Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex BCP Approved - Should I be happy?

tag
cowboyguy
Regular Contributor

Amex BCP Approved - Should I be happy?

Just got approved for Amex BCP with a $2000 limit. Have a few questions:

1) Is this a sought after card like CSP? What is the best benefit of this card? 6% cash back?

2) Is it possible that they waive $75 annual fee for the first year? I tried calling them in & they say they can't. Have people in the past been successful at getting the first year AF waived?

3) I applied online directly on Amex website but I didn't read anywhere that I need to spend $1000 in the first three months. I've noticed in some of the threads people saying that $1000 need to be spent in the first 3 months for something.

TECHNICAL QUESTION:

4) I got my 61 days 3X CLI on Amex Delta 2 months ago. Can I still apply for the 3X CLI for Delta after 4 months now or do I need to wait an additional 6 months from now? Does the 3X CLI applies after 6 months from getting the last CLI or even getting a new card renews that 6 month period?

6) Other than BCP, I now have Amex Delta, Chase Freedom, Walmart Discover & Chase SW Airline cards. It seems like I should now only use BCP for Supermarkets, Gas... infact for everything except the 5% rotating categories for Freedom. Is this strategy right?

Walmart Discover $10,000... Chase SW $8,500... Freedom $7,000... CSP $6,000... Amex Delta $3,000... Amex BCP $2,000... Local CU $1,500...
Message 1 of 26
25 REPLIES 25
LS2982
Mega Contributor

Re: Amex BCP Approved - Should I be happy?

@cowboyguy wrote:

1) Is this a sought after card like CSP? What is the best benefit of this card? 6% cash back?

2) Is it possible that they waive $75 annual fee for the first year? I tried calling them in & they say they can't. Have people in the past been successful at getting the first year AF waived?

3) I applied online directly on Amex website but I didn't read anywhere that I need to spend $1000 in the first three months. I've noticed in some of the threads people saying that $1000 need to be spent in the first 3 months for something.

TECHNICAL QUESTION:

4) I got my 61 days 3X CLI on Amex Delta 2 months ago. Can I still apply for the 3X CLI for Delta after 4 months now or do I need to wait an additional 6 months from now? Does the 3X CLI applies after 6 months from getting the last CLI or even getting a new card renews that 6 month period?

6) Other than BCP, I now have Amex Delta, Chase Freedom, Walmart Discover & Chase SW Airline cards. It seems like I should now only use BCP for Supermarkets, Gas... infact for everything except the 5% rotating categories for Freedom. Is this strategy right?

CONGRATS!!!

I would definitely use for Groceries and gas when freedom isn't 5%.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 2 of 26
bs6054
Valued Contributor

@cowboyguy wrote:

TECHNICAL QUESTION:

1) Somewhat, but why should you care!  In the general population (outside Myfico) it's not a hard card to get.

2) They do seem tough on this, but some might have managed.

3) Depending on the offer, the cash back ($150-250) offer requires an initial spend.  Most cards with bonuses are like this, you usually have 2-3 months to reach that spend.

4) I would think so.  4 months from now satisfies both the 6 month rule between increases and the 61 days on this card.

6) (no 5!):  Well you get 6% on groceries (up to $6K a year), 3% on gas and certain department stores.  1% on everything else.  Doesn't the Freedom at least also give 1% on non categories?  So outside of the special categories for each card, choose the card that gives what you value most, cash back, Delta miles etc.

Message 3 of 26
L0RDAVENTAD0R
Frequent Contributor

@cowboyguy wrote:

6% cash back at stand-alone U.S. supermarkets ($6,000 purchases cap for groceries/$360 cash back cap for groceries), 3% cash back at stand-alone U.S. gas stations, 3% cash back at major department stores, 1% cash back on everything else, & $150 reward dollars after spending $1,000 in the first three months.

9 times out 10 they will not waive the AF for the first year for the BCP.

http://i50.tinypic.com/fviy34.jpg 

TECHNICAL QUESTION:

Yes you can still apply for your 3x CLI on the Delta.

Yes.

Message 4 of 26
Sevenfeet
Regular Contributor

Yes, you should be happy.  The Amex BCP is one of the more sought after cards around here, along with it's no-AF twin, the BCE.  The big difference is the amount of discount you get for groceries/gas (6%/3% respectively for BCP, 3%/2% for BCE) and the fact that the BCP carries the annual fee.  The whole point is that if you buy enough groceries to offset the annual fee, then you will make out in the positive.  That's pretty easy if you are feeding a family or even a married couple.  It's harder if you're single, but not that hard (assuming you don't eat out every day).  All you have to do is spend at least $2500 a year in groceries and you've justified the BCP over the BCE.

Message 5 of 26
enharu
Super Contributor

Grats!!!! I wish Amex would just show me some love too. They just don't like me
JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 6 of 26
cowboyguy
Regular Contributor

Oh it seems like I didn't take advantage of any offer. I simply visited their website & applied for the card.

Will I be still eligible for the bonus promotion? Is there any way I could become eligible for that?

Walmart Discover $10,000... Chase SW $8,500... Freedom $7,000... CSP $6,000... Amex Delta $3,000... Amex BCP $2,000... Local CU $1,500...
Message 7 of 26
HiLine
Blogger

A lot of these questions you should have asked before applying Smiley Wink

Message 8 of 26
bs6054
Valued Contributor

@cowboyguy wrote:

Oh it seems like I didn't take advantage of any offer. I simply visited their website & applied for the card.

Will I be still eligible for the bonus promotion? Is there any way I could become eligible for that?

I would think if you applied from the website you should have the promotion.   If it's not listed in the documentation you got with the card (can't remember if it is) I would call and ask.

Message 9 of 26
boomhower
Valued Contributor

@cowboyguy wrote:

Who cares if it's sought after?  What matters are if the benefits fit you usage.  The CSP is sought after but I don't travel so it's useless to me.  If the cash program suits your uses it's a good card.  The 6% and 3% categories are the biggest draws plus the typical Amex perks.

They are pretty hardline on it.  You can try but not likely to be successful.

If they had a cash back offer there will be a minimum spend level in a set period of time.  The bigger the offer the bigger the spend typically.

TECHNICAL QUESTION:

Not 100% sure but you should be able to do a 61 day 3x. 

Use whichever card has the biggest cash back on the purchase.  For the purchases that aren't in a catergory and are just going to be 1% regardless use whichever card you prefer the rewards for.  If you like Ultimaterewards use the Freedom, same for Discover or Amex.  I prefer Amex for my 1% categories, just personal preference. 

see bolded.

Message 10 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.