cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX approve ANY card with paid charge-offs on credit file?

tag
badassmonkey11
Valued Member

AMEX approve ANY card with paid charge-offs on credit file?

Does anyone know if AMEX will even approve someone with charge-offs still actively showing on credit files? The accounts were charged off 6 years ago (one more year or so to go to stop showing), but have been paid in full since. My credit scores from a month ago were EX:677; TU:716; EQ:691. I have 4 open credit card tradelines: MACYS $1500 (4 years old); CARECREDIT:3700 (less than 1 year); ORCHARD BANK (now crap one) $320 (2 years old); BARCLAY NFL REWARDS $800 (almost 6 months). I have student and auto loans all in good standing and have never been late on these accounts either.

I want to buy a house next year (saving for DP and CC takes forever!), so I have been trying to build my credit as best as possible. I would like a decent card as the Orchard Bank card would not increase my limit after 2 years (i am thinking bc it is Cap One and they rarely do anything like that).

Will I have any chance of getting approved for AMEX BCE or any other decent card?

Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
rkinnahan
New Contributor

Re: AMEX approve ANY card with paid charge-offs on credit file?

I have a CO on my report from 2009.  It's marked as paid.  I applied for and was insta-approved for the Amex SPG with a great CL (see Siggie).  I had an Amex years ago that they closed on me (Acct in good standing, but I think due to the CO in 09).  I recently went on an app spree and just went for it and was pleasantly surprised.  My scores float around the 700 mark.  I think 700 EX, 690 EQ, 720 TU.  AAoA of somewhere between 6-7 years.

Hope this helps!

Chase Sapphire Preferred $12k | Chase Freedom $7k | Chase United MileagePlus Explorer $15k | Chase Hyatt Visa $11.8k | Chase Amazon Visa $3k | Citi TY Premier $8.5k | Amex SPG $13.5k | Amex HHonors $5k | Discover IT $9k | BofA Cash Rewards $6k | BofA BB Rewards $2.7k | Banana Republic Visa $3k
Message 2 of 17
dodgerslv
Valued Contributor

I was instantly approved for my first amex card in march with 2 chargeoffs (1 paid, 1 unpaid) from 2007 and a small paid collection from 2011.

gardening since 5/21/2016
Message 3 of 17
badassmonkey11
Valued Member

hmm so it is definitely not a staright no. i don't think my scores are high enough and besides that you have much higher limits on other scores. Now I can say that my AAoA is around 6.5 years, so maybe that can help offset score. decisions decisions.

Message 4 of 17
badassmonkey11
Valued Member

i meant higher limits on other cards....

Message 5 of 17
rkinnahan
New Contributor

I got my CSP and Freedom after the SPG.  At the time of my SPG application, I had Discover at 6k, Citi TY at 8.5k and BofA at 6k.

Not sure if that helps, but figured that might be helpful info.

Chase Sapphire Preferred $12k | Chase Freedom $7k | Chase United MileagePlus Explorer $15k | Chase Hyatt Visa $11.8k | Chase Amazon Visa $3k | Citi TY Premier $8.5k | Amex SPG $13.5k | Amex HHonors $5k | Discover IT $9k | BofA Cash Rewards $6k | BofA BB Rewards $2.7k | Banana Republic Visa $3k
Message 6 of 17
dodgerslv
Valued Contributor

@badassmonkey11 wrote:

hmm so it is definitely not a staright no. i don't think my scores are high enough and besides that you have much higher limits on other scores. Now I can say that my AAoA is around 6.5 years, so maybe that can help offset score. decisions decisions.

@badassmonkey11 wrote:

i think you have a really good chance at getting approved. your AAOA is strong. When i got approved my limits were still in the 2k range. Only my Cap1 and WF secured were my highest limts at 3.5k and 4k at that time. My AAOA was around 4 years.

gardening since 5/21/2016
Message 7 of 17
enharu
Super Contributor

You should be fine with non-recent charge offs on file, unless those charge-offs are by American Express themselves. Best of luck!
JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 8 of 17
CreditJunkie917
Frequent Contributor

would two COs from 07/08 with SL default/collections disqualify me from apping an AMEX Green? Perfect payment history since 2010.

Amex PRG(NPSL), Amex BCE($5K), Amex Hilton($1K), NavCheck ($15K), NFCU CR Siggy($20K), USAA Amex($7K), USAA World MC($7K), CSP($2.3K), Chase Marriott($1.8K), Care Credit($2.5K), Cap1 QS($3.5K), VS($500), Cap1 Secure($200) Starting Scores(Jan 2013): FICO EQ: 643, TU: 552, EX: 567 Current Scores(Sept. 2016): FICO EQ: 672, TU: 703(?), EX: 682 In the Garden FOR-EV-ER!!!!! Cards and goals achieved! Let's grow and mature these babies!!!
Message 9 of 17
phillyguy12
Frequent Contributor

i got the zync back in 11 w/ paid charge offs and paid collections showing, i think my score was around 660 and i only had 1st perimer $400 and credit one 1150 limit active at the time, earier this month i got their BCE but added other cards, their pull had my exp at 676 i think off hand still showed the pd charge offs and pd collections

Amx BCE-25k,Amx Zync-NSPL
Barclay's Mastercard-13.5k
Credit Union Visa-1k
Discover-24k, Khols-2k
Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.