Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Your average monthly payment has been too low

tag
grillandwinemaster
Valued Contributor

Re: Your average monthly payment has been too low

Well said Joe!

Current Scores 3/2016 Equifax 676 Transunion 697 Experian 648 Goal Scores: 720's accross the board. Gardening Goal: 3/2017
Message 11 of 41
Aduke1122
Senior Contributor

Great advice Joe
Message 12 of 41
fltireguy
Valued Contributor

JustcallmeTM-
WHERE did you come up with the $2 swipe fee for Amex nonsense? It's nowhere near that! First, FYI if you are a merchant, and process they Amex's network, there is NO swipe fee, just the discount rate which can be VERY competitive. If you are using an outside network, the swipe fee might be 10-25 cents, same as MC/V/Discover
NFCU $60.4k/PenFed $22.5k/Commerce $15K/53 $11K/Synovus $14K/BBT $11K/CapOne $12K/DCU $7.5K/BMO $7.5K/Chase $14.5k/Cabelas $10K/ and many many more!
Total CL $398600, plus car and RV loan.
Ooh. Ooh. Getting closer to that $500K mark!
Message 13 of 41
fltireguy
Valued Contributor

Actually-your swipe fee numbers are off the walls- Chase is nowhere near 1.75. Do you understand what a swipe fee is, and what a discount rate is, and how there are hundreds of variations for a discount rate for aVisa card, for example? Rewards cards DO carry a higher discount rate to the merchant in most cases -very slightly higher, but it IS higher than a non rewards card
NFCU $60.4k/PenFed $22.5k/Commerce $15K/53 $11K/Synovus $14K/BBT $11K/CapOne $12K/DCU $7.5K/BMO $7.5K/Chase $14.5k/Cabelas $10K/ and many many more!
Message 14 of 41
fltireguy
Valued Contributor

IF, for example you make a $5k charge, it MIGHT look something like this:
Swipe fee 20 cents
1.65% x 5000.00 =$82.50
Total bank fees for that transaction $82.70

THAT is how they make money on a $5k transaction - it is NOT a $1.75 swipe fee, as you mentioned
Message 15 of 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

@fltireguy wrote:
IF, for example you make a $5k charge, it MIGHT look something like this:
Swipe fee 20 cents
1.65% x 5000.00 =$82.50
Total bank fees for that transaction $82.70

THAT is how they make money on a $5k transaction - it is NOT a $1.75 swipe fee, as you mentioned

I read it at 1.75%, even if he didn't add the % character...

Message 16 of 41
JustcallmeTM
Regular Contributor

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:
All im going to add is buying a pack of gum or a cup of joe usually is just to constitute usage to keep a card active , not intended as actual usage to get a cliSmiley Wink

Not to be mean or rude, but that thought right there shows how many people have useless cards they don't need, that one have to manufacture a reason to swipe the card. Keeping it active is another way of saying " I have a card I dont use at all ", but I need it to pad my total profile to make it look good for utilization purposes only.

OFF-Topic:

It's funny how many people say I hit the wall in my rebuild, I did also and still got over the hump with no struggle. See my issue was in the beggining was following most of these senior contributors at the time they were senior contributors. I got on the happy train to rebuild then started hitting CLD, AA, denials oh and my INQ are now all in the 20's when I had zero before I ever came onto this site all at the same time. When I decided to start digging into half the peoples past post and experiences I noticed most has gone through BK's (I never have) and there reason was alot of time's carelessness or following most on here without digging up there past information (this site can rebuild or help set you back on the same advice people give).

I see how some try to compare profiles to others and I made the mistake until I dug up all there old posts to find out they compare nothing like me but actually going down there path of mistakes. Turns out over half the people dont post or say how many cards they really have or there past BK's or how they really messed up, but I can say more than half have over extended themselves trying to game the system and then come on here to complain or ask for help, first thing people need to realize if you cant hold yourself accountable for any of your mistakes you can't really be one to depend on for any information and there are alot of those on here only because they are only here to get the best bonus or highest CL for what reason have no clue (especially for the income they state), but some people I understand are self-employed and own there own business so the way they go about there credit is different from one who has a regular 9-5.

