cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Gold: To Apply or Not To Apply??? (Update: Approved)

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex Gold: To Apply or Not To Apply??? (Update: Approved)

Credit Karma says my odds are "Very Good" (grain of salt at the ready), and I really want to apply but I'm very hesitant. FAKO Scorsese are TU 683 Exp 676 (Amex's favorite), Eq 673. I've check my REAL scores and they're not too far off (surprised) I've got 7-10 inquiries over the past 18 months as I've been trying to build my credit...yeah I know I went nuts but I did ok. I was able to get the Amex Delta Gold and the Amex Everyday (so I can't check for preapproval) Both have low limits though, 1K each. Have a few others , capital one, chase, Boa and I pay off balances every month so the fact that this is a charge card makes no difference to me. Am I being greedy and am I falling for the old Credit Karma okey doke?

I've updated your subject to reflect your approval; feel free to edit if you would like.  --UB

Message 1 of 24
23 REPLIES 23
bourgogne
Valued Contributor

Re: Amex Gold: To Apply or Not To Apply???

@Anonymous wrote:
Credit Karma says my odds are "Very Good" (grain of salt at the ready), and I really want to apply but I'm very hesitant. FAKO Scorsese are TU 683 Exp 676 (Amex's favorite), Eq 673. I've check my REAL scores and they're not too far off (surprised) I've got 7-10 inquiries over the past 18 months as I've been trying to build my credit...yeah I know I went nuts but I did ok. I was able to get the Amex Delta Gold and the Amex Everyday (so I can't check for preapproval) Both have low limits though, 1K each. Have a few others , capital one, chase, Boa and I pay off balances every month so the fact that this is a charge card makes no difference to me. Am I being greedy and am I falling for the old Credit Karma okey doke?

welcome.  creditchecktotal will have your real fico scores.  forget CK.  the prg is a travel card, do you see yourself using it and commiting to the mr way of life vs chase?  good family card, 5 au's.  should be high ~600s to apply.  go see if you have a pre-qual.

Message 2 of 24
wasCB14
Super Contributor

The regular Amex Gold ($160 AF) is pretty much garbage in my opinion.

If you'll make good use of the rewards (and/or benefits) the $195 Premier Rewards Gold or the $450 (soon to be $550) Platinum can make sense. You pay more with those, but you get much, much more. I have a variant of Platinum.

If you don't need PRG or Platinum, they maybe just don't get a charge card and look elsewhere.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 3 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

@wasCB14 wrote:

If you'll make good use of the rewards (and/or benefits) the $195 Premier Rewards Gold or the $450 (soon to be $550) Platinum can make sense. You pay more with those, but you get much, much more. I have a variant of Platinum.

If you don't need PRG or Platinum, they maybe just don't get a charge card and look elsewhere.

+1

Message 4 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@wasCB14 wrote:

+1

Plus the PRG comes with a $100 airline credit which effectively makes the AF $95.

Message 5 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

You should be good. CK gave me a good and i applied and got accepted instantly. $2.5k boa prior was my only card
Message 6 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the advice, I just checked today and here are the numbers:  EX-739 EQ-735 TU-761.  Here's my concern, I know they check Experian (frequent soft pulls for current cardholders -I have the Amex ED and the Delta Gold ) and I'm showing the last time they did so was on or about March 20th.  My EX was about 680 then with 32% Utilization.  My Utilization is now 9%.  I'm afraid if they use the March 20th soft pull, they will decline me.  Plus, I have quite a few inquires when I first started rebuilding a year ago, 5 with Amex alone!!!  

My question now is, is there any way to find out if they've performed a soft full since March 20th?  

Thanks again for your advise, I really appreciate it...I'm somewhat new to this credit game. 

Message 7 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just wait until the end of April to be sure. Also don't sign up for less than a 50k bonus. They have them all the time.

Message 8 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

I got mine in December 2016. It's a great card but I have yet to use any benefits lol. I'll see if I do before the AF comes up!
Message 9 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Just curious...have you taken advantage of you 3x cli after 61 days for your Amex cards. You would have to choose which one you would like to increase...check out this thread

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Card-Applications/The-Definitive-Amex-3X-CLI-Guide/td-p/1811071

Message 10 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.