Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex BCE approval for student

tag
Ravensfan2001
Established Contributor

Amex BCE approval for student

Just found out that my 19-year-old was approved for American Express BCE after a mini app spree. So here is his credit profile now:

3 student loans
Capital One Journey $500 (August 2012)
Discover More $1500 (Jan 2013)
Citi Forward $2500 (March 2013)
Chase Freedom (March 2013)
Amex BCE (March 2013)

The CLs for Chase and Amex were not disclosed.

I'm just surprised that Amex approved him. From what I've read here, Amex Green is what people need to get their foot in the door.

Now, I'm hoping he'll learn a few things from me and take care of his credit (and not make the mistakes that I did). He's a responsible kid overall, just hoping he stays that way. Smiley Happy

... I'm taking him gardening...

Starting Scores: (4/16/12 lender pull) TU 596 | EX 550 | EQ 576
Current Score (9/3/15): Wally TU 639 | Amex EX 628 | DCU EQ 639
Goals: Homeowner as of 9/27/2013. Last app 8/1/15. TU-5; EX-16; EQ-13. Aiming for ZERO inqs.
Message 1 of 24
23 REPLIES 23
fledgling

Re: Amex BCE approval for student

I'm actually a 19-year-old who was just approved for the BCE in March. I had the Amex Green but only for one month. So I guess the requirement for BCE, at least length of credit history wise, isn't really that high. 

Message 2 of 24
myjourney
Super Contributor

He's very responsible and with a nice set of cards. You should be proud you taught him well

@Ravensfan2001 wrote:
Just found out that my 19-year-old was approved for American Express BCE after a mini app spree. So here is his credit profile now:

3 student loans
Capital One Journey $500 (May or June 2012)
Discover More $1500 (Jan 2013)
Citi Forward $2500 (March 2013)
Chase Freedom (March 2013)
Amex BCE (March 2013)

The CLs for Chase and Amex were not disclosed.

I'm just surprised that Amex approved him. From what I've read here, Amex Green is what people need to get their foot in the door.

Now, I'm hoping he'll learn a few things from me and take care of his credit (and not make the mistakes that I did). He's a responsible kid overall, just hoping he stays that way. Smiley Happy

... I'm taking him gardening...

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 3 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

My question to the OP: Before your son was approved for these cards, did you have him listed as an authorized user on any of your accounts?

The reason I ask is because I find it hard to believe that these prime lenders would extend such generous limits to someone with limited credit history (besides student loan).

Either way, that's pretty awesome!

Message 4 of 24
boomhower
Valued Contributor

Green is over rated as an entry to Amex.  I was also approved for a BCP with two collections showing.  Granted my overall score was a bit over 700 at the time but most said it wouldn't happen without a Green first.  

Message 5 of 24
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

I didn't go the charge card route; I just cold app'ed for BCE and got it! I am 23
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 6 of 24
WarJar101
Frequent Contributor

I'm closing my charge card and delta skymiles eventually, I should've just tapped straight for the BCE. Smh. Congrats to your son
Rebuilding...been out of the game for a minute. Now, after suffering I'm back with greater wisdom. Scores: Currently @ around 6 teens to 20's, across all three EQ,TU, EX
Message 7 of 24
nolongeraneqaddict
Valued Member

@Anonymous wrote:

My question to the OP: Before your son was approved for these cards, did you have him listed as an authorized user on any of your accounts?

The reason I ask is because I find it hard to believe that these prime lenders would extend such generous limits to someone with limited credit history (besides student loan).

Either way, that's pretty awesome!

to add an extra data point I app'ed straight for BCE didnt go charge card route and got it with starting limit of $7500. Scores were 690's-720's and had a util of about 30%. Oldest account from 2005.

START (01/13):TU: 701 | EQ: 692 | EX: 706
CURRENT: TU: 739 (FICO 5/13) | EQ: 711 (FICO 2/13) | EX: 725 (PLUS 5/13) in the garden since 3/9/2013
GOALS: 750 by 01/14
Chase Sapphire Preferred | Chase Marriott Rewards Premier | Chase Freedom | Chase Slate | AMEX Blue Cash Everday | Citi Dividend |
Citi Simplicity | USAA Rewards | Walmart Discover |
Message 8 of 24
KatherineLee
Valued Member

I got an AMEX BCE with 15k limit at age 24.  TU FICO 740.  Oldest account, 5 years student loan account. 

Congrats to your son.

I think I need to give Chase a call about a Freedom card. 

Message 9 of 24
CruzImperial
Established Contributor

Grats!!
Fico Scores: . Walmart TU 748 . Garden 8/19 2014 .

Cap One Journey 500 | Discover IT 500 | GE Home Design 5.6k | GE HHGREGG 5k | Amex Zync NPSL | Amex BCE 6k | Citi Forward 4.2k | Citi Dividend 3k | GE BrandsMart 1k | GE Lowes 8.5k | Discover Walmart 7.5k | Barclays Apple 2.5k | BoA CR 2.7k | CSP 7.2k | Platinum Prestige 5k | IT Chrome 4k | Slate 2.3k |
Message 10 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.