Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

should I apply - Barclays Apple Visa?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

should I apply - Barclays Apple Visa?

Hello!

I have read these forums for quite some time but I'm a new user poster here myself. I would like to both thank everyone for their information and kindly request some advice Smiley Happy

I'm intrigued by the Barclays Visa with Apple Rewards card. Should I apply?

I'm a self-proclaimed Apple fanboy making a few large Apple purchases within the next year - iPhone X, new laptop, and possibly a new iPad. I thought of using the initial financing offer for the iPhone X and have read here that you can later call to ask them for the financing offer to be added again to finance new purchases. I would only use the card for Apple purchases to get the rewards and nothing else, for those 3 large purchases I'd get at least $100 in rewards plus the deferred interest financing, pending they'd renew the offer. The card has no annual fee and the rewards points never expire so I would mostly keep the card in the drawer and keep the account open to improve credit utilization. Also, I fully understand the consequences of not paying the balance before the offer expires and will not pay deferred interest.

Credit background and application info:

Credit Karma FAKO scores - 685 TU / 710 EQ

55K income

2/2015 BK CH 7 discharge

Have great history since then. Current accounts:

Citi Simplicity MC - 2K, no balance, added as AU - account opened 1/14

CO QS MC Platinum - 3.5K, -$26.50 credit (overpaid balance assuming interest would be charged after promotion but was not), individual account opened 11/16

Macy's store card - 10K, no balance, individual account opened 1/17

CO Venture Visa Signature- 15K, $451 balance, individual account opened 10/17

31K in-school deferred student loans but making income based repayment payments

History reflects recent statement and closing date information. Most statements dates were 10/22, Venture card closed 10/15. From my understanding it takes 2-3 days to report to bureaus so I would apply for the account Thursday to ensure this data reflects.

I have read that the card is relatively easy to be approved for, true? I have also read that Barclays doesn't like to see many inquiries or new accounts. I have 4 inquiries on TU, 2 on EQ and a brand new Venture card plus 2 new accounts within the last year. 

My plan before thinking of applying for this card was to garden until I can try to apply for my goal cards - AmEx Plat or CSP/CSR in a few years once the inquiries and 5/24 issue falls off (for Chase) and I hit the 5 year post BK mark (for Amex).

My questions are - considering the rewards I'd get but also considering my future goals and desired cards: 

1) should I apply for this card

2) is it accurate to assume I'd be approved

3) if I do apply, what should I enter as the requested financing amount (essentially credit line)?

Thank you for your advice and any other tips or suggestions! 

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
marty56
Super Contributor

Re: should I apply - Barclays Apple Visa?

Don't know what their score requirment was but mine were in the upper 700's at the time when I did.  They auto CLI'd the card twice.  The first CL was just enough to cover the cost of the Mac Book.  They offer free monthly EQ FICO score.  The interest rates suck after promo but the occasionally offer 0% to buy another Apple product and BT transfers.  No issue with them or the card.

1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you can get a decent SL, I'd recommend the Discover IT.  Current 5% category is Amazon, plus they match your cash back for the first year.  Also 14 month 0% Intro APR.  It would also be much more useful after the Apple purchases.  

FWIW, I'll be making a few Apple purchases this year as well.  My Disco CL isn't high enough though, unfortunately.  

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

What you need to think about as well is the famous CLDs from Barclay.  They are known for doing this, and since you most likely will carry a balance on an apple product...? they might do this if you start applying for other cards. 

I would rather get a card that offers $0 interest for a year or more.

I will not apply for anymore Barclay cards ever Smiley Wink  CLD have not happened to me, but has happened to many here on the forum.

Message 4 of 6
MrDisco99
Valued Contributor

If your Apple purchase is over $2K you get 0% for 24 months. That's why I apped for mine. That's the only purchase I intend to put on it.
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@MrDisco99 wrote:
If your Apple purchase is over $2K you get 0% for 24 months. That's why I apped for mine. That's the only purchase I intend to put on it.

Ohh ok, sorry i missed that.

Still, for me, i would not apply because of the chance of getting CLD.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.