Most of the current senior contributors I rememeber not to long ago was new on here and rebuilding, but more than half jumped on the happy train and playing follower and not leading anyone to be honest, more people here encourage others to apply than question the motive's. So what kind of forum is this ? Is this one for informative information or a forum on how to fix your credit while attempting to game a system (reddit and about 10 other forums like this) that is going to game most back in a vicious way. If I was going to post everyday on here the first thing I would tell most people rebuilding is avoid anything sync or commenity period no if and or butts that to me is not a rebuild but a sure fire way to get stuck in debt. Also whether people believe it or not big banks hates when one has more of those sync/commenity cards than legit big bank cards. Sync/Com accounts are only good to keep those with low credit score in debt just because most dont PIF and the APR are through the roof. So again how is telling poeple to apply for store cards helping there rebuild? Charge cards and Credit cards are considered different, credit cards show more responsibility than a store charge cards which is only good in 1 place. So having more store charge cards than credit cards is not a good profile look. I have enough experience with that being stuck in the 600's for over a year having more store cards than actual credit cards and not getting any pre approvals on major banks like Citi,BOA,USB, etc...but that was me playing follower on here instead of leading my own path.

Im not trying to rub anyone the wrong way, but I been reading these forums for years so I already know specific people who I can depend on for solid advice they give to others. Uncle B has to be one of the best ones in here, solid methodical approached helped me get past the wall and trim the fat and not jump on every garbage that the banks throw out there to make one flinch. I went from the high 590's and I currently sit at 720's-740's and just last year this same time I was sitting at 620-640's.

I'm not trying to pick on anyone specific, but when one has senior contributor I expect alot more discipline with the credit approach instead of encouraging people to apply for every garbage out there, it's not helping when people are hitting wall or getting AA or CLD and there are a few current contributors currently in the wall state I wonder why...

Yet 2 other senior contributors actually agree that its ok to swipe a card just to keep it active when that is actually a poor excuse to even have the card unless its for what I said in the first paragraph padding up your overall profile, that's not even good advice. That's a good reason why one would get AA, CLD or there card closed especially if your holding a bunch of SYNC/Commenity cards even Barclays and even Cap 1 so which banks is next to say thats not OK. Don't blame the banks for reading these forums and switching policies if one aint good at adapting on the fly then you'll get left behind and most are going to be playing catch up with all the rule changes taking effect.

By the way with the Cap 1 card I have at 14.5k, it was really just a 7k venture when I was approved in 7/16. I combined another Cap 1 card into it to make it 14.5k that (donor) card I combined was 7.5k but was also another donor card( 6k /1.5k) that I had combined to make it 7.5k. So my 14.5k limit was from combining literally 3 cards into 1, before that for over a year I was getting zero CLI from Cap 1 they wouldnt even touch it. In short if Cap 1 aint giving you CLI and you decided to take it upon yourself to combine cards CAP 1 will close your card with the actual limit you have and give your other card what they consider a CLI of the limit your combining. So Cap 1 lines that have been combined are not limits Cap 1 would have normally given you regardless of what 1 thinks. Which is the same thing Chase is doing with people applying just to use the CL as a donor card. If the banks wont give you an increase people are taking upon themselves to use/apply and combine cards to have high limits, within there systems they dont believe or trust a person to have that limit for a reason so if one is not careful they will pull the plug on you. Banks will let a person overextend themselves to see if they can handle it or they abuse it.

Don't hate the player, hate the game. The banks are switching and people on here cant adapt quick enough because they are stuck in 1 format of building credit which is considered old to my standards now. Like BBQ low and slow is the best approach, I prefer to stay under there radar, most on here like having a target on there back by pushing the limits on these banks.

Sorry for the rant...I dont post much but when I do it tend's to be to long.

Message 17 of 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

@JustcallmeTM wrote:

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:
All im going to add is buying a pack of gum or a cup of joe usually is just to constitute usage to keep a card active , not intended as actual usage to get a cliSmiley Wink

Not to be mean or rude, but that thought right there shows how many people have useless cards they don't need, that one have to manufacture a reason to swipe the card. Keeping it active is another way of saying " I have a card I dont use at all ", but I need it to pad my total profile to make it look good for utilization purposes only.

OFF-Topic:

It's funny how many people say I hit the wall in my rebuild, I did also and still got over the hump with no struggle. See my issue was in the beggining was following most of these senior contributors at the time they were senior contributors. I got on the happy train to rebuild then started hitting CLD, AA, denials oh and my INQ are now all in the 20's when I had zero before I ever came onto this site all at the same time. When I decided to start digging into half the peoples past post and experiences I noticed most has gone through BK's (I never have) and there reason was alot of time's carelessness or following most on here without digging up there past information (this site can rebuild or help set you back on the same advice people give).

