Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

chase closing my card

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

chase closing my card

HI, Just got a letter from Chase that they are closing my card due ti in activity,

card has not been used for past 2 years and i have this card since 2007, my score is 803.

i,m going to give them a call to ask them keep it open,hope they do,in mean time it it right to apply for a new 

card before i call them? i got pre qualified for chase unlimited freedom.

Thanks

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
pipeguy
Senior Contributor

Re: chase closing my card

@Anonymous wrote:

HI, Just got a letter from Chase that they are closing my card due ti in activity,

card has not been used for past 2 years and i have this card since 2007, my score is 803.

i,m going to give them a call to ask them keep it open,hope they do,in mean time it it right to apply for a new 

card before i call them? i got pre qualified for chase unlimited freedom.

Thanks

I would guess that if you have not used the card in over 2 years its really not a useful card for your needs. Most lenders will close or warn that an account is under review for inactivity of 1+ years. Obviously your score is not an issue, but if you really want to keep the card I'd call Chase and talk to them about a product change or tell them something like I didn't realize it had been that long since I used the card but I'd like to keep it open after 10 years.  

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would call them and ask if they would reopen the card and product change to something you'd use.

Message 3 of 4
steel_string
Regular Contributor

I've seen a few of these posts lately. It seems like Chase is cracking down on inactivity more than in the past. They used to generally let you keep an account inactive as long as you used it at least once between card expirations. I had one sit inactive for three years with no problems. (I started using it occasionally about two years ago to be safe).

Chase Sapphire Preferred ($24.005k), Fidelity VS ($17K), United MileagePlus Explorer ($17K), Chase Freedom ($15K), Chase Freedom Unlimited ($15K), AmEx Blue Cash ($12.5K), IHG One Rewards Premier ($6.1K), US Bank Cash+ ($5K)
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.