Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

need a card

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

need a card

Im not sure which card would is the best to apply to im 24 and have a sears mc 5300, home depot 3000, and cap one 1000.  My utilazation in about 10% but my file is very thin. my fico scores are 707 eq, 765 tu, and 712 exp.  no lates however last year i shoped for a car and tu report has 10 hard pulls and the others are less than 5.  I choose not to get the car so i paid cash for a used one. However, im being told that I need to add more credit to my report 

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
ojefferyo
Valued Contributor

Re: need a card

@Anonymous wrote:

Im not sure which card would is the best to apply to im 24 and have a sears mc 5300, home depot 3000, and cap one 1000.  My utilazation in about 10% but my file is very thin. my fico scores are 707 eq, 765 tu, and 712 exp.  no lates however last year i shoped for a car and tu report has 10 hard pulls and the others are less than 5.  I choose not to get the car so i paid cash for a used one. However, im being told that I need to add more credit to my report 

How long have you had these cards?

Amex Platinum, Amex Hilton HHonors Surpass, Chase Southwest Premier, Chase Marriott Rewards Premier, Discover IT, Sony Visa, Barclay Arrival+ MC, Cabela Visa, Walmart SC, Amazon SC, Kohls, Diners Club Premier, PayPal Credit, PenFed Platinum Reward Visa, PenFed PLOC, Chase Ritz Carlton, Citi TY Premier, Amex BCP, Discover Miles, Care Credit, Blue Nile SC, iComfort SC, Cap1 Venture, Chase Hyatt, Lowes, US Bank Cash+, Citi Costco Visa
Message 2 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Over a year and my parents added me to there discovered card that has a 15 year history showing for tu and exp

Message 3 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was in a very similar situation to your current one about two months ago. My profile was similar, my three scores were each approximately 10 points higher. I applied for 10 different cards and received approvals on all 10. I think you should look at the pre-qualification sites and then just research which card will benefit you most. I opened 2 AMEX, 2 Citi, CapOne, Diners Club, Cabela's, Discover, Chase and a Barclay. Probably leaving some out, but my point is, your probably good to go on just about any card you could want. Don't put any stock in the Discover pre-qualification, but most others are reliable. My only advice would be to try and get an AMEX before the end of the year so that your future cards will backdate to 2014... Good luck!

Message 4 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thnak you for all the help, where can I find the pre qaulifiactions site? I want to apply right away. Also thinking about costco amex or should i apply through web site?

Message 5 of 15
Themanwhocan
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

What State do you live in?

Sallie Mae MasterCard:   https://www.salliemae.com/credit-cards/sallie-mae-card/

Citi Double Cash

Bank of America Better Balance Rewards (barely use the card each month, pay after it reports, and get a free $25 every 3 months)

TU-8: 804 EX-8: 805 EQ-8: 788 EX-98: 767 EQ-04: 752    
TU-9 Bankcard: 837 EQ-9: 823 EX-9 Bankcard: 837
Total $443,800
Message 6 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am doing some bookkeeping right now, so I don't have the time to google the pre-qual sites for you. All you need to do is google "chase pre qualification" first or second link will be the one you want. You can do that for all of the banks you are interested in getting cards from. They are all soft pulls, so you won't get more inquiries. I am not sure if the Costco AMEX is issued by Centurion Bank or not, I know other members will be able to clarify. You want to be sure your AMEX is from Centurion Bank so that you can take advantage of backdating. I have the AMEX Everyday and also a Business Gold Rewards. I use them both heavily and after my minimum spend bonuses and normal spending I already have almost 100K Membership Rewards points. Just depends on what you are looking to get out of the cards before you choose which is best for you.

Message 7 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

TN

Message 8 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

TN

Go to the major websites like Chase, Amex, Discover, Citibank, Capitalone and they all have a pre-qualification link for you to find out whether you are qualified /pre-approved. Barlays does not have it.  I hope it helps.  

Message 9 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

did you apply for business and personal at same time? and thanks for all the help

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.