I see how some try to compare profiles to others and I made the mistake until I dug up all there old posts to find out they compare nothing like me but actually going down there path of mistakes. Turns out over half the people dont post or say how many cards they really have or there past BK's or how they really messed up, but I can say more than half have over extended themselves trying to game the system and then come on here to complain or ask for help, first thing people need to realize if you cant hold yourself accountable for any of your mistakes you can't really be one to depend on for any information and there are alot of those on here only because they are only here to get the best bonus or highest CL for what reason have no clue (especially for the income they state), but some people I understand are self-employed and own there own business so the way they go about there credit is different from one who has a regular 9-5.

Most of the current senior contributors I rememeber not to long ago was new on here and rebuilding, but more than half jumped on the happy train and playing follower and not leading anyone to be honest, more people here encourage others to apply than question the motive's. So what kind of forum is this ? Is this one for informative information or a forum on how to fix your credit while attempting to game a system (reddit and about 10 other forums like this) that is going to game most back in a vicious way. If I was going to post everyday on here the first thing I would tell most people rebuilding is avoid anything sync or commenity period no if and or butts that to me is not a rebuild but a sure fire way to get stuck in debt. Also whether people believe it or not big banks hates when one has more of those sync/commenity cards than legit big bank cards. Sync/Com accounts are only good to keep those with low credit score in debt just because most dont PIF and the APR are through the roof. So again how is telling poeple to apply for store cards helping there rebuild? Charge cards and Credit cards are considered different, credit cards show more responsibility than a store charge cards which is only good in 1 place. So having more store charge cards than credit cards is not a good profile look. I have enough experience with that being stuck in the 600's for over a year having more store cards than actual credit cards and not getting any pre approvals on major banks like Citi,BOA,USB, etc...but that was me playing follower on here instead of leading my own path.

Im not trying to rub anyone the wrong way, but I been reading these forums for years so I already know specific people who I can depend on for solid advice they give to others. Uncle B has to be one of the best ones in here, solid methodical approached helped me get past the wall and trim the fat and not jump on every garbage that the banks throw out there to make one flinch. I went from the high 590's and I currently sit at 720's-740's and just last year this same time I was sitting at 620-640's.

I'm not trying to pick on anyone specific, but when one has senior contributor I expect alot more discipline with the credit approach instead of encouraging people to apply for every garbage out there, it's not helping when people are hitting wall or getting AA or CLD and there are a few current contributors currently in the wall state I wonder why...

Yet 2 other senior contributors actually agree that its ok to swipe a card just to keep it active when that is actually a poor excuse to even have the card unless its for what I said in the first paragraph padding up your overall profile, that's not even good advice. That's a good reason why one would get AA, CLD or there card closed especially if your holding a bunch of SYNC/Commenity cards even Barclays and even Cap 1 so which banks is next to say thats not OK. Don't blame the banks for reading these forums and switching policies if one aint good at adapting on the fly then you'll get left behind and most are going to be playing catch up with all the rule changes taking effect.

By the way with the Cap 1 card I have at 14.5k, it was really just a 7k venture when I was approved in 7/16. I combined another Cap 1 card into it to make it 14.5k that (donor) card I combined was 7.5k but was also another donor card( 6k /1.5k) that I had combined to make it 7.5k. So my 14.5k limit was from combining literally 3 cards into 1, before that for over a year I was getting zero CLI from Cap 1 they wouldnt even touch it. In short if Cap 1 aint giving you CLI and you decided to take it upon yourself to combine cards CAP 1 will close your card with the actual limit you have and give your other card what they consider a CLI of the limit your combining. So Cap 1 lines that have been combined are not limits Cap 1 would have normally given you regardless of what 1 thinks. Which is the same thing Chase is doing with people applying just to use the CL as a donor card. If the banks wont give you an increase people are taking upon themselves to use/apply and combine cards to have high limits, within there systems they dont believe or trust a person to have that limit for a reason so if one is not careful they will pull the plug on you. Banks will let a person overextend themselves to see if they can handle it or they abuse it.

