cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

best CC to try for with a soft pull.

tag
SecretAzure
Valued Contributor

Re: best CC to try for with a soft pull.

@Anonymous wrote:
New accounts still affect scores.

Listen to this man. Few have as much experience with this lol. AAOA+New Account=huge tank in your score(s).

Is there a list of stores where SCT work? I may be interested in the future.

"Show your thanks with action! Hit the "Kudos" button (the stripe with the star) for every post you find helpful to show your appreciation to the community of great individuals who help you on these forums" -Me

Active Cards: Chevron Texaco, Amex BCE, Barclays Ring, Chase Freedom, Chase Freedom Unlimited, Best Buy Visa, Marvel MCMust garden until 2/1/2022 to hit my goal AAOA. Smiley Indifferent
Message 11 of 22
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

There's about 37 threads covering SCT. Google is your friend.
Message 12 of 22
kdm31091
Super Contributor

The only cards I've heard of obtaining with a SP are the aforementioned shopping cart trick cards which IMO you should not go crazy with and only have limited value anyway (typically low limit and obviously only useful for a specific retailer).

I'd work on your credit report, give it time and then you can obtain what you actually want instead of what you can easily get. Be patient. Really, getting what you can with a SP just because you can is not the best plan. It will just mess you up down the line if you end up with many SCT cards and then the more useful prime cards say you have "too many new accounts". Just be careful.

Message 13 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Stay away from SCT.

Or your reports will look like krokodil addicts limbs. Smiley Indifferent

Message 14 of 22
Jerry45
Valued Contributor

Valuable Information. Thanks

Message 15 of 22
Jerry45
Valued Contributor

Sweet. Way to go. Nice CL

Message 16 of 22
Jerry45
Valued Contributor

I agree Nix. With Comenity I would just apply for the Visa type cards, and maybe a decent store like JCrew, but some out there have 10+ of these store cards of mall stores I have never heard of. LOL

Message 17 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Or 20.

Or 30....
Message 18 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think the SCT is good for those who are rebuilding or starting credit, or for the mid tier (meaning FICO scores in the mid to upper 600's). For people in the upper 500's or low 600's at least if you can get a pop up on a few accounts and make a small purchase or 2 on them, you will have some trade lines show up on blank or previously blemished reports.

J Crew and Overstock seem to be the best for higher limit potential and quicker cli's but beggars can't be choosy. That said, I think 2-3 SCT accounts is sufficient. Some of those online storefronts no one has ever heard of I would pass on (you guys know the ones I mean) unless you can actually justify buying a few items periodically to keep the account active.

Lowering utilization seems to be the key driver for those of us closing in on the credit world 700 club, who have a few SCT accounts. Several thousand dollars in limits or more on SCT accounts can offset higher spending on our major bank cards. While our AAoA may drop short term, it will even out in time.  

For people with low scores 3 of these so called "piddly" accounts  over 6-9 months coupled with a subprime  M/C or Visa or 2,can be a lifesaver in moving people up to the upper 600's and low 700's in their scores.

I don't think one needs a credit report with 6-10 or more off the wall accounts with low limits. Just enough to elevate to being able to walk in Macys, Nordstrom, Dillard's etc in 6 months if you really want a store card,and get approved, plus being able to get a non starter card from Capital One, Chase, Barclays, or an Am Ex card.

My .02 worth.

Message 19 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I think the SCT is good for those who are rebuilding or starting credit, or for the mid tier (meaning FICO scores in the mid to upper 600's). For people in the upper 500's or low 600's at least if you can get a pop up on a few accounts and make a small purchase or 2 on them, you will have some trade lines show up on blank or previously blemished reports.

J Crew and Overstock seem to be the best for higher limit potential and quicker cli's but beggars can't be choosy. That said, I think 2-3 SCT accounts is sufficient. Some of those online storefronts no one has ever heard of I would pass on (you guys know the ones I mean) unless you can actually justify buying a few items periodically to keep the account active.

My .02 worth.

The problem is people in credit purgatory tend to abuse this. And their scores tend to stay stagnant longer for it because of the AAoA drop.

Store cards should be limited to what one actually will USE. Getting store cards just because you can be approved for them because of low scores isn't key because it doesn't help the factor that keep the scores low. Derogatory accounts. Wait for them to drop off or age to a point where their effect on your scores is much less, and THEN apply for true credit cards that you have a chance at keeping.

Message 20 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.