cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wondering about if bank will check my checking account for their card.

tag
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

Re: Wondering about if bank will check my checking account for their card.

@Anonymous wrote:

Yea I dont hear great things about Chase. I have used them as a bank a little bit and they have always been great. When it comes to credit card apps, recon lines, etc they dont seem too interested in helping. At least thats the experience I have had so far.

It's the same with almost all the major banks. Ive been told by Citi's executive office that relationships don't matter to them, that we're all just numbers, and our credit is what will determine what happens to our accounts. And those were the words used. Chase uses their own proprietary credit scoring model along with FICO and VantageScore to make their decisions. Even if you're fine when it comes to FICO and VS, if you fail theirs, you'll still be declined. However, the Freedom Unlimited and Slate are geared for average credit, and will extend down to fair. You can be approved with a mid-600 FICO and a thin profile.

Message 11 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

From my personal experience I do think its matter. I recently open a US Bank checking account and deposit my 7k tax refund in there and was told if I opened a CL with them, the checking would be free. I went ahead tested my luck with the Cash+ a month after my account opened, and was instantly approved for 7.5k SL. Then I've read somewhere here that USB counted only one HP if applied for another CC in same day. I went ahead and applied for the Flexperks Travel and also instantly approved for 8.5k. Those are the two highest SL I've ever got.

My Fico is Exp:654 Eqfax: 649 Trans:640

I was really surprised cuz my highest CL is with Discover: 2.8k. I also got QS1: $850 Bestbuy Citi: 2.5k and Chase FU: $500. My uti is: 16% and do have two chargeoffs dated back in 2013.

So yea I do think banking relationship does effect it somehow
Message 12 of 17
Gmood1
Super Contributor

IME , it makes no difference at all. In the past, I've had a little more than $20k in two different accounts with two different CUs. I was denied by both. lol
Some banks like Wells Fargo and USbank do seem to look and see if you at least have an account with them. The amount in it probably doesn't matter.
Message 13 of 17
stonedog23
Frequent Contributor

A bank like Wells Fargo will look at relationships.  I'm pretty sure my mortgage there played a part in me getting one of their cards while I was building.   But others like Pen Fed don't consider it.  My cousin put $5 in a savings account at Pen Fed just to join.  He applied for a card and got $12K just because his profile supported it.

NFCU GoRewards Sig ($40,000), NFCU Cash Rewards ($33,000), PenFed Power Cash ($25,000), FNBO Evergreen Visa ($20,000), Bread Financial Rewards Amex ($19,150), PNC Cash Rewards ($18,400), PNC Cashbuilder ($18,700) , Citi Double Cash ($9600), Discover It Cash ($9000), Walmart MC ($8000), Bank of America Unlimited Cash Rewards ($7500), Fifth Third Unlimited Cash Back Mastercard ($7500), Wells Fargo Active Cash Sig($7000), Apple Card ($6000), Amex BCE($6000), Amex ED($6600), X1 Card ($5000), PNC Points ($8000), Amex Cash Magnet($2000), Fifth Third Truly Simple ($4000), Truist Spectrum Cash Rewards($4500), Truist Bright Card($4500), CapOne Quicksilver(Bucketed @$1500), US Bank Cash+ ($5,000), US Bank Cash+ ($1,000), WF mortgage 195K Fico 8: EQ 766, TU 763, EX 753, FICO 9:EQ 829, TU 812, EX 791, AAoA-97 months, AoOA-28 years
Message 14 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Bank of America seems to care. I have gotten approved by them when people with better scores have been denied. Seems like some banks care and some don't.
Message 15 of 17
UncleB
Credit Mentor

I can add a couple of data points here... my last denial with BoA stated lack of deposit/investment accounts with them as one of the reasons for the denial.

I also agree that Wells Fargo seems to take deposit accounts into consideration as well; my own Propel Amex approval was quite generous for someone with my income, and I'm quite certain that linked deposit accounts helped out.

Message 16 of 17
joltdude
Senior Contributor

@UncleB wrote:

I can add a couple of data points here... my last denial with BoA stated lack of deposit/investment accounts with them as one of the reasons for the denial.

I also agree that Wells Fargo seems to take deposit accounts into consideration as well; my own Propel Amex approval was quite generous for someone with my income, and I'm quite certain that linked deposit accounts helped out.

Think i may have mentioned a family member that got an extra 2k on opening of his BBR for having a savings account with 200$ in it... 

Actually he was considering throwing in that amount as a rainy day fund .. The CSR on the recon call sort of hinted to having a relationship with BOA.. and he said to the rep, Was considering opening a small savings for a rainy day..... Did not approve it on the phone.....

Went to a BOA branch the next day and opened a savings account with 200$... As he walked out of the branch he got a cell call from BOA.... We can approve you for the CLI you requested the other day.... for an additional 2K......   

Yes some banks do value relationships... though its not a universal thing, and its still about score first.... as a previous poster said, for some banks it can tip the scale in your favor, or out of it if your close already... 

Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.