Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX CLI

tag
nenuco
Frequent Contributor

AMEX CLI

So I have (2) cards with Amex. A BCE & a Hilton with no annual fee. I know the 3X CLI is not guaranteed. That being said would it be more prudent to ask for a CLI from $3,000 > $9,000 on the Hilton and from $3,000 > $6,000 on the BCE or increase them both to $7,500. I know at the end it equals the same $15K credit line with AMEX, but right now my highest card is around $6K so I thought maybe I would have a better shot getting $15K by getting them both to $7,500. On the other hand since the rule of thumb for the initial CLI is 3X, what would be the rule of thumb for subsequent increases? Thanks.

Full on Garden Mode (•‿•)
Message 1 of 24
23 REPLIES 23
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

Re: AMEX CLI

You aren't using the < &> signs correctly. Lol

I've decided that I'm just gonna ask for a little less than 3xcli at 61-90 days on my BCE..
Maybe from like $3500 to $10350 LOL
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 2 of 24
nenuco
Frequent Contributor

@youngandcreditwrthy wrote:
You aren't using the < &> signs correctly. Lol

I've decided that I'm just gonna ask for a little less than 3xcli at 61-90 days on my BCE..
Maybe from like $3500 to $10350 LOL

I meant to illustrate them as arrows increasing from one CL to the other. Lol What do you think about the second time you ask for a CLI. Does Amex care how you distribute you CL?

Message 3 of 24
Cdnewmanpac
Established Contributor

My understanding is that Amex will grant 1 CLI per member every 6 months, not per card. I believe  you will be declined for your second request. Regardless of amount. 

In wallet: Ink Plus 10k, AMEX TE 25k. In bag: CSP 16k, USAA WMC 15k, Hyatt 13k, United MPE 12k, AMEX HHonors 3k. In SD: Cap 1 QS 5k, Discover IT 7k. FICO 08 says my EQ is now 844, was 510 in 2010.
Message 4 of 24
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

Oh! Haha I was just a tad confused how you were using them...sorry, I'm a grammar nerd LOL.
I'm new with Amex too, but I'd say higher CLs become a factor of income and current score generally.

Once I get to $10k with Amex, I'll be super stoked and won't care about CL's at that point. I'll just maintain my other lines (use at least annually to prevent closure/increase in util.)

Cdnewmanpac, do you have experience with Amex, or are you basing info on what you've read here?
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 5 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Cdnewmanpac wrote:

My understanding is that Amex will grant 1 CLI per member every 6 months, not per card. I believe  you will be declined for your second request. Regardless of amount. 

+1  Also, if you want $9,000, ask for $9,000.  Since Amex does counter-offers, you're probably not going to lose anything by asking for the full amount.

Message 6 of 24
nenuco
Frequent Contributor

I know Citi & Discover counter offer, but I have not heard of Amex doing this. I have heard many people not getting approved for the 3X CLI, and not getting a counter offer either. So to have to wait another 3~6 months is not worth it, although my highest credit line isn't that far off the 3X CLI. 

Message 7 of 24
Cdnewmanpac
Established Contributor

I only have 1 revolver and was considering getting a 2nd, since my member year is 1988. I called in to ask, because of things I'd read here. I was told by the rep that it was one CLI per member per 6 months, not per card. As with anything else, the rep could be misinformed, but that is what she said.

In wallet: Ink Plus 10k, AMEX TE 25k. In bag: CSP 16k, USAA WMC 15k, Hyatt 13k, United MPE 12k, AMEX HHonors 3k. In SD: Cap 1 QS 5k, Discover IT 7k. FICO 08 says my EQ is now 844, was 510 in 2010.
Message 8 of 24
navigatethis12
Valued Contributor

@nenuco wrote:

I know Citi & Discover counter offer, but I have not heard of Amex doing this. I have heard many people not getting approved for the 3X CLI, and not getting a counter offer either. So to have to wait another 3~6 months is not worth it, although my highest credit line isn't that far off the 3X CLI. 

I received a counter offer when I asked for an increase. If no counter offer is given, they just do not feel comfortable extending that person any more credit on that card.

Message 9 of 24
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

Oh okay!! That sounds good... I only have one Amex (BCE). Might wanna get the Platinum after I grad:-)
Message 10 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.