Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

whats next for me .. makes sense?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

whats next for me .. makes sense?

So for my next credit steps and journey. i want to consolidate some of my credit lines and close some accounts. after paying what i owe. 

for example im thinking of closing the amex green since i mainly use the gold and it has better rewards. 

i also think of closing the freedom and transfering the limit to CSP that way its another card with over 10k.

and those two steps think would be good. my AAoA is about a 1 and 2 months since most of my credit history began in 2014 exept for my boa cash rewards which is from 2009. 

if i do these changes it will be by april or may. does it make sense or it could be left as is ?

i need suggestions.

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: whats next for me .. makes sense?

Does the Green have an AF? If so and you don't use it,  it may be a good idea to close it. As for the Freedom, I'd suggest SD the card after consolidating the limits. No sense closing a card with no AF. Plus you can use the 5% categories.

Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Green is useless really, if you have the Gold. Just ask me. I have them both as well, and I never use it either. Closing it sounds like a sound decision. Consolodating, is good if you have no intention of using certain cards again. Best of luck.

Message 3 of 9
bigbang91
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

So for my next credit steps and journey. i want to consolidate some of my credit lines and close some accounts. after paying what i owe. 

for example im thinking of closing the amex green since i mainly use the gold and it has better rewards. 

i also think of closing the freedom and transfering the limit to CSP that way its another card with over 10k.

and those two steps think would be good. my AAoA is about a 1 and 2 months since most of my credit history began in 2014 exept for my boa cash rewards which is from 2009. 

if i do these changes it will be by april or may. does it make sense or it could be left as is ?

i need suggestions.

you do know the freedom has no AF,5% bonus,and annual 10% bonus if you have Chase checking account right?Plus,point can be transfer to CSP then transfer to airlines,hotels...In my opinion,Chase Freedom is the best no AF out there,just got  5k points from the 10% bonus

Message 4 of 9
kdm31091
Super Contributor

I'm sure the OP knows the Freedoms benefits. It doesn't always have to be about convincing them to keep accounts they don't want. I think closing freedom and green makes sense. You can move the limit from Freedom, so no util change there, but if you have no use for the freedom don't keep it just because it has no AF.

Also they've nerfed the freedom 10 percent bonus. Its done as of December 2015, so keeping it for that is a short lived reason. That benefit isn't gonna be around much longer, so I don't see how Freedom is the best. Personally I think their categories are often more specific and less appealing than Discover but YMMV
Message 5 of 9
bigbang91
Established Contributor

@kdm31091 wrote:
I'm sure the OP knows the Freedoms benefits. It doesn't always have to be about convincing them to keep accounts they don't want. I think closing freedom and green makes sense. You can move the limit from Freedom, so no util change there, but if you have no use for the freedom don't keep it just because it has no AF.

Also they've nerfed the freedom 10 percent bonus. Its done as of December 2015, so keeping it for that is a short lived reason. That benefit isn't gonna be around much longer, so I don't see how Freedom is the best. Personally I think their categories are often more specific and less appealing than Discover but YMMV

I didnt know that. Still, chase freedom points can worth alot more than Discover 1cent per point. And with 3 of his cards being travel related, im sure the freedom will be more useful than BoA cash award/better at correcting points earn than discover from my experience. They still refused to honor my online purchases. 

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@kdm31091 wrote:

I have to disagree on this one?  I am not too sure that OP is/was aware of the benefits of the Freedom?  I just don't.  As for the closing of the Green, sure it definitely makes sense.  Ten percent aside, the Freedom has value.  And if he isn't trying to optimize his/her scores for anything, why should the OP worry about the utilization now?  Also, with such a young AAoA why are you closing anything?  And yes I am aware of how long an account remains on CR after being closed.  

Maybe it's that I'm not a fan of just closing cards?

Message 7 of 9
kdm31091
Super Contributor

You may not be a fan but OP wants to consolidate and close cards.
Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

im just concerned about too many accounts. upon sleeping on it.

Before the AF hits on the green charge i will cancel it. really just keep freedom since Chase has been good to me. lol i was worried for nothing last night.

Smiley Happy

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.