Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Zero to 11 credit cards in 30 days

tag
sobeone1
Regular Contributor

Zero to 11 credit cards in 30 days

I just cant believe it. I am almost 50 years old and have never had a credit card until now. I couldnt even get a score a month ago. Here is my story. Had a stident loan in default, tried applying for credit cards like Walmart and alway rejected. Well a month ago the student loan got forgiven and like a week later I checked my credit score it was 680 to 716. So I applied for walmart and my banks credit card (pnc Bank) they both turned me down. My bank said because I have a bankruptcy on my cret. ( years old now.) Walmart I forget what they said. Then 3 days later Walmart sent me a pre approval so I went for it and got it, yea. $1k c.l. Only cost me 2 hard hits. Bummer. Then I got a pre approval from Credit One (not Capital One) The card that is supposed to be a scam. Well there not. I agreed to their rules and understood them. They reported almost imdediatly and only cost me $75 bucks. 300c.l limit. Paid $50 bucks then they raised it to $500. Then i did the Commenty bank trick. What most people dont get is that its Commety Bank that played the trick on us. Got O.S.P, Kingsize & bryanlayne. Only 250 c.l. Also got Fingerhut preapproval for $600 c.l. I paid credit one off $65 and paid walmart off, $35. Then I waited. I wanted to wait till atleast 1 credit card reported that i paid but I got anchious, so within 3 weeks I did my studying on here and knew I shouldnt get anymore hard pulls and should wait atleast a year but I didnt. Approved Discoverit $3000, Lowes $3500, Barclays $1300 Paypal Mastercard $3000. You can now call me Farmer John for a year now. I just cant believe it. I went from no credit to this in really 3 weeks. I am able to take on this responsibility because I am at a very good place in my life and I will never charge more then 10% just to keep these cards reporting. I owe it to all of you and your wisdom on here and Creditcarma to helping me on my journey back. I am doing this all so 1 day I can have good enough credit to buy just a $30k home to flip. Thank you all and I will be carefull. I am responsible person now.

credit karma has my scores at T.U 637 Equifax 668 but all of my Major cards have my score between 710-730 fico AAoA 7months with 16 inquires T.U & Eq 12 inquires.

Fingerhut $1200 my first credit. Discover it 4.5k, Paypal extras 7.8k, Barclays 2.2k, Walmart 6k, Lowes 25k, Amazon 6.5k Cap1 Q.S 4k, Venture 10k, Voice 10k, Chase freedom 2k Slate 3.5k, 5th 3rd 10k, overstock2.9k, Kingsize 1k. Nasa 20k, NFCU 14k, loc 10k, BBVA 14k, Amex ED 10k, income 76k (I put them in order of receiving them)
Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
coldnmn
Mega Contributor

Re: Zero to 11 credit cards in 30 days

Congrats! Welcome to the forum and thanks for sharing

Discover IT $17k / US Bank Ace (VSig) $13.5K / US Bank Cash+ (VSig) $13.5k
Sam's Mastercard $15k / Walmart Mastercard $10k / Blispay $7.5k PayPal Ex MC $10.8k
CareCredit 5k / Husq $5k / Cap1 QS $4.5k / Barclay Ring $5.35k / Citi DC (WMC) $12k
Gardening Date 7/01/16 / MyFico 08: EQ 801 / TU 777 / EX 771 / 06/08/17
Message 2 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Gool luck and congrats!
Message 3 of 15
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Congrats!!!!

BTW,,, Credit One is not a scam, it's just expensive.  They charge fees for everything and interest starts from time of purchase.  So they're just expensive.  Now that you have other cards, best bet would be to cancel them before their annual fees come back around.  They serve their purpose as a building card at times, but you're past that now.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 4 of 15
sobeone1
Regular Contributor

Thank you Coldnmn and excuse my writing, I was excited and I meant to say say my bankruptcy was 9 years old.

credit karma has my scores at T.U 637 Equifax 668 but all of my Major cards have my score between 710-730 fico AAoA 7months with 16 inquires T.U & Eq 12 inquires.

