cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

getting a credit card if you have a measly charge off from 2 yrs ago?

tag
kittywitty
Contributor

getting a credit card if you have a measly charge off from 2 yrs ago?

I had a $300 ge capital toys r us card that is charged off due to the fact they tried charging me $80 in late fee & over the limit fee which they would not fix even though it is not legal to issue such high fee's in one billing period. basically they saw my name on a bad/skip debt list thanks to springleaf financial when they lent my husband money on very shady terms which he never paid a dime on. i had nothing to do with the loan but yet they added my name to an illegal bad debt list and as a result ge capital would not correct their billing error so i refused to pay. so that was over 2 yrs ago and i have been afraid to attempt getting another credit card. i had a chase card for 7 yrs with only 2 late's, one paid off auto loan with no lates, then my recent auto loan w/wells fargo with some late's, a 6 month secure loan paid and a credit score of 630ish. wondering about applying through one of my two credit unions for a credit card but don't won't to get a hard pull and then get turned down. i owe nobody nothing and i own my home but lenders want to get greedy when i apllied for a car loan to replace the one i had just paid off then someone else hit and totalled my car. at some point i want to get another car but i refuse to overpay in interest as i paid 10% the first time and insurance did not care what i paid for the car, only the low ball value i received. so i want to try getting my score up and i think a credit card is needed to do so. i usually use my  paypal business card for everything, i have it linked to my checking account and i love the 1%cash back i get every month but it does nothing for my credit score so as much as i hate a credit card. i do not want a secured card i only want to deal with a credit union. should i apply or no? i'm afraid to try. lol

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
wmweeza
Established Contributor

Re: getting a credit card if you have a measly charge off from 2 yrs ago?

That's quite a bit more then one charge off. It's a charge off and several lates on different accounts. Since it's more then one they may see it as a pattern...

You'd be limited in what you could get, me personally I'd pay off that charge off (that amount of money, although wrong, is not worth ruining further credit over) then I'd either look into a secured card or grow what you have and wait for that charge off to fall off the credit reports THEN seek new credit

Last App 10/14. FICO's: AMEX Ex 846, BarclayTU08 815.FAKOs:CreditKarma 775,CS score 771.BofA 5400,Target $5000,Barnes $8500,Amex $22k
Message 2 of 13
wmweeza
Established Contributor

Credit unions are more forgiving. Maybe call one and ask their opinion and go from there. It never hurts to ask someone at a credit union for advice

Last App 10/14. FICO's: AMEX Ex 846, BarclayTU08 815.FAKOs:CreditKarma 775,CS score 771.BofA 5400,Target $5000,Barnes $8500,Amex $22k
Message 3 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'd first get a copy of each of your credit reports and true FICO scores (I know, I sound like I work for this site - I do not). Without knowing your true scores and what's in each of your reports, everyone, including yourself, would just be guessing as to what you can or can't be approved for. Once you know what's there, there's ways to go about applying that can offer you much better odds of being approved. Until you do this, you could be wasting HP's and making your situation considerably worse.
Message 4 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@kittywitty wrote:

I had a $300 ge capital toys r us card that is charged off due to the fact they tried charging me $80 in late fee & over the limit fee which they would not fix even though it is not legal to issue such high fee's in one billing period. basically they saw my name on a bad/skip debt list thanks to springleaf financial when they lent my husband money on very shady terms which he never paid a dime on. i had nothing to do with the loan but yet they added my name to an illegal bad debt list and as a result ge capital would not correct their billing error so i refused to pay. so that was over 2 yrs ago and i have been afraid to attempt getting another credit card. i had a chase card for 7 yrs with only 2 late's, one paid off auto loan with no lates, then my recent auto loan w/wells fargo with some late's, a 6 month secure loan paid and a credit score of 630ish. wondering about applying through one of my two credit unions for a credit card but don't won't to get a hard pull and then get turned down. i owe nobody nothing and i own my home but lenders want to get greedy when i apllied for a car loan to replace the one i had just paid off then someone else hit and totalled my car. at some point i want to get another car but i refuse to overpay in interest as i paid 10% the first time and insurance did not care what i paid for the car, only the low ball value i received. so i want to try getting my score up and i think a credit card is needed to do so. i usually use my  paypal business card for everything, i have it linked to my checking account and i love the 1%cash back i get every month but it does nothing for my credit score so as much as i hate a credit card. i do not want a secured card i only want to deal with a credit union. should i apply or no? i'm afraid to try. lol

Don't take this the wrong way but when you open a charge account, no matter how high the interest is You HAVE TO PAY YOUR PAYMENTS BEFORE THE DUE DATE. ALWAYS!!!

You guys seem to have an income problem causing you to have 30 day lates. You should not have had an overlimit or late fee wuth Toys R Us. The bill should have been paid on time with more than a minimum payment and you would still have the card and good credit. You talk about what you REFUSE to pay in interest,  but you have a file riddled with 30 day lates. Had you paid on time you could get a decent rate, right?

No more late payments EVER.

I wouldn't apply for any credit until you get your finances in order. I understand life is hard and money is tight.  You just have to be careful.

Message 5 of 13
ecxpa
Valued Contributor

@kittywitty wrote:

You have more problems than a "measley charge off " .......seems like you are blaming your troubles on others.    you are on a rocky road filled with pot holes.....honestly, I don't think you will find much favor with a CU.  You have to abide by the T&C of a credit card company whether or not you agree or whether or not it is "right" otherwise they are going to ding you.   You have put yourself in the predatory lending pit it sounds like.   You will find it difficult to impossible to  get any card that doesn't have a high interest rate, likewise with an auto loan.   

You can wait and let things fall of your reports or try to clean them up. It's going to be hard to get a good revolving CC with reasonable interest rates.    BTW what happened to your Chase card.......was there problems with this one also?  Like it has been said you need reports with scores so you know where you really are.  There may be things in your file you are not aware of or that can be disputed successfully.  It is hard to believe you have a 630ish FICO with what you have listed.  Not being mean, just trying to be objective.

Message 6 of 13
elim
Senior Contributor

check capitalone prequal site and grab something there.

Message 7 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Elim, I was just going to suggest that. 😁
Message 8 of 13
Callandra
Valued Contributor

@kittywitty wrote:

I don't know how legal it was for what GE Capital did but if you think it's illegal, you can still look into it. That charge-off will hurt you until it falls off your reports. I do suggest paying it (you might even be able to settle and still have them mark it as a paid or remove it for full payment). A lot of CC companies do not like unpaid charge-offs (paying shows that you are working to clean up your act). I suggest hitting the Rebuilding forum for support and advice. As for the lates, you can try writing goodwill letters (again see Rebuilding forum, they have samples). Cleaning up your reports will help you tremendously and lates really hurt and will hurt until they fall off. 

What happened with the Chase card?

I suggest pulling your reports (if you have not done so, get your free ones from annual credit report) or you can pull them here along with your scores for a price. I don't know where you are score wise but with your baddies, you might have to consider secured cards (check into SDFCU or BoA -- SDFCU will not pull your credit for the secured card). 

And yes, remember ALWAYS PAY ON TIME!! Smiley Happy

Quicksilver $10,000 | Better Balance Rewards $2000 | Sallie Mae $3500 | Freedom $3500

Last HP: 9/27/2015
Message 9 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I had a very difficult time reading that. Paragraphs please?
Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.