cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alaska Airlines and Starwoods Preferred Guest Approved!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Alaska Airlines and Starwoods Preferred Guest Approved!

Wow, I'm totally shocked that I got an instant Approval on Alaska Airlines Visa and Starwood Preferred Guest. I wanted the bonus offeres for both. Before I applied, I had 17 inquires on my Experian report. A week ago, I was approved for Delta Skymiles, Citi AAdavantage Perferred, and Barclays World Arrival. In addition, I turned in a current lease on a Toyota for a new lease on a Toyota. Therefore, I had a number of new accounts and inquires on my report when I applied today.

Experian was pulled for both credit apps; my Experian fico score is 679.    The credit line for the Alaska Airline card is $2000 and the credit line for the Starwood is $1000. With the Starwood, I got the bonus offer to receive 35k points if I spend 3k in within 90days. I'm not concerned about the credit limit now, I will quickly spend a 1k, pay 1k, spend 1k, pay 1k, etc until I reach the 3k which I will do in 1 month. I will request an increase after 90days. The bonus offer for the Alaska Visa is 25k points upon activation! It has a $75 annual fee that is not waved, but the points and the fact that you get a $99 companion ticket on any flight every year is more than worth it.  Most importantly, the points are redeemable on partner airlines Delta, American Airlines, etc. You can't transfer miles, but they are equally the same value. 

Some things to note:  the Starwoods card is my 6th Amex card. I've read where some people stated that Amex places a limit on how many Amex cards a customer can have. I have Amex Everyday, Amex Blue Cash, Amex Premier Rewards Gold, Delta Skymiles, and Starwood. Make it 7 if you want to include my Amex First National Bank of Omaha. 

Other things to note: concerning CItibank, some have stated that Citi don't like inquires. I applied for Citi AAadvantage with 15 inquires on my report and was approved. However, I have a Citi Diamond and have been an excellent customer. Maybe they took that into consideration. 

All in all, I am officially done and I promise I will go back into the garden!

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Alaska Airlines and Starwoods Preferred Guest Approved!

Congrats...  

W/regards to Amex you can have 4 revolvers from Centurion bank along with as many Charge cards as you would like.. So this makes your limit of the four revolvers thus you didn't break the rule and FNBOA amex isn't included in that rule due to it being an card on the Amex network, not issued by Centurion bank.  

W/regards to the Alaska Airlines isnt the 25k bonus only good if you get the signature vs. platinum version of the cards as well?

Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

Congrats...  

W/regards to Amex you can have 4 revolvers from Centurion bank along with as many Charge cards as you would like.. So this makes your limit of the four revolvers thus you didn't break the rule and FNBOA amex isn't included in that rule due to it being an card on the Amex network, not issued by Centurion bank.  

W/regards to the Alaska Airlines isnt the 25k bonus only good if you get the signature vs. platinum version of the cards as well?

Thanks for clarifying the Amex cards limit. I actually did not see the platinum version of the Alaska Airlines card. The 25k bonus is for the Visa Signature which is the one that I applied for. The Visa Signature is the only card that they are adverstizing on their website. 

Message 3 of 11
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

Congrats...  

Thanks for clarifying the Amex cards limit. I actually did not see the platinum version of the Alaska Airlines card. The 25k bonus is for the Visa Signature which is the one that I applied for. The Visa Signature is the only card that they are adverstizing on their website. 

Just a FYI if you read the terms and conditions if you don't qualify for the Visa Signature then you will be considered for the platinum meaning anything under 5k CL and the bonus offer changes significantly although i don't remember to what.  You might want to go back and read the term and conditions, but if you got a 2k CL that will be the platinum version of that card

Message 4 of 11
12njoy
Super Contributor

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

Congrats...  

Just a FYI if you read the terms and conditions if you don't qualify for the Visa Signature then you will be considered for the platinum meaning anything under 5k CL and the bonus offer changes significantly although i don't remember to what.  You might want to go back and read the term and conditions, but if you got a 2k CL that will be the platinum version of that card

I agree with CC.  You're likely getting the platinum version which doesn't give you the 25,000 miles.  Not sure what the perks with the platinum version are.

(Formerly known as: Credit is my hobby (1.6M)/TCL objective)
___________ 12Njoy
FICO - EX 810; EQ 797; TU 804 I'm climbing back to 800+
Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

Congrats...  

I applied for the Visa Signature and the Approval message stated that I was approved for the Visa Signature card with a credit limit of 2000k. The approval page did not state that I was NOT approved for the Visa Signature and offered me the Platiunum version of the card. However, if that is the case. I simply won't activate the card and call them ASAP to retify the situation. 

Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wow, how misleading Bank of America are. I just read the fine print and you guys are correct, it states:  if your application is approved with a credit line that is greater than or equal to $5,000, you will receive a Visa Signature® account; if the credit line is less than $5,000, you will receive a Platinum Plus® account.  

Instead of 25,000 miles bonus, I will receieve 5,000 miles bonus on the platinum plus. No $99 companion ticket fee, and a $50 annual fee instead of $75.  However, the $50 annual fee is offset by a $50 discount coupon each year on the anniversary of the card to put towards a ticket purchased from Alaska AIrlines website.  I don't see the worh in keeping this card for the small bonus. I'll how to sleep on it. I hate being mislead! 

Message 7 of 11
12njoy
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Wow, how misleading Bank of America are. I just read the fine print and you guys are correct, it states:  if your application is approved with a credit line that is greater than or equal to $5,000, you will receive a Visa Signature® account; if the credit line is less than $5,000, you will receive a Platinum Plus® account.  

Instead of 25,000 miles bonus, I will receieve 5,000 miles bonus on the platinum plus. No $99 companion ticket fee, and a $50 annual fee instead of $75.  However, the $50 annual fee is offset by a $50 discount coupon each year on the anniversary of the card to put towards a ticket purchased from Alaska AIrlines website.  I don't see the worh in keeping this card for the small bonus. I'll how to sleep on it. I hate being mislead! 

Do you have any other BofA and/or FIA cards?  If so, you could always reallocate to get the signature version.  That's what I did to get mine.

(Formerly known as: Credit is my hobby (1.6M)/TCL objective)
___________ 12Njoy
FICO - EX 810; EQ 797; TU 804 I'm climbing back to 800+
Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I reallocated my all my cards into the Visa Signature card. You can do that. Very easy process and requires no waiting time.

Message 9 of 11
RonM21
Valued Contributor

Congrats on the approval

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.