Fingerhut $1200 my first credit. Discover it 4.5k, Paypal extras 7.8k, Barclays 2.2k, Walmart 6k, Lowes 25k, Amazon 6.5k Cap1 Q.S 4k, Venture 10k, Voice 10k, Chase freedom 2k Slate 3.5k, 5th 3rd 10k, overstock2.9k, Kingsize 1k. Nasa 20k, NFCU 14k, loc 10k, BBVA 14k, Amex ED 10k, income 76k (I put them in order of receiving them)
Message 5 of 15
sobeone1
Regular Contributor

Thank you Shogun. Like I said Credit One is "NOT" a scam, but I disagree with you, they are not expensive. If you call paying $75 to get a credit card comany to take a chance on you and reporting emediatly to all 3 credit reporting agency's and giving you a  payment history is expensive I dont know what to say. I would pay thousands to get a great credit report. To have to pay $75, I call it a steal

Message 6 of 15
creditFiend
Established Contributor

@sobeone1 wrote:

I just cant believe it. I am almost 50 years old and have never had a credit card until now. I couldnt even get a score a month ago. Here is my story. Had a stident loan in default, tried applying for credit cards like Walmart and alway rejected. Well a month ago the student loan got forgiven and like a week later I checked my credit score it was 680 to 716. So I applied for walmart and my banks credit card (pnc Bank) they both turned me down. My bank said because I have a bankruptcy on my cret. ( years old now.) Walmart I forget what they said. Then 3 days later Walmart sent me a pre approval so I went for it and got it, yea. $1k c.l. Only cost me 2 hard hits. Bummer. Then I got a pre approval from Credit One (not Capital One) The card that is supposed to be a scam. Well there not. I agreed to their rules and understood them. They reported almost imdediatly and only cost me $75 bucks. 300c.l limit. Paid $50 bucks then they raised it to $500. Then i did the Commenty bank trick. What most people dont get is that its Commety Bank that played the trick on us. Got O.S.P, Kingsize & bryanlayne. Only 250 c.l. Also got Fingerhut preapproval for $600 c.l. I paid credit one off $65 and paid walmart off, $35. Then I waited. I wanted to wait till atleast 1 credit card reported that i paid but I got anchious, so within 3 weeks I did my studying on here and knew I shouldnt get anymore hard pulls and should wait atleast a year but I didnt. Approved Discoverit $3000, Lowes $3500, Barclays $1300 Paypal Mastercard $3000. You can now call me Farmer John for a year now. I just cant believe it. I went from no credit to this in really 3 weeks. I am able to take on this responsibility because I am at a very good place in my life and I will never charge more then 10% just to keep these cards reporting. I owe it to all of you and your wisdom on here and Creditcarma to helping me on my journey back. I am doing this all so 1 day I can have good enough credit to buy just a $30k home to flip. Thank you all and I will be carefull. I am responsible person now.

Congrats on the approvals!!Cat Wink

Last app: 2/21/2016
Amex PRG (NPSL)| Amex Hilton Surpass ($17.6K)| Barclays Arrival WEM ($13K)| Barclays SM ($11K)| Capital One QS ($15K)
CareCredit (15.6K)| Chase CSP ($12K)| Chase Hyatt ($5K)| Chase FU VS ($7K)| Chase Ritz ($16.7K)| Citi DC ($2.4K)
Discover It ($4K)| Lowe's ($17K)| MSUFCU ($5K)| Nasa FCU ($20K)| Navy Cash Rewards ($20K)| Navy CLOC ($15K)
PenFed Thrifty ($500)| USAA Rate Advantage ($7K)
Message 7 of 15
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Grats on your successful spree Smiley Happy

Message 8 of 15
DrZoidberg
Established Contributor

I think he means expensive because there are fees and annual fee for a card with no rewards or benefits. You have 10 other cards that aren't an annual fee and you should drop the credit one, having the discover is enough really. Congrats nonetheless.

Message 9 of 15
BigBS
Senior Contributor

Congrats on your success!

Score: EQ(809) EX(819) TU(800)
INQs: EQ(7) EX(16) TU(8)
Last INQ: 13 Jul 23

Total Credit Limit - $2.0M

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.