Don't hate the player, hate the game. The banks are switching and people on here cant adapt quick enough because they are stuck in 1 format of building credit which is considered old to my standards now. Like BBQ low and slow is the best approach, I prefer to stay under there radar, most on here like having a target on there back by pushing the limits on these banks.

Sorry for the rant...I dont post much but when I do it tend's to be to long.

The term senior contributors is an internal MyFico descriptor of someone who has posted a lot on here, who, may or may not be following the same formula to building or maintaining credit.

Everyone has a method that works for them, so, extending your expectation onto others isn't exactly why any of us are here, we're here to learn from one another and from time to time, have constructive criticism. 

There's an acronym that you may see here, "YMMV". It means "Your Mileage May Vary". What works for one, may or may not work for another. Free exchange of ideas and methods, find what works for you!!

Message 18 of 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

JustcallmeTM, I wouldn't say my view of Synchrony/Comenity cards is quite so harsh as yours. They are useful in their place, if they're properly used and maintained and have good rewards programs (I agree with you about the higher APR's though compared to "mainstream" CC's). I view having a couple of store cards as being part of an overall diversified credit portfolio (banks do like to see that you're using more than one kind of credit, as a lot of other people have pointed out). That being said, I think we're on the same page about having way too many of those cards. It seems to me that maneuvers like the SCT all too often amount to being nothing more than a way to, as you said earlier, pad one's profile and artificially inflate one's scores, all for getting cards that are likely never going to be actually used.

I will say that I was tempted by the SCT - until I actually took a look at the list of stores. The overwhelming majority of them are stores I'd never even have a reason to shop at, i.e., women's fashion stores. Just about all the rest, such as Abercrombie & Fitch, are stores that I'd probably ever shop at maybe once a year, if that. Overstock is probably the only store on the list I'd even seriously consider, and at that just about all of my previous shopping there has been in the media section (books/DVD's) and Amazon has a way wider stock at much better prices if you shop smart, and I already have the Amazon store card. In fact, aside from Overstock I think the only other store card I'd seriously consider getting is Walmart, and that's because I shop there regularly, keeping in mind the caveat about its being a Synchrony store card.

I think the people who do "gardening", refraining from making new credit apps for a more-or-less specified period of time to focus on managing their existing accounts and "growing" their score naturally, have the right idea, and that's why I'm in the garden myself. A lot of them have specific credit goals in mind; I do myself - I'm aiming to get my various accounts (3x credit cards, 1x store card, 1x auto loan, 1x student loan [the oldest - all the others have been opened in the past 15 months]) aged enough over the next five to six months or so with a demonstrated payment history that I can get a decent rewards Visa. (By the way, what's your opinion of the very popular strategy of joining NFCU via the Navy League to obtain one of their credit cards? I've considered that myself, but I'm more inclined to try Penfed first, being that I have a very long relationship with them going all the way back to my high school/college days and indeed my car loan is from them. I decided not to put a CC app in with them during my spree as I was warned about Penfed's tendency to decline apps with too many other recent inquiries and accounts, but I figure that by the fall things should have cooled down enough that I can try them.)  Anyway, after the Visa I may try for an Amex, possibly Walmart and/or Overstock or Paypal Credit, and then I'm pretty much wrapped up as far as cards are concerned. In fact, one of my credit cards is a Cap One secured Platinum and now that I have an unsecured Platinum as of this February I really want to get the secured one, which I've had since the beginning of last year, graduated and combined with the unsecured one - not to get an "artifical" CLI, but really more for easier bookkeeping and account management. I know Cap One is beginning to graduate older secured cards but, frustratingly, there doesn't seem to be a lot of rhyme or reason as to how they're going about it.

Message 19 of 41
JustcallmeTM
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

JustcallmeTM, I wouldn't say my view of Synchrony/Comenity cards is quite so harsh as yours. They are useful in their place, if they're properly used and maintained and have good rewards programs (I agree with you about the higher APR's though compared to "mainstream" CC's). I view having a couple of store cards as being part of an overall diversified credit portfolio (banks do like to see that you're using more than one kind of credit, as a lot of other people have pointed out). That being said, I think we're on the same page about having way too many of those cards. It seems to me that maneuvers like the SCT all too often amount to being nothing more than a way to, as you said earlier, pad one's profile and artificially inflate one's scores, all for getting cards that are likely never going to be actually used.

