Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

chase amazon denial?

tag
windyhair
Valued Member

chase amazon denial?

i've been working really hard on rebuilding my credit over the last few years and have brought up my scores significantly. 2 years ago, i was around 500, now i'm getting >680 on both EQ and TU. 3 months ago, i got a prequal msg from usaa, so i went for it. got a $7k limit. wow! i thought. anyway, something got a hold of me the other day after i started reading about the shopping cart trick, and i apped at overstock. $5500. i did the same at paypal credit - $2500. long story short, i apped for a chase sapphire preferred, got $8k, and thought i might want a chase amazon, too, since i order a ton from there. denied. i don't even remember what the message said exactly because i was intensely watching the basketball tournament at the same time. sheesh, i know better. oh, i also apped for a citi thankyou preferred. denied on that, too, but with a definite denial message. thoughts? suggestions? i've already flogged myself for being greedy. lol

from oldest to newest (current limits): CapOne Platinum $1.5//CapOne QS $5.3//Merrick $2.9//USAA Rate Advantage $7//Paypal Credit $2.5//Overstock $5.8//CSP $8//Sallie Mae WMC $4//CapOne Venture $15//Discover It $1.5//USAir $2.5//USAA Rewards $7//Chase Marriott $5//Amazon Prime $5//Nordstrom $2.5//Macy's $600//Belk $600
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: chase amazon denial?

Just a guess here, as I am in the same boat.

Chase is pretty picky about a bunch of new accounts and inquires on your file. You could try reconning the decison with them. Citi in my experience is VERY senstive and they are very nervous about new accounts, inquires and the like. My advice would be to garden for 6 months and let your new accounts and inquires age, then reapply. Just my 2 cents

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Just a guess here, as I am in the same boat.

Chase is pretty picky about a bunch of new accounts and inquires on your file. You could try reconning the decison with them. Citi in my experience is VERY senstive and they are very nervous about new accounts, inquires and the like. My advice would be to garden for 6 months and let your new accounts and inquires age, then reapply. Just my 2 cents

Not as picky as BOA

Message 3 of 7
Skye12329
Valued Contributor

If you apped for 2 cards from Chase on the same day it could be a few reasons:

1. Want to see how you handle an account with them
2. Verification issue
3. Too many new accounts within a short period of time
BK7 - 2/21
Cap1 QS - 2k (4/21)
Mission Lane - 4k (11/21)
Venmo - 900 (11/21)
SavorOne - 2500 (12/21)
VentureOne - 2000 (7/22)
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

All I gotta say is make sure you can handle all of the credit Smiley Happy And credit is a journey not a race.

Wil you be spending more than the allocated available credit you currently have? If not, the just let those age for 6 months. A lot of people don't realize it is fun getting the cards and being approved but what happens when that bill comes? Maybe its happened for a reason. I usually app for 2 cards at a time and then allow months in between applicatons but I do understand the itch as well.

Message 5 of 7
elim
Senior Contributor

Chase Amazon has one of those "hard to figure out" approval ratings. sometimes better scores get denied and lesser get approved. lord only knows.

As far as Chase and Inqs / new accounts, i have 14 new accounts in 10 months and more inquiries, 706 TU and just got my 3rd chase card (2nd in 4 months)

I got the amazon with a 666 TU and 649 EX (double pull)

like i said... "strange bird chase amazon"

congrats on your USAA card! I have a 7k card there also (and more recently a car loan),    great bank

Message 6 of 7
windyhair
Valued Member

good advice there. the plan is to max out points/rewards without buying stuff i don't need. however, summer camp for 3 kids plus yearly vacation sure are expensive (which i already have the cash for), so i may as well get some rewards! plus i order most of our household goods from amazon, so i'd rather get something out of that, too, instead of using my credit builder cards. i certainly don't need that merrick or cap one platinum card anymore, but i have to give them props for helping me rebuild. i did come up with a good use for the low limit cap one card, though. i added my college kid as an authorized user so he can use it ONLY for emergencies - like car repairs - with the express condition (from me) that i be contacted first. i tell ya, if i see ONE charge from a bar, he's off! but i'm done with applying for any cards for a long, long time. next up is (most likely) buying a house next year when my car is paid off. *happy dance*

from oldest to newest (current limits): CapOne Platinum $1.5//CapOne QS $5.3//Merrick $2.9//USAA Rate Advantage $7//Paypal Credit $2.5//Overstock $5.8//CSP $8//Sallie Mae WMC $4//CapOne Venture $15//Discover It $1.5//USAir $2.5//USAA Rewards $7//Chase Marriott $5//Amazon Prime $5//Nordstrom $2.5//Macy's $600//Belk $600
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.