cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will I qualify for a Chase Freedom card?----Your opinion and Advise please!

tag
BeeH11
Regular Contributor

Re: Will I qualify for a Chase Freedom card?----Your opinion and Advise please!

Prequalifiers are a good indication but not a definitive answer. For my SW card and my CSP I was not prequailified for either and got both. Got 7-10 day message on both too.
Chase Sapphire Reserve. Chase Freedom Unlimited. Amex Gold. Amex Everyday. Discover It. Capital One QuickSilver. Bloomingdales. Victoria Secret.
Message 21 of 39
Poquelin
Contributor

That's encouraging! Did you call them right away after you got the 7-10 day letter message? Or did you wait for the letter to arrive?

Starting Score: 638

Current score:
Equifax 680
Trans Union 718
Experian 714

Target Score: 725 Across the Board
Message 22 of 39
BeeH11
Regular Contributor

I didn't call for the SW card b/c I was too chicken. I just eventually saw the new card and lint one day when I signed in to pay my United bill. Then a few days later they actually e-mailed me the approval notice.
With the CSP, I called immediately. The call took about 20 minutes (I was on hold on and off with the analyst). The talking part of the call was only 2-3 minutes.
Chase Sapphire Reserve. Chase Freedom Unlimited. Amex Gold. Amex Everyday. Discover It. Capital One QuickSilver. Bloomingdales. Victoria Secret.
Message 23 of 39
Poquelin
Contributor

You got the "chicken" part right. I'm going to call them but feel rather uncomfortable because I don't feel I know how to start that conversation. 

How did you start the conversation with the analyst? What did you tell him/her?

i had no problem call Cap 1 because  because I've been using their cards for 3 years and felt I had a compelling argument as to why they should grant me the CLI I was asking for, which they did. 

I'm not really sure how to start the conversation with Chase since I've never dealt with them and technically they havien't declined me yet, they simply "reviewing" my application.

Current score:
Equifax 680
Trans Union 718
Experian 714

Message 24 of 39
baller4life
Super Contributor

Just tell them you want to check the status of your app and to see if they need any additional info from you to complete the process. Easy peasy. Smiley Happy
Message 25 of 39
BeeH11
Regular Contributor

This is pretty much what I said, "hi! I just applied for the CSP card and got the 7-10 days message. I wanted to check the status. If the card was denied, I wanted to see if we could transfer over some credit from my other 2 chase cards to get the approval." I was very direct (I'm a direct person). The part about transferring over credit won't apply to you though. She took my SSN and then put me on hold for 5 minutes, came back and said hold on a little longer, came back and asked for my address, on hold, came back and asked how I wanted my name in the card, came back like 8 minutes later and said my card was on the way. I asked about the CL and if they needed to transfer any credit from my other 2 cards (no, they didn't).
I was a little nervous but really it's not necessary b/c the worst they say is no. Good luck!
Message 26 of 39
Poquelin
Contributor

They didn't approve me. Here's how it went:

So I called Chase. The entire call took 3 minutes and I said I got the 7-10day letter and calling to check the status of my applications and see if I could answer any questions they may have.

She said they had already reached a decision and based on my bankruptcy they were not able to approve me.

I asked if an applicant had a bankruptcy he would automatically be disqualified then? 

She said that normally they are looking for someone who has re-established himself after a bankruptcy before they'll grant them a card.

I told her to elaborate a bit on the re-establishing thing because since my bankruptcy 3 yrs ago I have a mortgage, 2 car loans one of which is fully paid for and several revolving accounts none of which have ever been late?

She said that even so, my mortgage was not a year old yet so they were looking for somebody for a little more history. 

So I thanked her for the information and ended the call. She was very nice and polite but wouldn't budge.

so What now? Do I call again and get somebody else? If so, How long do I wait before calling again?

I saw saw in another forum where someone wrote a recon letter to somebody at Chas and got his card after that. Should I try that? If so, anybody knows where to write to? And to whom?

the more I think about it now, the more I feel I have a compelling argument to get approved. So being that I already took the hit with this inquiry I'd like to get most mileage out of it.  Like somebody told me yesterday, " it can't hurt"

Current score:
Equifax 680
Trans Union 718
Experian 714

Message 27 of 39
Anonymous
Not applicable

Absolutely call again as stated they don't always say the same thing, you've already taken the hard hit regardless just have your ducks in a row.
Message 28 of 39
Anonymous
Not applicable

I might try the Freedom in the summer when some of my limits have raised.
Message 29 of 39
Anonymous
Not applicable

I recently applied for visa credit card through my CU. cc is from First National Bank of Omaha. My application has been pending since Fri. Called a number I found earlier today but was told the app was still under review. Anyone have the number to their credit analyst??
Message 30 of 39
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.