Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

should i get an amex?

tag
johnpalley
Established Contributor

should i get an amex?

hows it goin guys. i pretty much just finished my app spree that ive been planning for, for years. these are the cards i got accepted for

chase slate

barclay ring

discover it

bofa platinum visa signature card (lowest interest)

citi diamond prefered

i currently dont have an amex. initially i had the amex blue cash card on my list as the last card i was gonna apply for in this spree but now im starting to rethink it. as you can see i want cards with low apr % rates and if i do use the card im gonna carry a balance thoughout time and not pay it in full. maybe amex would come in handy if they offered special balance tranfer rates every so often. do they have offers like this often? the way i see it the rate on the amex will most likely be higher than my other cards so unless they have special offers every so often than the card might be useless to me. what do you guys think?

Message 1 of 20
19 REPLIES 19
jay0
Established Member

Re: should i get an amex?w

AMEX, not the best cards for balance transfers. However, they usually provide generous CL's and along with the 61 day 3x cli, their credit cards are good for utilization purposes. 

I wouldn't want to carry a balance on one though

Message 2 of 20
chalupaman
Super Contributor

Re: should i get an amex?

@johnpalley wrote:

hows it goin guys. i pretty much just finished my app spree that ive been planning for, for years. these are the cards i got accepted for

chase slate

barclay ring

discover it

citi diamond prefered

i currently dont have an amex. initially i had the amex blue cash card on my list as the last card i was gonna apply for in this spree but now im starting to rethink it. as you can see i want cards with low apr % rates and if i do use the card im gonna carry a balance thoughout time and not pay it in full. maybe amex would come in handy if they offered special balance tranfer rates every so often. do they have offers like this often? the way i see it the rate on the amex will most likely be higher than my other cards so unless they have special offers every so often than the card might be useless to me. what do you guys think?

Amex ED has that 15 month 0 APR intro offer and there's the potential to get a low APR on it too. I got 12.99% on mine when I had it.

Tradelines: Macy’s - $18k, Penfed Power Cash Rewards - $10k, Ethan Allen (TD Bank) - $5.7k, Kay Jewelers - $5.5k, Appliances Connection - $5.3k, Jared - $5.25k, Best Buy (Citi) - $5k, Dell Preferred Account - $3.5k, Samsung - $3.2k, Firestone CFNA - $3.2k, Capital One Platinum - $3k, Mercury MC - $2.25k, Williams Sonoma - $2.1k, Wayfair (Fortiva) - $2k, Amazon Store Card - $1.8k, Apple Card - $1.7k, NFCU cashRewards - $1.5k, CareCredit - $1.5k, B&H Photo - $1.5k, Adorama - $1.25k, Ebay MC - $1k, Sam’s Club MC - $1k, American Eagle - $1k, Ollo MC - $600, Mission Lane Visa - $500, NY & Company - $500, Walgreens - $500, Home Depot - $500, Target RED Card - $500, CapOne Secured MC 0 AF - $500, Penfed Overdraft LOC - $500

Current FICOS: Mid 640s-50s on all reports, Ch 7 BK D/C Aug 2019
Starting scores: EX - 534, EQ - 574, TU - 516 | Total TLs: $91k approx | Total Utilization: 17%, getting this back down
Message 3 of 20
johnpalley
Established Contributor

i guess i was thinking right all along. looks like its just better to stay away. 5 cards is enough anyway i guess. thanks for the info. if anyone disagrees please post

Message 4 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

@johnpalley wrote:

i guess i was thinking right all along. looks like its just better to stay away. 5 cards is enough anyway i guess. thanks for the info. if anyone disagrees please post

Right choice and decision..  I'd stick to it and stay away from the Amex..

Message 5 of 20
johnpalley
Established Contributor

@chalupaman wrote:

@johnpalley wrote:

chase slate

barclay ring

discover it

citi diamond prefered

Amex ED has that 15 month 0 APR intro offer and there's the potential to get a low APR on it too. I got 12.99% on mine when I had it.

yeah i was reading about that on the forums. i figured why carry a balance with the amex when i can carry one on my ring for 8%. the other cards i got have balance transfer offers on the regular etc. plus other stuff i like

Message 6 of 20
johnpalley
Established Contributor

the last decision i need to make is if i should get an amex jet blue card. does anyone know if jet blue plans to keep amex as there bank card for a long time? i read on the forums that maybe jet blue was trying to find another bank to offer there card. anyone have any info on this?i only fly jet blue so i want to have a jb card for life. if there leaving amex id just rather wait and get a card from the new bank

Message 7 of 20
jay0
Established Member

@johnpalley wrote:

the last decision i need to make is if i should get an amex jet blue card. does anyone know if jet blue plans to keep amax as there bank card for a long time? i read on the forums that maybe jet blue was trying to find another bank to offer there card. anyone have any info on this?i only fly jet blue so i want to have a jb card for life. if there leaving amex id just rather wait and get a card from the new bank

I actually just applied for JetBlue card, and got a warning message from amex that they were terminating the JetBlue card soon, and asked if I still wished to continue applying. So it looks like that's a no

Message 8 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

@johnpalley wrote:

the last decision i need to make is if i should get an amex jet blue card. does anyone know if jet blue plans to keep amex as there bank card for a long time? i read on the forums that maybe jet blue was trying to find another bank to offer there card. anyone have any info on this?i only fly jet blue so i want to have a jb card for life. if there leaving amex id just rather wait and get a card from the new bank

Don't get it.. That deal is over...

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-02-13/jetblue-said-to-drop-card-partner-amex-for-barclay...

Message 9 of 20
johnpalley
Established Contributor

@jay0 wrote:

@johnpalley wrote:

the last decision i need to make is if i should get an amex jet blue card. does anyone know if jet blue plans to keep amax as there bank card for a long time? i read on the forums that maybe jet blue was trying to find another bank to offer there card. anyone have any info on this?i only fly jet blue so i want to have a jb card for life. if there leaving amex id just rather wait and get a card from the new bank

I actually just applied for JetBlue card, and got a warning message from amex that they were terminating the JetBlue card soon, and asked if I still wished to continue applying. So it looks like that's a no

yes!!!!! so glad i bumped into you hear brotha. do you have any idea what bank there switching to? i have an unpaid charge off with amex anyway and im not sure they would of let me back in so im glad there switching banks. i need to know what the deal is on this asap, maybe i should start a thread

Message 10 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.