credit line for me. I didn't even try to argue. Now I'm just bitter because Barclays is so backwards and they for some reason take pride in being stingy and putting wasted HPs on people's reports with no new credit to show for them. I wish I had never even gotten this card. For such a 2018, ahead-of-the-curve company like Uber, why in the world did they choose Barclays, a bank stuck in the 20th century, to cobrand their card with?

Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
jl4
Established Contributor

Re: Why is Barclays so pretentious

I would imagine it had something to do with Uber's current public perception and other financial institutions not wanting to be associated with it... or Barclays was willing to give them the biggest cut of the pie... or both.

EQ8: 779 (Inq: 1) | TU8: 771 (Inq: 0) | EX8: 763 (Inq: 4)
Total Rev: $182,500
Message 2 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymouswrote:

My Uber Visa card is my lowest limit card by far. I was approved for $1,000 when I applied even with a $24k limit with Amex. I requested higher and got a *magical* $2k. Beautiful, right? Today, I noticed for the first time that the "request credit line increase" button on the website wasn't greyed out like it had been since that *very* generous increase. I requested $5k (which is less than what I've started with on some other cards) and got the 7-10 day message. I called the recon number and was asked my permission to do a HP,  since I was only denied based on account information (account information that reflects 13% uti and perfect payment history, mind you). Because I'm carrying a balance and *gasp* have other inquiries on my report, they believe that $2,000 is a sufficient credit line for me. I didn't even try to argue. Now I'm just bitter because Barclays is so backwards and they for some reason take pride in being stingy and putting wasted HPs on people's reports with no new credit to show for them. I wish I had never even gotten this card. For such a 2018, ahead-of-the-curve company like Uber, why in the world did they choose Barclays, a bank stuck in the 20th century, to cobrand their card with?

Maybe put more spend on that card? Barclay has been wonderful to me no idea. Smiley Very Happy

Message 3 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

How long have you had the Uber card?
Message 4 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Barclay is pretentious because it can be. International CCC with a long history.

Message 5 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've heard more bad than good about Barclays, thus I've never appd with them. Though I have considered their Wyndham Rewards card.

Once I get below teh 5/24 I'll likely opt for a Chase card, I've heard good things about them.

Message 6 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

LOL.  As you learn more you will understand.  LOL.

Message 7 of 19
Kevin5974
Frequent Contributor

I share your frustration. I got it once years ago when my scores were above 700 and util under 10%. They took me from 2k like you, to 5k However, after couple years of NOT requesting credit with them and having essentially the same stats, I gambled and got an additional 10k the other night for a CL of 15k. You have to be careful when submitting to them. They know the games we play with our CLs and dont want to be caught holding the bag when it all comes back down to Earth Smiley Wink

Starting Score: 475
Current Score: 649
Goal Score: 690

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 8 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have 2 Barclay cards, Apple Rewards and Frontier Airlines, and have had no issue with them.  My gut tells me that a predominantly-British bank just doesn't quite know how to deal with American-style CC usage and it spooks them.

The beauty is, there are plenty of other CC issuers if people don't care to deal with Barclay's.

Message 9 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

And Barclay is very good at fraud alerts. Called me and texted me has it was happening. 

Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.