cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

APPROVED for Am Ex BCE, Green, and Chase Freedom!

tag
wenckebach

Re: APPROVED for Am Ex BCE, Green, and Chase Freedom!

@bigblue7722 wrote:

congrats! What are your scores if you dont mind me asking?

I don't have my FICO scores, but I started out with a TU (CreditKarma) score of 588, and it's now up to 651.  Experian started out at 530 and is now up to 657.  Not bad for 10 months of work!

I'll probably pull my official FICO score in a few months, but before I pay for it, I wanted to let these new changes settle down.  I'm not looking to take on any new major debt right now, so this is more of a pre-emptive credit fix.  We probably won't buy a house for another few years, because I'm (hopefully) getting into a doctoral program a few states over, so it makes sense for us to rent for now. 

To be honest, I'm surpised I was approved for these.  The Chase Freedom has a $2200 limit, the Amex Green is NPSL of course, and the BCE didn't tell me- it just said I was approved, so that will be a surprise when I get the card in the mail.  I know for sure that rehabbing my student loans helped immensely, and I also last spring I had my husband add me as an AU on a few of his cards so that I have a longer AAoA, and higher limit/lower utilization.  And that car I bought in 2008- it was a four year loan and I was never late on any payments.

I've come a long way from last spring, when BoA turned me down for their SECURED card because of "serious delinquency."  It goes to show you that hard work and patience do pay off, and that credit can be fixed, even if it seems hopeless at the start.

Edit to add- I'm down from 9 orginal baddies to 3.  Those 3 are really old and should be falling off within a year or so, and are small medical bills from a past emergent surgery, I think in total they are ~$700 combined.

In the garden since 1/25/14
Message 21 of 24
Josh2942
Established Contributor

Congrats bro!

Jaguar F-Type R Loan 50K Balance
Goldman Sachs Signature Loan $29,000 TU 750 score pulled at time of loan.
Student Loan Debt $1,500
Credit Card Debt $300 1>% of $166,700
FAKO Transunion 723 Equifax 744
What's in my wallet? Chase Sapphire Reserve, Chase Freedom Unlimited, and AMEX Blue for Business
Message 22 of 24
wenckebach

Well, color me surprised.  I decided to app for one more card before I planted myself squarely in the garden.  I was interested in the Discover It because of the monthly FICO scores.  I had a pre-approval mailed to me, so I figured what the heck, why not go for it.  I applied online and was instantly approved!  They didn't give me a credit limit (just said I was approved and had me set up my online account) so I called to see what the credit limit was--5k! 

So, after this incredibly successful run, I'm headed back to the garden for at minimum 6-12 months.  The only card I have in my sight at this point is a CSP, and I figure after 6-12 months of having the 5k limit with Discover, plus the Amex Green, BCE, and the Chase Freedom, it will give me a pretty good shot.  I'm still in shock that I was able to rebuild to this point!  

When these cards arrive, the first phone call I'm making is to cancel the two secured cards I have--added bonus of having them at 10 months old so I can cancel before the AF hits again.  Goodbye sub-primeville!

In the garden since 1/25/14
Message 23 of 24
TG76
New Contributor

@wenckebach wrote:

I am so excited- I've been approved for 3 new cards- Amex green and BCE, as well as Chase Freedom!

Just a year ago I found these forums, and I have learned an incredible amount.  I found to courage to attack my student loans head on and get them out of default, get rid of dings on my credit, and applied for cap one and us bank secured cards to establish revolving credit.  I've faithfully PIF (after making sure the amounts hit the bill and kept my util around 5%) and worked so hard to get my credit back under control, and here I am today, with 3 great cards, much better credit, and knowledge that is incredibly empowering.  I can't believe I got approved for Amex!!!

I cannot wait to get rid of these dinky little sub prime cards and garden, garden, garden.   

Thank you all for the knowledge you've all posted in the forums.  I'm more of a lurker than a poster, but please know I am so grateful for you all!

Congrats!! Smiley Very Happy

Message 24 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.