Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A true Discover tail for the ages:)

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: A true Discover tail for the ages:)

Congratulations AJC!!! I know it must feel good to be a part of the discover familiy after 4 tries and 5 hp!! Persistence is the key!! Happy for you! And wishing you happy CL growth on your card! Smiley Very Happy

Message 51 of 117
Anonymous
Not applicable

@UncleB wrote:

Don't forget to check out the 'Discover Deals'... I'm usually not into going through portals to get cash back (they tend to annoy me), but Discover's is actually pretty good.  Most importantly, anything you earn from using their portal is doubled as well

Last fall I got $10+ cash back for a new pair of Nike's by logging into the Discover portal first then letting it direct me to the J.C. Penney website.  Of course you'll have to wait a year to get the 'match' just like your other Discover rewards, but it will come before you know it!  Smiley Very Happy

I was actually impressed with how many big-name companies have available 'deals'... it's at least worth a quick look when you have a spare moment. 

One of the offers I consider 'low hanging fruit' doesn't even use the portal at all... it's a code for a $10 gift card when you renew your basic Sam's Club membership in-club (and even more if you have the 'Plus' membership).  This effectively brings the cost of the basic down to $35/yr.  (Since this one isn't a cash reward it doesn't double, of course, but it's still pretty good!)

Hint:  If you've not used any portals before (or haven't recently) beware that using adblock can mess with it (i.e. your purchase goes through fine, but you never see the Discover Deal rewards).  I use Firefox primarily, but for shopping through a portal I login to Discover via Chrome - where I don't have adblock software - and let it direct me to the store's site from there.  So far this has worked like a charm.  Smiley Very Happy

I'm pretty new tot he Discover family. So thanks for the very valuable info UncleB

Message 52 of 117
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

THANKS SJ and Bella!! Understood. Actually, Discover already reported to my TU and put a $175 balance when they did so so im definitely gonna make a payment with my next checkSmiley Happy. I check every other day to see when things post.Smiley Happy
Message 53 of 117
Anonymous
Not applicable

@UncleB wrote:

Don't forget to check out the 'Discover Deals'... I'm usually not into going through portals to get cash back (they tend to annoy me), but Discover's is actually pretty good.  Most importantly, anything you earn from using their portal is doubled as well

Last fall I got $10+ cash back for a new pair of Nike's by logging into the Discover portal first then letting it direct me to the J.C. Penney website.  Of course you'll have to wait a year to get the 'match' just like your other Discover rewards, but it will come before you know it!  Smiley Very Happy

I was actually impressed with how many big-name companies have available 'deals'... it's at least worth a quick look when you have a spare moment. 

One of the offers I consider 'low hanging fruit' doesn't even use the portal at all... it's a code for a $10 gift card when you renew your basic Sam's Club membership in-club (and even more if you have the 'Plus' membership).  This effectively brings the cost of the basic down to $35/yr.  (Since this one isn't a cash reward it doesn't double, of course, but it's still pretty good!)

Hint:  If you've not used any portals before (or haven't recently) beware that using adblock can mess with it (i.e. your purchase goes through fine, but you never see the Discover Deal rewards).  I use Firefox primarily, but for shopping through a portal I login to Discover via Chrome - where I don't have adblock software - and let it direct me to the store's site from there.  So far this has worked like a charm.  Smiley Very Happy

+1 Discover Deals is awesome! 

Message 54 of 117
Anonymous
Not applicable

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:
THANKS SJ and Bella!! Understood. Actually, Discover already reported to my TU and put a $175 balance when they did so so im definitely gonna make a payment with my next checkSmiley Happy. I check every other day to see when things post.Smiley Happy

I should have mentioned that they did report a balance for me in July even though statement didn't come out til August. I was actually glad they did since my goal is rebuilding, but I could see where it might not be so great if UTIL isn't where you want it to be. At least you weren't over 10% when they reported.

Message 55 of 117
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

MugenCivicSi83....

With Disco it ok to be fashionably lateSmiley Happy. Thanks for the kind words and i hope everything is going well over there in Switzerland. I would love to visit there someday!!. Let the Disco ball shine bright to light the path to good credit hahaSmiley Wink
Message 56 of 117
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Thank you for the encouragement, Its PossibleSmiley Happy. I see you are new as well so may our journeys with Discover build healthySmiley Happy
Message 57 of 117
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Thanks UncleB , as always. Yeah im like a kid in a candy store exploring everything Disco has to offer. Ive already baught something in Sams and Amazon since its the quarterly special. Ive been checking out the discover deals and looks to be some good ones. Only bad thing is many of the things/ stores i'd buy from just dont ship to where i liveSmiley Sad. But i will make the most of it. Thanks again on all the pointersSmiley Happy
Message 58 of 117
MugenCivicSi83
Frequent Contributor

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:
MugenCivicSi83....

With Disco it ok to be fashionably lateSmiley Happy. Thanks for the kind words and i hope everything is going well over there in Switzerland. We aren't there yet Smiley Sad 7 weeks away and counting! I would love to visit there someday!! If you need a place to visit, feel free to drop me a line! Let the Disco ball shine bright to light the path to good credit hahaSmiley Wink Shiny Disco Balls!

Hover over Shiny Disco Balls! and click mouse Smiley Happy enjoy! haha

FICO 8 Scores: EX 706 (11/3/2016) EQ 696 (11/17/16) TU 708 (11/17/2016)

"Use your Credit wisely, don't let it use you!"~Me Smiley Very Happy

Message 59 of 117
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Thanks Bella!, yeah it was no problem once i get a hang of when statrment cuts and reports i think ill be okSmiley Happy. Ill definitely keep everyone appraised of my progress up the Discover ladder. Great day everyoneSmiley Happy
Message 60 of 117
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.