I will say that I was tempted by the SCT - until I actually took a look at the list of stores. The overwhelming majority of them are stores I'd never even have a reason to shop at, i.e., women's fashion stores. Just about all the rest, such as Abercrombie & Fitch, are stores that I'd probably ever shop at maybe once a year, if that. Overstock is probably the only store on the list I'd even seriously consider, and at that just about all of my previous shopping there has been in the media section (books/DVD's) and Amazon has a way wider stock at much better prices if you shop smart, and I already have the Amazon store card. In fact, aside from Overstock I think the only other store card I'd seriously consider getting is Walmart, and that's because I shop there regularly, keeping in mind the caveat about its being a Synchrony store card.

I think the people who do "gardening", refraining from making new credit apps for a more-or-less specified period of time to focus on managing their existing accounts and "growing" their score naturally, have the right idea, and that's why I'm in the garden myself. A lot of them have specific credit goals in mind; I do myself - I'm aiming to get my various accounts (3x credit cards, 1x store card, 1x auto loan, 1x student loan [the oldest - all the others have been opened in the past 15 months]) aged enough over the next five to six months or so with a demonstrated payment history that I can get a decent rewards Visa. (By the way, what's your opinion of the very popular strategy of joining NFCU via the Navy League to obtain one of their credit cards? I've considered that myself, but I'm more inclined to try Penfed first, being that I have a very long relationship with them going all the way back to my high school/college days and indeed my car loan is from them. I decided not to put a CC app in with them during my spree as I was warned about Penfed's tendency to decline apps with too many other recent inquiries and accounts, but I figure that by the fall things should have cooled down enough that I can try them.)  Anyway, after the Visa I may try for an Amex, possibly Walmart and/or Overstock or Paypal Credit, and then I'm pretty much wrapped up as far as cards are concerned. In fact, one of my credit cards is a Cap One secured Platinum and now that I have an unsecured Platinum as of this February I really want to get the secured one, which I've had since the beginning of last year, graduated and combined with the unsecured one - not to get an "artifical" CLI, but really more for easier bookkeeping and account management. I know Cap One is beginning to graduate older secured cards but, frustratingly, there doesn't seem to be a lot of rhyme or reason as to how they're going about it.

NFCU is my main go-to for everything. At the end of the day I choose a CU over any bank.

I'm not really happy about the Navy League way people are getting in. I mentioned before it was just a way people found and are using, but for every NFCU commerical you never hear its open to everyone ever. So is that way really legit or one bound to close soon don't know. Would I tell a person not to do it, no, if everyone else did might as well go ahead. 

The reason why I don't like it is people are joining because of easy high limits not because of actual need, that in itself is what I dislike about the way most go about. In my opinion the easiest way to rebuild is to start via a CU. So if your going to rebuild then I would say use NFCU/PenFed (Penfed only if you have a fresh CR and havent went on any sprees) as your starter first get the card and LOC and build from there as a starting point. 

I have PenFed also but that was after all the hype but not going into real details how everything works got a Promise card for BT purposes to find out you still need to get approval to actually do the BT. If your score ain't high enough it's a no go. When finding that out I was left disappointed I wasted my INQ for the pupose of a BT to find out that little info a tad to late. For others they find it works for them, they want my tax returns for a 5k increase (the increase wasnt big enough for me to close off another card I dont use) and told them to withdraw the CLI. Then its the matter of a product change is the same way SYNC operates when you get upgraded. They close the account and open a new account so your report will show a closed account and new account. Thanks but no thanks on that also. So the card in short is useless to me at this point. For credit cards they are nothing special, but there LOC and loan products are the key to this CU more than the CC's. I think its the only reason why I would keep my PenFed account is only for Loans.

I like Amex they are pretty straight forward and simple I would also start with a Amex also if I was rebuilding who doesnt need a supermarket/gas card, I like the ED/EDP more than the cash back card. I have Paypal Credit I like that more than the Blispay card I had also and I closed it after I finished paying it off (another person mentioned this card aint for everyone, the 0% for 6months can creep up quick and have no way of paying will leave you in a crappy spot, this was another hyped card last August). I don't hate SYNC or Comenity I just dont support it or endorse it as something that is good to start your credit. I have 1 of each Lowe's and PayPal Credit. Lowe's is just for the 72mo 5.99% deals they have for appliances, besides that I have no need. PayPal credit has uses everywhere online and it's a hidden account.

Message 20 of 41
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.