cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wondering if you qualify for a DCU Unsecured credit card?

tag
designated_knitter
Established Contributor

Wondering if you qualify for a DCU Unsecured credit card?

So I joined DCU last year because of the positive reviews... been building my cash stash there by having 25 bucks transferred over ever couple of weeks when my paycheck hits.  

I'm in the rebuilding mode but I called to inquire about their credit card.  The customer service agent was very helpful in telling me what the qualifications would be and factors that could preclude you from being approved so that I could make the decision whether it was worth the hard pull:

1. Minimum fico score -- EQ 620  (he said they pull Equifax)
  2. No recent late payments
  3. No open collections or chargeoffs -- I did mention that I had collections dating back to 2012 that were not satisfied but he didn't seem to feel that would be a factor
  4. BK at least 2 years old
  5. Any tax liens must have been satisfied

This may be common knowledge but figured I would share just in case anyone was interested and/or it could help someone.  Frankly, I was surprised that the requirements were so "lenient"...  I was glad I talked to him because it did save me the hard pull -- GMFinancial and/or Equifax has been reporting me as 30 days late since December (which was a mistake by GM Financial) and even though I have made payments in 2015, there is absolutely no info reporting on my car loan for 2015... which is keeping my EQ low.

Cheers.

Started Over Again after Cap1 Death Penalty:
06/15/2019:
03/02/2021:
04/06/2021:
05/28/2021:
Lesson Learned: DON'T POKE THE BEAR!!! THE BEAR WILL WIN!!!
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Jamex
Frequent Contributor

Re: Wondering if you qualify for a DCU Unsecured credit card?

This is awesome info, thanks so much for sharing.

I've been a DCU member for almost a year now, and I've also found that they're unusually transparent about their underwriting requirements. For some additional info:

- Their cutoff for getting the best rate on auto loans and refis (usually less than 2%) is 675 on EQ (I know because when I got approved I was at 673 and ended up with a slightly higher rate :-/

- Any time you apply for one of their products and get a hard pull, you can apply for any other products within 30 days and they'll use the same hard pull. When I app'd for an auto loan I was able to also get a 5K CC, and when I applied for a personal loan I was able to use that to find out whether I was eligible for a CLI.

It's so refreshing to work with a lender that just tells you up front what their specs are. I know there are plenty of sound business reasons why most banks don't do this, but glad there's at least one out there that does.

Starting score 3/30/13: 570s across the board
As of 2/17/18: EX 802 | EQ 809 | TU 811

CSR 34K | Freedom 21K | Marriott 24K | Alaska 21K | Citi Dividend 5.9K | Barclay Rewards MC 15K | DCU Visa 10K | AX SPG 24K | AX PRG NPSL | AX Green NPSL | AX EDP 10K | Cap One Venture 20K | SFCU Visa 15K | Barclay Arrival+ 24K (AU) | BankAmericard 13.5K (AU)

Message 2 of 13
Erusidhion
Frequent Contributor

I would like to thank you for doing the research on this for us. At the end of the month I'm probably going to attempt to get their no reward VISA since I really need a low interest card. I am pretty sure with my scores/utilization that Barclay would not even look at giving me a Barclay Ring card. I've even tried to get my secured 10.9% credit union card unsecured and they declined; it's quite sad actually. So I've pretty much decided to eventually move everything I have to DCU by February. I think I'm done with dealing with banks in general in person. Although it's nice to actually talk to a live person face to face; I don't think it's needed these days.

Hopefully I can nail this card at the end of the month once my utilization dips below 30% and my EQ/TU/EX should be around 670-680 by then. We shall see. Hopefully I'll be able to post a success story. Thanks again for helping everyone out!

EQ 654 -- 43 Inquiries
TU 695 -- 54 Inquiries
EX 668 -- 50 Inquiries

Utilization: 9% AAoA: 20 months Total History: 3Y
Updated: 08/04/2017 Premier 3B
Message 3 of 13
designated_knitter
Established Contributor

Thanks so much for sharing this information as well about the multiple apps... I really is nice to see a financial institution give you solid insight into their processes and lending decisions.  Awhile back, I applied for my own State CU credit card and I didn't qualify -- but they were nice enough to PM me and tell me what I needed to do to put myself in a position to qualify in 9 months (basically had too much new credit and utilization).  It is so much more helpful and dignified than the form "adverse action" letters you get that lists every single ding you have on your credit report without providing any insight into when, what, how to be successful in the future.

Started Over Again after Cap1 Death Penalty:
06/15/2019:
03/02/2021:
04/06/2021:
05/28/2021:
Lesson Learned: DON'T POKE THE BEAR!!! THE BEAR WILL WIN!!!
Message 4 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

This is really great info to have in advance.  I just got a membership with them yesterday by opening a savings account and hoping to get a credit card or personal loan by the end of the summer.

Message 5 of 13
I-think-I-can
Valued Contributor

This is great information! Thank you! I have thought about starting a relationship with DCU.  I will need to wait until next year due to an open charge off.  You saved me from a denial Smiley Happy

Starting Scores 2/13/15: EQ 635 EX 674 TU 684 ////7/16/15 Scores: EQ 661 EX 669 TU 703 //// 2/15/16 Scores EQ 652 EX 647 TU 756 //// 3/24/16 Scores: EQ 661 EX 649 TU 773 //// EQ 670 EX 653 TU 768 (EQ And EX still tainted)
Goal Scores: 760 across the board
Message 6 of 13
masscredit
Valued Contributor

I found out about DCU while trying to refi an auto loan a few years ago. Woke up one morning and read about them here. Gave them a call and 15 minutes later I was approved. The loan rate went from 17.1% at Cap 1 (first car loan after my BK) down to 1.99%. Saved me a lot of money!  Now it's just a 5 minute phone call to be pre-approved when I want to buy another car.  I find them to be very good to deal with and am lucky to have a branch about 40 minutes from my house. I was denied a credit card because of my tax liens. I had 5 when I applied for their credit card (down to 3 now). I was told that they would approve it if I could show that my biggest lien had been satisfied.  I might revisit this after that lien is paid or most likely, ages off. 

Pre-Credit Rebuild Scores Pre-DC (3/24/22) - EQ - 524 / TU - 519 / EX - 495

Current Scores - EQ - 687 / TU - 663/ EX - 677

TD Bank - $5000 / Mercury - $5000 / Capital One Savor One- $5000 / SDFCU Secured - $4990 / Capital One QuickSiver - $4500 / Ally Master Card - $2800/ Walmart Mastercard - $2250

Andrews FCU SSL $1500
Message 7 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

here for the comments
Message 8 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was looking for an auto loan as soon as I reached US. Only DCU provided me with the loan. They also gave me a Platinum unsecured card with $3000 CL.

Many of my colleagues also got the DCU credit card with $3000-$5000 CL without having any credit.

Thanks,

APS

Message 9 of 13
Scupra
Super Contributor

Thank you very much for posting this info for the community 

Filed BK7: 7/2012 (start score EQ 560 / TU 529) Discharge 10/2012
801 EQ FICO 06/2022
797 TU FICO 04/2022
793 EX FICO 04/2022
$30k NFCU Platinum | $30.7k NFCU cashRewards Sig | $15k NavChek | $7.1k Cap1 Quicksilver | $10k Amazon Store | $19k Cap1 VentureOne | $16k Barclay Aviator | $5k Chase Freedom | $5k Chase Sapphire Preferred | $9k Costco Visa | $20k AMEX BCE | AMEX Gold | NFCU Platinum #2 $19.3k | Apple $8.5k
Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.