Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice needed. - Best card for this situation - Update: Approved

tag
fltireguy
Valued Contributor

Advice needed. - Best card for this situation - Update: Approved

I need a little advice and input. My GF is taking a trip to Ireland next May. My goal is to have her pay for it with points (airfare $650+/-, plus lodging etc... most importantly is to pay for the air..)

She has good credit - 720-760 FICO across all 3. Maybe 3 inq in the past 18 months. 0 balance on all cards

Her current lineup - (after CSP Approval @$8k)
JetBlue MC $9.5k CL. (Was a AMEX)(Calling Barclays and closing this week - no need for the card or CL)
Chase Amazon $7k (just combined her Disney into this and closed the Disney. Which ended up being a $16k amazon card. Just moved $9k to new CSP) (2012)
WF Visa (non rewards)$8.9k (7/15)(keeping this due to WF cell phone protection)
BOA non rewards $5k (Oct 17)(going to PC to Cash Rewards)

Thinking she should kill off the WR and replace it with something that will earn points / rewards toward her trip. She’s not adverse to a small AF, if it makes sense. She doesn’t want to add any net accounts, so WF would probably get closed

Her monthly spend is probably $1500 on the card, all PIF (I can help her hit the SUB if needed)

Based on this, what do you think the best card for rewards would be? She was thinking Venture, I kicked that idea to the curb though... she is NOT a member of any CU - But wouldn’t mind joining

Will WF PC?
Will Barclays PC the JetBlue? For some reason they LOVE her... (some people have good luck with Barclays.. she’s one of them)

CSP Approved (was showing preapproval w/solid APR) $8k. Moved $9k from Amazon to make it $17k CL

GF now understands the beauty of SUB

Mod note:  I've updated your subject to reflect your GF's approval; feel free to edit/change if you would like.  --UB
NFCU $60.4k/PenFed $22.5k/Commerce $15K/53 $11K/Synovus $14K/BBT $11K/CapOne $12K/DCU $7.5K/BMO $7.5K/Chase $14.5k/Cabelas $10K/ and many many more!
Total CL $398600, plus car and RV loan.
Ooh. Ooh. Getting closer to that $500K mark!
Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Advice needed. - Best card for this situation

Message 2 of 21
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Since you mentioned the airfare seems to be the priority who is she flying with for her trip?

Message 3 of 21
fltireguy
Valued Contributor

ABCD, thanks I saw that a while back
My question is more for rewards earning/paying for trip for someone that doesn’t have a huge amount of spend, than it is for use in Ireland which is what the post that you mentioned was about...

I should also add. Most of her spend is groceries, gas, and around $250 a month in utilities
NFCU $60.4k/PenFed $22.5k/Commerce $15K/53 $11K/Synovus $14K/BBT $11K/CapOne $12K/DCU $7.5K/BMO $7.5K/Chase $14.5k/Cabelas $10K/ and many many more!
Message 4 of 21
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@fltireguy wrote:
ABCD, thanks I saw that a while back
My question is more for rewards earning/paying for trip for someone that doesn’t have a huge amount of spend, than it is for use in Ireland which is what the post that you mentioned was about...

I should also add. Most of her spend is groceries, gas, and around $250 a month in utilities

I would go the CSP route then. It'll cover a lot of bases for the trip as far as the SUB, what insurance the trip will cover and it's a Visa product which will help in acceptance. Obviously it won't help her beyond the SUB with her type of spend but with the first year free it's worth taking a look at. And if she decides she doesn't want it after the first year it can be PC'd to the Freedom for the 5% categories since more often than not categories will fit her spend (at least 2 of the 4 quarterly categories).

Message 5 of 21
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

WF will not PC. The only sustainable upgrade would likely be if she had Propel 365 to Propel World. Not sure if they even do that any longer.

Barclays will not PC either. They could upgrade to the JetBlue Plus, but she'd miss out on the SUB. IIRC, Icelandair is a JetBlue partner but not sure as far as redemptions on that airline as far as TrueBlue points.
Message 6 of 21
wasCB14
Super Contributor

Which airports (FL and Ireland) are options? Is she flexible on dates?

What's wrong with Venture?

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 7 of 21
fltireguy
Valued Contributor

shes Flying into Dublin, most likely. But, it doesn’t matter which airport - whichever is the least expensive. Lots of relatives throughout the country to pick her up Smiley Happy
Message 8 of 21
fltireguy
Valued Contributor

Probably flying on Norwegian (super low cost carrier) from Newburgh, NY...

Venture is meh IMO. 1.25% leaves a lot to be desired... I’d rather see her with a PenFed PCR @2%

Flying in 5/2019
Message 9 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

If she only want one card then I'd say the Chase Sapphire Preferred. The signup bonus should cover the airfare alone and with your spend you should be able to get enough to pay for a little lodging.

However I would recommend a combination of the CSP and then either the Chase IHG or Chase Hyatt. Like I mentioned, the CSP will cover airfare easily. Then the signup bonus on either the IHG or Hyatt will cover a few nights. Plus each one gives you an anniversary credit of one free night each year. That gives you another free night.
Message 10 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.