cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

American Express Credit Card (BCE) or Charge Card (Green)

tag
Spincel

American Express Credit Card (BCE) or Charge Card (Green)

Hey guys. I just want some recommendations from you guys about new application. Apparrently I really want to have an AMEX since there are a lot of promotions and deals that would benefit myseft if I have AMEX. Last year, I was aiming for the ZYNC but could not pull the trigger fast enough when they still have that card. Now my option is only between BCE and Green. Well I really hate the AF, but I kind of like the charge card since I hardly carrying balance every month. So I could not decide which one is better for me at this point. Also, I just receive a pre-approval mail from AMEX for the BCE (I think I trashed it away but they still have me on the system when I use the checking offers system). Now, would someone suggest some idea for me? Which one will be more chance to get approved than the other?

Background of myself: I am now a senior - 21 years old - in college (full time) and I only work part-time during the weekend. So this could affect the application because my income will not be that great (less than 10k but more than 5k). Still I don't use much the money per month, just enough for food and for some online shopping. My current credit cards are BoA Student (1k limit - rarely using), Chase Freedom (2.5k limit - authorized user of my parent, primarily for gas), and lastly Discover IT (1k limit, primary card for everything nowadays). I don't know exactly the AAoA but the oldest is BoA since 2011 and the newest is Discover since 2012 . Currently I only have 2 inquiries on my report (I think both from Discover). My ultilization most of the time was less than 3% because I paid my balance in full before the statement. Although I don't have much income, I still have some scholarship fund from my university and I still on my student loan (currently about 10k). Last but not least, my FICO score that I just got from Discover is 775.

Just for those info, what is the chance that I could get approved for either one of them? Moreover, what should I put on my application the income part? Do I include the scholarship or just my part-time job income? And say if I can get the BCE, will there be any chane for me in the future that AMEX will approve me for the charge card? I heard the rumor about the return of ZYNC but who know if it is true or not.

Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
titanofold
Established Contributor

Re: American Express Credit Card (BCE) or Charge Card (Green)

Usually getting the charge card is easier than getting a CC from AmEx. With that score, I'd say you're a shoe in for BCE.

Hurry up and apply so you can have a MSD of 2013!

Scores2013-09-21Current
Equifax630 (LP)755 (CK)/749 (Quizzle)
Experian640 (FCR)FICO 707 (Amex)
TransUnion588 (CK)FICO 754 (Barclaycard)
Message 2 of 17
samm90
New Contributor

My score was similar to yours when I applied. Similar file low income. They gave me 6k. I'd app now, or at least by the end of the month. Make sure you get the 150 for 500 spend.
Discover Tu 730(2/14) DCU Eq 725(2/28)

Bouncing back from new accts and inqs. Hope to be back over 760 soon.
Message 3 of 17
kkapdolee
Frequent Contributor

I think you have a good chance at BCE. App now and get MSD of 2013.

[10%+] Internet, Cable, Cell phone
[5%] Gas, Grocery, Amazon, Airline tickets, Drug Stores, Dept. Stores, Target, MyHabit
[3%] Restaurants
[2%] Everything Else
Message 4 of 17
Spincel

So what kind of things that I can include to the income portion? Beside my actual part-timer income, will it be wised to include the scholarship fund and other stuff? I am also getting some money every month for taking care of my cousins, so will I add it into the income or not?

Message 5 of 17
samm90
New Contributor

I included all money coming into my accts, but I don't have scholarships so that is your call.
Discover Tu 730(2/14) DCU Eq 725(2/28)

Bouncing back from new accts and inqs. Hope to be back over 760 soon.
Message 6 of 17
grinlikechelsea
Established Contributor

@Spincel wrote:

So what kind of things that I can include to the income portion? Beside my actual part-timer income, will it be wised to include the scholarship fund and other stuff? I am also getting some money every month for taking care of my cousins, so will I add it into the income or not?

Since you're a student, I would include scholarships as income. I did so on my Amex app. As for the money you get for taking care of your cousins, I don't see any reason why you couldn't add that as well Smiley Happy

Message 7 of 17
irrational
Frequent Contributor

@kkapdolee wrote:

I think you have a good chance at BCE. App now and get MSD of 2013.

Agreed!

Also, I've heard if you apply for two cards on the same day they won't nevessarily do two HP. So if you app for the BCE and get declined, you might as well turn right around and app for the Green... No additional harm at that point.

Also, FWIW, if you're against AF, I'd seriously not consider the Green. It's really not that great of a card, and the AF of $95 is pretty steep (when compared to the AF and benefits of the BCP). Just my 2-cents. 

Current Score: TU (discover) 720 - 6/29/14 | EQ (score watch) 777 - 7/19/14 - Last App 7/21/14

NPSL          |      $27,600         |      $15,000      |      $7,000      |     $2,800     |      $11,000    |      $13,530      |      $5,200
Message 8 of 17
cottoncrown
Frequent Contributor

I'm sure you will get it. Go the ought the creditcards.com card finder tool. You are likely pre approved and will get the 12.99 apr and a larger sign up bonus (150). Good luck!
Message 9 of 17
JeffM
Contributor

Let me know how it goes. I'm in a similar position (Student/Low income/Decent FICO score) and planning on going for the BCE

Wells Fargo Cash Back - $2400 || Bank of America Cash Rewards - $5000 || Discover IT - $5000 || American Express BCE - $15000

FICO TU - 769
Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.