Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex BCP credit limit increase

tag
FutureBillionaire
Established Contributor

Amex BCP credit limit increase

I've seen mentions of a 60 day CLI with BCP and BCE.  Is this a soft pull?  Do we have to request it, or does it auto pull?  I've had mine since August.  I got a generous limit, but some of you have mentioned a 3x increase.  What's the deal with this?

Gas: Discover It, Penfed Platinum Rewards x2, Chase freedom, Citi TYP
Plane tickets: CSP
Groceries: AMEX BCP, Penfed Platinum Rewards,Citi TYP
Clothes: Express, Amex BCP, Discover IT
Amazon: Citi Forward, Cash +
Restaurants: Citi Forward, Chase Freedom, Discover IT, CSP
Hotels and other travel: Discover Escape, CSP
Movies: BofA travel rewards visa signature(fandango), Discover IT, Citi Forward, Freedom
Bars, clubs, tomfoolery: CSP, Citi Forward, Discover IT, Freedom
Balance transfers: Kroger 123 rewards
Bill Pay: Chase Ink Plus, Citi Forward,
Everyday spending: Bofa Accelerated cash rewards amex, Discover Escape
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
chnceit
Valued Contributor

Re: Amex BCP credit limit increase

Yup its a soft pull and its not automatic, its a customer initiated CLI request. You can request to increase 3 times your current limit 61 days after activation. Example 2k current request to 6k. If denied then AMEX could counter offer or deny you all together.

Last Pulled EQ: 809
Last Credit Card App: 02/05/2016
Last CLI: 02/06/2016
Find Me: Gardening
Message 2 of 14
kevinjjc
Valued Contributor

+1

What chnceit said. Also, it's supposedly 3X up to 25k.

Message 3 of 14
greenpang
Contributor

I've been meaning to ask this...

DH and I both got our Amex BCEs in July 2012.

My initial CL: 4k

DH's initial CL: 2.5k

I didn't know about the 3x CLI yet when I requested my increase (early November) and stupidly only asked for 8k. (Kicking myself now, that card should be at 12k!)

We called DH's next and figured we'd ask for higher since I got the 8k I requested. He requested 15k and got 7.5 (makes sense... 3x 2.5).

Anyone know how this will factor into my next CLI? I'll ask for another in May.

Credit Scores: FICOs: TU 721 | Plus FAKOs: EX 726, EQ 739, TU 735 | CK FAKOs: Transrisk 689, Vantage 790
My Wallet: Amex Green (NPSL) | Amex SPG (21.6K) | Citi ThankYou Preferred (10.5K) | Amex BCE (8K) | US Air Premier MC (9.5K) | Chase Sapphire Preferred (8.5K) | Chase Freedom (5K) | Barclays Arrival (5K) | Pier 1 (2.5K) | Express (0.8K) | Kohl's (0.5K)
DH's Wallet (AU): Amex PRG (NPSL) | Chase Sapphire Preferred (26.2K) | Amex Delta (22.5K) | Barclays Arrival (12.8K) | CareCredit (8K) | Amex BCE (7.5K) | Chase Freedom (7K) | Sears Citi (6K) | Victoria's Secret (1K)
Message 4 of 14
armbenderc
Valued Contributor

@greenpang wrote:

I've been meaning to ask this...

DH and I both got our Amex BCEs in July 2012.

My initial CL: 4k

DH's initial CL: 2.5k

I didn't know about the 3x CLI yet when I requested my increase (early November) and stupidly only asked for 8k. (Kicking myself now, that card should be at 12k!)

We called DH's next and figured we'd ask for higher since I got the 8k I requested. He requested 15k and got 7.5 (makes sense... 3x 2.5).

Anyone know how this will factor into my next CLI? I'll ask for another in May.

You can ask for another 3x cli in May (6 months after your 61 days) for up to 25k and sometimes more. Some people are getting over 25k, but some gets FR for asking over 25k.

2013 Approvals: Discover IT - 3/1, Amex BCE - 3/4, CSP - 5/4, Barclay Ring - 6/12, BoA Privileges Cash - 6/27, Citi TY Preferred - 8/6, OCCU Duck - 11/4, USBank (Cash+) - 11/22, Wells Fargo - 12/21, Nordstrom - 12/29

12/19/2013, $100k+ Available Credit. Total Util: 0-1%
Message 5 of 14
iloverewards
Valued Member

armbenderc wrote: You can ask for another 3x cli in May (6 months after your 61 days) for up to 25k and sometimes more. Some people are getting over 25k, but some gets FR for asking over 25k.

Is the 6 mo. Cli subject to a 3x ceiling too?

Chase Sapphire Preferred | Freedom | IHG Rewards Club
Citi Dividend | Simplicity | AAdvantage
Discover It
Capital One Quicksilver
Amex Blue Cash
Barclay Arrival | NFL Extra Points
Bank of America Better Balance Rewards
US Bank Platinum Visa
Message 6 of 14
nicholasyud
Valued Contributor

To anyone give a wrong information about CLI :

How can I apply for a line of credit increasefor my American Express Card?

We do not increase an account's credit limit during the first 60 days after it has been opened, or for at least 6 months from the last credit limit increase. After that time has passed, if you are still interested in applying for an increased credit limit, you can check to see if you are eligible to change your credit limit online by logging into your account and going to your Profile & Preferences or you can call the number on the back of your Card to speak with one of our customer care professionals.

Starting Score: 560
Current Score: ?
Goal Score: 800
Message 7 of 14
ficojoe
Frequent Contributor

Is the $25k ceiling (FR risk increase) per card or combined for all AmEx in your name?

Message 8 of 14
bs6054
Valued Contributor

@ficojoe wrote:

Is the $25k ceiling (FR risk increase) per card or combined for all AmEx in your name?

It's not a real FR, just a request for you to send them a 4506T, so they can get a transcript of your tax returns.  If you refuse, your account stays open, you just don't get a CLI.  (In a real FR, your accounts are frozen before they notify you).

I have only one Amex, so I can't tell!  Others haven't mentioned being asked for this below $25K per card though, although that doesn't make too much sense.  (If Amex needs proof to go beyond $25K on one card, it would seem it should ask for that on combined credit lines).  Maybe a poster here with multiple cards adding up to more than $25K can tell.

Message 9 of 14
ficojoe
Frequent Contributor

@bs6054 wrote:

@ficojoe wrote:

It's not a real FR, just a request for you to send them a 4506T, so they can get a transcript of your tax returns.  If you refuse, your account stays open, you just don't get a CLI.  (In a real FR, your accounts are frozen before they notify you).

At least half of my income in tax-exempt, I'm not sure what AmEx would do if they looked at my tax returns. I correctly reported my income, which can be supported through bank statements, but my tax returns do not reflect my actual income.

My local credit union only gave me credit for about 1/3rd of my income after reviewing my taxes.

Anyhow, I want to avoid a FR.

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.